Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which hatchbacks can swallow two bikes inside?

I'm looking for a daily driver that can haul two bikes upright (front wheels removed) inside the vehicle. The Element was my 1st choice but I need something a bit cheaper (even used Elements with reasonable mileage are expensive).

Aside from the Element, I am looking into the following vehicles:
    - used Mazda 5
    - used Subaru Forester

Anyone here use one of these vehicles for bike transport? Can they swallow two upright bikes with the front wheels removed (one being a XL framed 29er)?

Any other vehicle suggestions? Looking for a hatchback/crossover that gets good gas mileage and is somewhat fun to drive priced under $16k.
    Signature

dirt roadie
    Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe
    See this thread for interior bike rack pics: Matrix inside-the-car rack (as promised)
    You do have to take the seat post out though.

My brother gets near 40mpg out of his, with a 5spd manual and the base engine.

Aquaman
    We used to own a Mazda Tribute which is just a renamed Ford Escape. It was a great car, milage was so so at about 23+. I bet you could pick up a used one for dirt cheap. I have heard nothing but good things from Vibe owners. Why not a wagon??. We are about to replace our daily comute car with either a focus wagon or Vibe.

Honda Fit is another option. It's more compact, but has cavernous hauling capacity. Just carried 2 bikes in the back on a trip from Pittsburgh to Cleveland to visit Ray's. It's a fun-to-drive car. Just get the manual if you get one. The auto isn't as good. I get upper 30's on the highway with a Thule rack on the roof. I get a solid 35 with bikes or a canoe on top of said rack. It's a nice car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Chevy HHR, 2 bikes upright without having to remove the seat post (at least on with my size of frames). Good gas mileage 30-33 on highway and 24-25 around town with the 2.4L engine, inexpensive and has been extremely reliable.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Honda Element.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Volkswagen Golf/GTi of any year. My 1986 GTi hold two bikes and gets 45mpg around town, but more like 27mpg on the highway due to the low gear ratios, ie 80mph is +4000rpm. My 2000 Golf TDi(diesel) hold two bikes, maybe three and get 50mpg. The newer ones are even bigger, but more money then used.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie
    but more like 27mpg on the highway due to the low gear ratios, ie 80mph is +4000rpm.
    I'm not sure what kind of cars you're comparing to, but that ain't a very low gear ratio.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

My wife currently drives an '07 Rabbit with a roof rack as our main bike transport. Oddly enough I haven't tried putting a bike inside of it yet. I'm trying to split the bike transport between her Rabbit and my next car. Her car already has 18k miles on it...and we've only had it for a year. Yikes.

I'm a HUGE VW fan and I'd love to get my hands on an 04-05 TDI 5-door Golf, Jetta wagon, or Passat wagon....but everyone I see up for sale has rediculously high mileage and an inflated price tag. Seen quite a few that are asking upwards of $5-6k OVER the listed used retail values on KBB, Edmunds, and NADA. Did VW include crack with these cars?

The new diesel Jetta wagon would be ideal. However I am sure that car will be priced in the low 20's BEFORE all the dealer markups since everyone is foaming at the mouth for a gas sipper that isn't a hybrid. Apparently there is already a waiting list for these cars.

The more I look into the Mazda5 the more I'm digging it. Seems to have quite a bit of versatility yet still seems fun to drive. Think I may give one a test drive. Betting I could easily fit a couple bikes, all my gear, a cooler, etc in the back of that beast with no problem.
    Signature

Flying Goat
    Honda Element...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    The more I look into the Mazda5 the more I'm digging it.
    That's probably a solid choice. It's funny when these questions come up that people keep suggesting things like minis and ultra-small vehicles. Maybe they ride BMX bikes or something. That or "fits two bikes" means that a fork is sticking out over your head and the crankarm is sticking out the window.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I'm not sure what kind of cars you're comparing to, but that ain't a very low gear ratio.

I am comparing it to other Volkswagens I've had and it is by far the buzziest of the bunch on the highway. For instance my Golf is @3000rpm at 80mph. Not saying it's bad, in fact it is the best car I own. I very rarely drive on the highway. Oh, these are with the manual gearboxes.

The diesel Volkswagens have a cult following and since there are not many of them then people can command high prices. Check out prices for the old Vanagons, now they are crazy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie
    I am comparing it to other Volkswagens I've had and it is by far the buzziest of the bunch on the highway. For instance my Golf is @3000rpm at 80mph. Not saying it's bad, in fact it is the best car I own. I very rarely drive on the highway. Oh, these are with the manual gearboxes.

The diesel Volkswagens have a cult following and since there are not many of them then people can command high prices. Check out prices for the old Vanagons, now they are crazy.
    Gotcha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll second the Honda Fit. I replaced my 03 CRV for a Fit a few months ago and I'm very happy with it. Oddly enough, the interior storage is almost as big in the Fit as what I had with the CRV. It's not as long but it's has high and almost as large. Two bikes fit perfectly upright but they have to be a bit sideways due to lenght so there wont be a whole lot of free space. When I was with the CRV the bikes would fit upright and straight on one side so there was still plenty of space for my tools, camping equipment and so on. In the fit, there is still space but I don't think I'd be able to fit all my bike and camping stuff for a week as well as two bikes. I got myself a roof rack for those trips. Anyway, the Fit is a pretty nice little car and like suggested below, if you get one, take a manual, it feels like driving a go-kart and it gets much better mpg...

mtbr member

Mini?

