mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Graber Trunk Rack Question

I picked up a used Graber trunk rack at a rummage sale, but I have a question about the carrier arm holddown saddle that I am hoping somebody can answer. One of the carrier arms (right arm in the photo) has a standard holddown, but the left carrier arm has a sturdier holddown saddle that can either be turned horizontal to secure the top tube of the bike, or it can be turned vertical to secure the seat tube of the bike. Does anyone know the correct orientation for these type of hold down saddles? I initially thought that horizontal was the correct orientation, however the fact that the saddle is not centered makes me wonder if vertical is the correct way.

Thanks!

slow
    Vertical is correct. That mount is designed to grab the seat tube to prevent swinging. Works best with a hard tail frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Great, thanks for the info! With racks like this in general, is it better to let the bikes mount with just the two holddowns, or is it better to use something additional to hold the bikes to the lower mounting arms of the rack? (i.e. a bungie cord around the bike frames holding them tight against the rack)

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by azxd04
    Great, thanks for the info! With racks like this in general, is it better to let the bikes mount with just the two holddowns, or is it better to use something additional to hold the bikes to the lower mounting arms of the rack? (i.e. a bungie cord around the bike frames holding them tight against the rack)
    For me, it depends upon how far I am going. For a quick trip across town, I don't use additional tie-downs. However, for a longer distance, I like to strap or bungee the wheels to keep them from spinning and / or possibly coming loose on the highway.

Another thing to watch out for with this type of rack is to make sure you do not hang a tire directly in front of your exhaust tail pipe, as it will burn a hole in your tire on a longer drive.