FM
    luxatio erecta

handlebars hitting back window: hitch extension?

So I've got a 2010 xterra, 2" hitch, and kuat NV rack.
    Nearly all my friends and I run 30" handlebars, which leaves about 5" between the bars and my back window. On really rough roads (i.e. shuttling / driving off road with poor conditions), there's just enough slop in the hitch mount and flex in the rack for the handlebars to hit the back window.

This has been a problem on/off for 3 years, over the winter my back window shattered ($250) which I'm pretty sure was caused by the occasional handlebar banging. So I need to get this fixed!

Kuat does not recommend a hitch extension as it would add leverage, possibly another hitch bolt connection (more slop) etc. But at this point i need to do something, and of course the leverage would be a result of the extension length.

I've thought about getting some pipe insulation, or a floaty, that could be cut down & used as a "over the grip" bumper...

Is there a way to get a minimal (2"?) hitch extension?

Any other ideas to secure the bikes away from the window, or create more clearance?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Loosen the stem bolts and turn the handlebar so it doesn't come close to the window.

code: mtbr2011
    you can do a hitch extension, but you'll want to add in a tightening hitch pin so you don't get the wobble.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I wonder if just a tightening hitch pin alone might be enough to solve the issue? My older kuat does not have this, but does have their stabilizer knob thing (which doesn't seem to prevent the rack from bouncing up on bigger hits)

Rotating the bars is really not going to work as a long term solution with how often I ride and my OCD'ness about having my stem bolts torqued to spec (key to keeping my bike's front end quiet)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie View Post
    Loosen the stem bolts and turn the handlebar so it doesn't come close to the window.
    This is what I do. Not only will it help avoid your window, but it will help avoid damage to other bikes.
    I HATE using a hitch extension.

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Rotating the bars is really not going to work as a long term solution with how often I ride and my OCD'ness about having my stem bolts torqued to spec (key to keeping my bike's front end quiet)
    My best friend... Bontrager: Preset Torque Wrench (Model #08370)