mtbr member

Got rearended yesterday need advice

I was stopped, waiting to pull out from an intersection when a girl drove into the back of me(texting I think). I had the bike rack unloaded andin the folded position and the rack took the hit directly. now there is a slight bend to the 1" tube that goes to the receiver and it appears the rack flexed enough to put a very slight crease in the tailgate.

its difficult to see the bend I'll try to get another pic with a straight edge later

now I'm not looking to fleece or exploit anyone I just want honest opinions, will the impact and resulting bend weaken the rack enough that I should worry about it failing later down the road or can I continue to to use it worry free? the insurance company wants me to take the rack and have the damage appraised but I have no idea where to take it. Has anyone been in a similar situation and know who I need to take it to? will a bike shop be able to do it?

thanks in advance
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Any time that metal has been forcefully bend out of the original shape it was made in, it is compromised in structural integrity. Over time that rack will fail and your bike(s) will be on the road behind you causing other people to incur damage for which YOU will be responsible.
    I understand you don't want to fleece the texting twit, but she should learn a lesson and pay attention while driving. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded by being nice as next time she may run over a pedestrian and go "oopsie" too. So make her pay for all you damages. If it gets ugly, subpoena her phone records and go from there...

As far as having the rack looked at, take it to a bike-shop that sells that brand and see what they say. Maybe go to 2 or 3 shops for that for a better average price.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I agree 110% with OscarW.

If it were my rack i would be way to nervous to ever use it again; no matter who checks it out.
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

ballbuster
    Third that. She should pay for the damage she caused.

For example, whenever your car in involved in the slightest accident if you have a baby seat in the car, insurance automatically replaced the baby seat... and that is inside the car.

If the rack fails with your bike on there, it not only trashes your bike, but can potentially cause a fatal accident. It's not just your own personal property at risk.

Get that hitch receiver replaced as well. It was for sure well over stressed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Truthfully they owe you the value of what was damaged, that said I'd get your local shop to write up an estimate for replacement cost. They should take that pretty easily.

code: mtbr2011
    get a new rack. it's finished. you may not see stress cracks in the steel. the last thing you want is to play nice guy and 2 months from now, find your bikes on the highway.

mtbr member
    thanks all for your responses,
    I take it in tomorrow for the insurance appraisal then I have to find someplace to take the rack to be appraised. Having never had to do this before I'm assuming I can just take it to REI where I originally purchased it? Does Thule train its dealers to provide damage assesment? or is there another way to go about this?

Vincit qui patitur
    Repairs cannot be done on dammaged racks other than straps, saddles, etc.
    Also, Since she hit you hard enough she is also resposible for damages on the vehicle as well a seat belt replacement. If the insurance balks at that they need to realize that if your seatbelt fails for any reason they are responsible for damages and injuries too should it fail or not properly operate in another collision.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    If the 1" tube is steel, it probably could be repaired and be just as strong or stronger than new. Steel is easy to repair and can be tested for damage. Insurance companies won't be impressed with comparisons between bike racks seat belts but they will give you a new rack if you have estimates that cost more than a new rack. Are you going to have the crease in your tailgate repaired? Maybe they could give you an estimate. If they do end up repairing it, make sure they do more than just bend it back and you should be fine.

Single Speed Junkie
    Funny that looks like the rack I had on my jeep after a recent rear end accident. Damage to the Jeep was minimal as was the rack. All it took was a call to their insurance and everything was covered. For the rack they asked what I had and how much it cost. I sent them a quote from the LBS and the replaced the entire rack. While I could have reused the damaged rack I did not want to risk having a failure on the road. My advice would be replace it. You are not abusing the insurance company as it was in an accident and was damaged. I would say it is reasonable to replace / repair ensuring you have a safe rack transporting your bikes.

Climbs = necessary evil
    When metal bends and stays bent, it's called plastic deformation and it causes dislocations in the atomic structure of the steel, which hardens the steel. To bend it back would cause further plastic deformation and more stress on the steel. It is possible to repair the damaged steel, but it requires heating to a specific temperature, holding it at the temperature for a specific period of time, and then cooling it in a controlled manner (process called annealing). Only that would return it to original condition.

Based on the slight bend, it doesn't looked like it's been stressed to failure, but the value of it has been significantly affected (i.e., it would be hard to sell if you wanted to). The best option is to tell the insurance company to replace the rack. I'd also have a shop inspect your hitch and make sure it wasn't damaged as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    Funny that looks like the rack I had on my jeep after a recent rear end accident. Damage to the Jeep was minimal as was the rack. All it took was a call to their insurance and everything was covered. For the rack they asked what I had and how much it cost. I sent them a quote from the LBS and the replaced the entire rack. While I could have reused the damaged rack I did not want to risk having a failure on the road. My advice would be replace it. You are not abusing the insurance company as it was in an accident and was damaged. I would say it is reasonable to replace / repair ensuring you have a safe rack transporting your bikes.

Repairs cannot be done on dammaged racks other than straps, saddles, etc.
    Also, Since she hit you hard enough she is also resposible for damages on the vehicle as well a seat belt replacement. If the insurance balks at that they need to realize that if your seatbelt fails for any reason they are responsible for damages and injuries too should it fail or not properly operate in another collision.

the rack is a Thule Doubletrack and its served me well over the years. I figured they would just replace the reiceiver/hinge peice and the bent tray but I guess Thule doesnt work that way. I AM getting full replacement cost of the rack though and they are repainting my tailgaite(which I am a bit nervous about) but I am thinking about paying the difference and gettting this rack insteadThule*-*916XTR T2.

Does anyone have any experience with the T2? It seems a little beefier than the Doubletrack and can be converted to a 4 bike carrier with an add on kit. Is it a worthy upgrade or should I just stick with what I have?

mtbr member
    If they offer you a check, go do the upgrade. If they want to buy it for you (doubt it) explain to them that you would like a different version that is a bit stronger, and that you will be happy to cover the differences. Your local shop should be able to work that out with you as well.

But I would bet they will be cutting you a check.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by NRSguy View Post
    the rack is a Thule Doubletrack and its served me well over the years. I figured they would just replace the reiceiver/hinge peice and the bent tray but I guess Thule doesnt work that way. I AM getting full replacement cost of the rack though and they are repainting my tailgaite(which I am a bit nervous about) but I am thinking about paying the difference and gettting this rack insteadThule*-*916XTR T2.

Does anyone have any experience with the T2? It seems a little beefier than the Doubletrack and can be converted to a 4 bike carrier with an add on kit. Is it a worthy upgrade or should I just stick with what I have?
    Yeah, we have an older version of that rack and it rocks. With the bikes loaded, you can pull a pin and lower the bikes to the ground to get better access to the tailgate if you have one. Best rack I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    How secure is it? Would it be easy to just yank the wheel out from under the hook?
    Also will it hold a 20" trials bike?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by NRSguy; 10-26-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by NRSguy View Post
    How secure is it? Would it be easy to just yank the wheel out from under the hook?
    Also will it hold a 20" trials bike?

On the spec sheet is says "Fits 20" to 29" wheel diameter bicycles with up to 3" wide tires" and it also says it has an integrated cable lock on the arm to tie to the frame, but it doesn't look very thick. We have an older version and just got a long beefy cable to run through the frames and tie to the hitch.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input and advice given in this thread ,it actually led to me calling Cracksandracks today instead of going back to REI and I now have a new Thule T2 rack on the way.

Scott went out of his way to answer all my questions and concerns and make sure I was getting the rack that suited my needs at a price I couldn't turn down.

mtbr member

My new T2 was delivered last night so I assembled and installed it this morning.Overall I like the rack but I'm wondering if my rack is defective or if thule just dropped the ball,there doesnt seem to be a retention system for the wheel hooks other than friction. Is this normal?

code: mtbr2011
    you've got it just right....the only strap is the one on the rear wheel.
    in theory, you can't roll the bike off because the ratchet arm will hit the fork, and you can't roll backwards because the ratchet arm is below the apex of the wheel curve.

did you get the clearance you needed for your tailgate??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    you've got it just right....the only strap is the one on the rear wheel.
    in theory, you can't roll the bike off because the ratchet arm will hit the fork, and you can't roll backwards because the ratchet arm is below the apex of the wheel curve.

did you get the clearance you needed for your tailgate??
    My apologies,this was another case of my brain and fingers refusing to cooperate with each other. The rack works exactly as expected ,better than expected actually with the bikes loaded on it.I grabbed one of the bikes I had loaded and pushed and pulled every direction and it was pretty obvious the bike wasnt coming loose without breaking something, I was pretty impressed.

The issue I'm referring to is when the the rack is folded up in the "stowed" position the arms with the wheel clamps dont lock in the "down" position and swing out toward the tailgate when I'm driving.So far they havent moved more than a couple inches but I wanted to know if they were supposed to lock on the folded position or if friction in the pivot was the only thing keeping them from moving.

And you were correct about the closest wheel tray it does hit the tailgate when lowered so I will be trimming that very soon

mtbr member
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I'd also have a shop inspect your hitch and make sure it wasn't damaged as well.
    Hitch and the mounting points on the frame, make sure none of the mounting bolts are half sheared. Then use that old rack to store bikes in your garage!
    ps. you might get a ticket for obstructed view of the license plate if you keep driving with the rack like that.

mtbr member
    Baseless assumptions much? if I didnt use my truck I wouldnt need the hitchrack.Besides that glorified blanket might be fine for saturday shuttle runs but it would be completely useless for cross country road trips.

took a video of the problem I'm having

there does seem to be a detent to keep the arm from moving but it doesnt seem to be aligned properly with the "folded" position allowing it to swing while I'm driving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    Hitch and the mounting points on the frame, make sure none of the mounting bolts are half sheared. Then use that old rack to store bikes in your garage!
    ps. you might get a ticket for obstructed view of the license plate if you keep driving with the rack like that.
    The car didnt hit me hard enough to damage the hitch itself, the rack absorbed most of the impact fortunately.