Where did you see anyone recommend a Mini in this post?

You might be able to get a bike inside with both wheels off or at least the front but not two standing. In fact, I hardly see any recommendation that would enable two bikes to be stored inside "standing." That is a "tall" order. My Subaru Outback sure as heck would not allow you to transport even one bike standing. I tried. (Yes, I also have a Mini)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    Where did you see anyone recommend a Mini in this post?

You might be able to get a bike inside with both wheels off or at least the front but not two standing. In fact, I hardly see any recommendation that would enable two bikes to be stored inside "standing." That is a "tall" order. My Subaru Outback sure as heck would not allow you to transport even one bike standing. I tried. (Yes, I also have a Mini)
    The Honda Fit is a much taller vehicle. It really does work in there and posts abound on the forum as examples (with pictures). I do have room inside mine for 2 bikes (rear tires fit between the seats), wheels, tools, and camping gear for two PLUS a dog.

My Fit has a lot more headroom than my Jeep Liberty. In the Liberty, the bikes fit upright, but the seaposts have to come out. Not so on the Fit. You won't realize it looking at the outside of the car. You have to get inside, play around with the folding rear seats, and see for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    The Honda Fit is a much taller vehicle. It really does work in there and posts abound on the forum as examples (with pictures). I do have room inside mine for 2 bikes (rear tires fit between the seats), wheels, tools, and camping gear for two PLUS a dog.

My Fit has a lot more headroom than my Jeep Liberty. In the Liberty, the bikes fit upright, but the seaposts have to come out. Not so on the Fit. You won't realize it looking at the outside of the car. You have to get inside, play around with the folding rear seats, and see for yourself.
    It's mostly because a genius at Honda had the idea to put the gas tank under the front row seats. This gave them plenty of space to lower the floor and with their flat folding back seat you end up with a very tall space in the back. Pretty surprising the first time you look at it. All my friends have been surprised up to now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have looked at the fit and with two bikes in it upright you are not going to be able to get much else in the car. Why not go with a small vehicle and roof rack and stick them up there? If you really want to have two bikes inside and room for other things you will need to go with something bigger. I have an element and it is a great all purpose hauler with a lot of space inside for what is a relatively small vehicle. But in my case i still haul my bikes on a hitch mounted rack.

The price is hard though - Honda's just retain their value better then most other vehicles. It does mean when if you sell it down the road you will getting way more back. When i bought my Element I sold my 7.5 year old prelude with 125,000km for 12,500(CAN). So the higher initial price was worth it for sure. If you plan to drive the car into the ground this won't help you though.

mtbr member
    We currently transport the bikes on the top of my wife's Rabbit. It works great, but I really want to transport my bikes inside of a vehicle (keeps them out of the elements and a bit further out of view of potential thieves). Plus there is so much damn wind noise with the roof rack...even with a fairing.

I owned a Fit for about 5-days back when they first came out. It was dreadfully slow and the driver seat cushion offered no forward support for my long legs which caused great discomfort after about 30 minutes of continuous driving. I made the dealership take the car back after we noticed a terrible paint defect...appears there was some sort of contamination in the primer or the base color coat before the clear was shot. The paint had large, dark, shadowy type spots in on the left quarter panel. They took the car back and sold it to someone else for full sticker price without disclosing the defect.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    a ford focus 5 door would fit the bill. ive got one, its a decent car, and relatively cheap
    Let The Good Times Roll

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    The more I look into the Mazda5 the more I'm digging it. Seems to have quite a bit of versatility yet still seems fun to drive. Think I may give one a test drive. Betting I could easily fit a couple bikes, all my gear, a cooler, etc in the back of that beast with no problem.
    Waiting to hear how your test drive goes. I think the Mazda5 is a strange little vehicle, but I would buy one if it works out right. I really want an Element though...

mtbr member
    One car I forgot to add to the list is a '05-06 Mazda 6 wagon (great V6, great trans, excellent handling, good reliability, etc). It is a shame Mazda discontinued this in the US, but I think it may make a comeback once the new version from Europe is brought over here for the '09 model year.

Anyone seen one of these swallow a couple upright bikes in the back?
    Signature

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Waiting to hear how your test drive goes. I think the Mazda5 is a strange little vehicle, but I would buy one if it works out right. I really want an Element though...

I rented a Mazda 5 for a trip to Tahoe, about 1000 miles there and back. It was pretty nice, and it got 35 mpg for the trip, pretty impressive considering its cargo capacity.

I'd probably have bought one if we had kids, but since the nest is empty we bought an Element, great bike hauler. Wish it got the Mazda's mpg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I rented a Mazda 5 for a trip to Tahoe, about 1000 miles there and back. It was pretty nice, and it got 35 mpg for the trip, pretty impressive considering its cargo capacity.

I'd probably have bought one if we had kids, but since the nest is empty we bought an Element, great bike hauler. Wish it got the Mazda's mpg.
    Hey Rufudufus, how did it handle bikes? Did you put them inside? Does it have any power?

mtbr member
    I currently drive a Matrix XRS, which is a great bike carrier and daily driver.
    I originally dismissed the Fit as being to small and under powered. the mpg seems low, most of the post in edmonds.com are saying low 20's for the automatic.

after reading these post about fiting bikes into the back of the Fit and great mileage with the manual car i will have to rethink my position on this car. but for now I have mucho power (180 hp) and mpg. over 30 on the highway. 25 in city. Maybe for my next car.

Oh yeah, I hate hybreds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast