The need for singlespeed

Going through hell and high water for a CX-5

The wife and I decided on a Mazda CX-5 to replace her POS 2000 Hyundai. We found a good deal through E-sales guy Jimmy at our local dealer--$500 below MSRP. Turns out that our combo of options is kind of rare, supply is low, and demand is high, so finding the right car is challenging.

Jimmy dove into his computer and found the car we want with status "on water, destination NJ" to be available Sept 26. But when Sept 26 rolled around, the car had been sold to someone in NJ. We live in MD. Apparently Jimmy doesn't have the pull he thought he did.

So with that, and no other matches on Jimmy's computer, we ordered a car from the factory, which takes 2-3 months to deliver. We called Jimmy at the end of October only to find out our car, upon delivery, was promptly destroyed by Hurricane Sandy's floodwaters.

Today I called Sales Manager Paul who said they found another car in NJ that they can trade, but it would arrive with a few hundered miles on the ODO. My wife said no, she wants a new car, or at least compensation. Paul said no way (in about 10,000 words), so I asked him to place another order.

I also asked him to give me confirmation that indeed the car had been ordered, as a little insurance against having to wait any longer than necessary at this point. Apparently this is unconventional because Paul made me feel like I was taking his firstborn. In the end, I think he agreed, but it was hard to extract from the epic tidal wave of verbage he provided.

I wonder why we weren't contacted when they found out the first car had been sold to another party, again when the second car had been flooded, and again when they found a third car for us. They don't seem very eager to keep us in the loop, much less complete a sale.

Looks like it's going to be six months from our first deal to delivery IF they get this one right. Should I take my business elsewhere? Ever had a similar experience buying a new car?

sounds like a PITA dealer to me, who does not seem all that excited to make things right. Sure, not all of those circumstances are anyone's fault. Certainly not the one destroyed in Sandy. But being forthright with the customer is how Paul should be treating you.

My wife and I have been talking to a dealer regarding the Subaru XV Crosstrek since before that dealer got any stock. He e-mailed us pictures when he got a preview of the vehicle, and he told us when he got his first stock. My wife went to test drive it first on her own, and then later I went to take one for a test drive.

We aren't quite ready to buy just yet, but we will be looking to special order one when we are. And we're going to work with this specific sales guy because he's just been awesome to work with. He sent me a thank-you e-mail the other day for coming in to test drive the car.

I know he's working his angle for a sale, but he's doing it right. There are 2 other Subaru dealers in the city to choose from, and I sent them all e-mails inquiring about the car. One sent me a form letter response, another didn't bother contacting me at all, and this guy wrote me back personally answering all of my questions thoughtfully.

I have no doubts that he will keep me in the loop when it comes time to place the order. When it comes to future car purchases, I think I will be handling it the same way.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    The wife and I decided on a Mazda CX-5 to replace her POS 2000 Hyundai. We found a good deal through E-sales guy Jimmy at our local dealer--$500 below MSRP. Turns out that our combo of options is kind of rare, supply is low, and demand is high, so finding the right car is challenging.

Jimmy dove into his computer and found the car we want with status "on water, destination NJ" to be available Sept 26. But when Sept 26 rolled around, the car had been sold to someone in NJ. We live in MD. Apparently Jimmy doesn't have the pull he thought he did.

So with that, and no other matches on Jimmy's computer, we ordered a car from the factory, which takes 2-3 months to deliver. We called Jimmy at the end of October only to find out our car, upon delivery, was promptly destroyed by Hurricane Sandy's floodwaters.

Today I called Sales Manager Paul who said they found another car in NJ that they can trade, but it would arrive with a few hundered miles on the ODO. My wife said no, she wants a new car, or at least compensation. Paul said no way (in about 10,000 words), so I asked him to place another order.

I also asked him to give me confirmation that indeed the car had been ordered, as a little insurance against having to wait any longer than necessary at this point. Apparently this is unconventional because Paul made me feel like I was taking his firstborn. In the end, I think he agreed, but it was hard to extract from the epic tidal wave of verbage he provided.

I wonder why we weren't contacted when they found out the first car had been sold to another party, again when the second car had been flooded, and again when they found a third car for us. They don't seem very eager to keep us in the loop, much less complete a sale.

Looks like it's going to be six months from our first deal to delivery IF they get this one right. Should I take my business elsewhere? Ever had a similar experience buying a new car?
    oh yeah long past time to move on.

Single Speed Junkie
    Several similar experiences with auto dealers. Found most places to only be interested in how the deal will profit them, not help out the customer. Good news is there is always another dealer just down the street.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I would have moved along a long time ago too. That dealership sounds like a PITA to buy from and how will they be when it is time to get service??? Let alone warranty work??
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    New dealer time.

I went through similar with a local Mazda dealership down here in TX. Quoted me a price over email, I went in to pick up the car and... they didn't have one. They had 3 "coming next week" that were all the wrong colors and missing the tech package. I had to go to a less local dealership to get my car... sad part is, dealer #1 had the car at a location across town, they lost a guaranteed sale because they were too lazy to bring the car to me.

Definitely move on. Explain to the next dealer the bad experience and it should help them be more enthused to "steal" business.... that is exactly how I got my Speed3.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

The need for singlespeed
    Well that's it then. Thanks for the valuable input, guys.

I told Paul yesterday that I'd call him back Thursday to get official confirmation that the exact car had been ordered. Supposedly he'll have ordered it on Wednesday. If he can't prove it's been ordered I'm taking my deposit back and moving on to the next dealer.

I'll post updates as they occur...

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    sounds like a PITA dealer to me,
    Or a PITA customer.

If a few hundred miles makes a car no longer new then why bother wasting your time at all. With that logic, it isn't going to be new anymore after the first week you own it anyways.

Sounds to me like the dealership has bent over backwards to make a deal with a neurotic customer.

It isn't there fault the first car they tried to trade for the dealer backed out.
    The other dealer probably had a person on their lot that wanted to buy it.

It isn't their fault that the car you ordered was damaged by a storm.

Then they found a suitable car with a few hundred miles. Big deal, even if they bothered working out a mileage deduction it would only be a few dollars.
    The cost of getting that car there since the dealership that asks for the trade has to pay for it costs way more. They could have charged you the several hundred that costs. (About $500 average)

As far as why they didn't call you, they may not have known until the expected deliver dates and you called them first.

Sounds like your sales person has busted his ass for what will end up being about a $200 commission when it is over with.

(BTW, yes I have sold cars in the past so I have a little insight to what your sales person has and is going through and how much he is making on the deal).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Or a PITA customer.

If a few hundred miles makes a car no longer new then why bother wasting your time at all. With that logic, it isn't going to be new anymore after the first week you own it anyways.

Sounds to me like the dealership has bent over backwards to make a deal with a neurotic customer.

It isn't there fault the first car they tried to trade for the dealer backed out.
    The other dealer probably had a person on their lot that wanted to buy it.

It isn't their fault that the car you ordered was damaged by a storm.

Then they found a suitable car with a few hundred miles. Big deal, even if they bothered working out a mileage deduction it would only be a few dollars.
    The cost of getting that car there since the dealership that asks for the trade has to pay for it costs way more. They could have charged you the several hundred that costs. (About $500 average)

As far as why they didn't call you, they may not have known until the expected deliver dates and you called them first.

Sounds like your sales person has busted his ass for what will end up being about a $200 commission when it is over with.

(BTW, yes I have sold cars in the past so I have a little insight to what your sales person has and is going through and how much he is making on the deal).
    That's business. If you think it's ok to blame the customer because YOU can't deliver, it is YOUR fault. It doesn't matter why you can't deliver, only that you can or cant. If you can not, you find a way to make it right or back out and don't get mad when the customer takes his money elsewhere.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That's business. If you think it's ok to blame the customer because YOU can't deliver, it is YOUR fault. It doesn't matter why you can't deliver, only that you can or cant. If you can not, you find a way to make it right or back out and don't get mad when the customer takes his money elsewhere.
    They did find a way to make it right, in fact they found a couple ways.

So what, he goes to take his business elsewhere and tries to find that perfect car.
    It exists at that one dealership a few hundred miles away.
    He can spend the money and time to go out there himself and buy it and drive it back but it will have a few hundred miles on it when it home anyways and no according to his wife will no longer be new, (FYI, That is why it will have a few hundred miles because the dealership has to drive it there).
    Or he could order the car from another dealership and still wait.

Sorry Hurricane Sandy destroyed the car you ordered along with the many homes and lives it took. Life must really suck now that you have to order it again wait a little bit longer to get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is a combination of the dealer not being super forthcoming and making promises they couldn't keep, and then the customer being impatient and hard to work with.

The dealer effed up by promising a pipeline car that they obviously didn't secure, and then the factory order drowned, which was nobody's fault. But then the dealer can locate a car that'll have 100-200 miles on it and the customer turns it down, and it's the car they want? And to clarify, this is on one of the harder to get CUV's at the moment? Pffffft.

At that point, you deserve to suck it up and wait. I am an "E-sales guy" for another popular brand, and our cars are so in demand versus supply that I think every other car I sell comes from another dealer. We have a team of retired old dudes who just drive cars back and forth all day, and it's a very normal procedure. And there is nothing wrong with the cars. They are checked out thoroughly before pickup, and again when they arrive.

Sometimes, cars get sold with like 350 miles on them, from being traded not once, but twice.

Anyways, you sound like a prime candidate for a factory order. So just suck it up and order it again and wait.

Alternately: Your wife wants compensation? If your salesperson was in a position where they could be a smartass instead of having to suck up to you, I would offer similar compensation as to what Mazda might charge per mile when a customer goes over mileage on their lease.

So, let's use fifteen cents per mile. Most lenders are fiften-twenty cents a mile. Fifteen cents a mile times, oh, 200 miles? Congrats, here's $30 off your selling price. You'll save another $1.80 on sales tax too, whohoo!

FKA Malibu412
    Ever had a similar experience buying a new car?
    No.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

The need for singlespeed
    Lol, digging the car salesman responses!

Rogue Exterminator
    Lol, digging the car salesman responses!
    ex car salesman here.

I have nothing to gain, I just realistically know what kind of profit is in the car, how the salesman gets paid, what he will earn after the $500 discount and absorbing delivery fees in a trade and also what kind of effort he has gone through to try and make you happy. He doesn't get paid a dime until you take deliver and his pay check is most likely 100% commission based which means he is more frustrated then you.

If you are going to be overly picky at least have a little patience and compassion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I should point out that my post was part me taking out my work frustrations on the OP, so I apologize if I came across rather brash. I'm actually a super laid back and patient salesperson (although from my prior post, y'all are probably like 'yeah ok whatever').

It's just that, I mean really, if it's a hard to get car, and they miraculously located him one with the right color and trim level and packages, he's lucky to have that chance and he shoulda taken it.

I just don't get why people get weirded out over dealer trades. It's not like they hire 16 year olds who are doing neutral drops and driving at 130 mph on the highway. Every dealer I know of just uses old retired dudes who are bored/don't want to be home with their wives all day. They piddle along at the speed limit cuz it means they can stay out of their house longer than if they speed. And maybe 1 in 100 cars has a tiny chip or something from a highway incident. Probably 1 in 200. And what do we do? We fix it, lifetime guarantee on the work.

I also say this because I will have people in a similar situation, and I'm telling them that if they deliberate too long, they'll turn around and the car will be sold, and they never believe me- and then when it happens, they are all sad and bummed and frustrated. Don't be that person!
    Last edited by XJaredX; 11-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Rogue Exterminator
    +1 on old retired dudes.

Sold Nissans in Savannah a long time ago and it was always old retired dudes.

Also +1 on people seeing hard to find cars sold under somebody who wanted to deliberate for ever. Even seen it happen while they were still on the lot.

The need for singlespeed
    Finally!

FKA Malibu412
    This train wreck is back. So glad you got your CX. Is it everything you hoped for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

contact the internet departments of at least 5 dealers. Give them the specs you want. They will find the car and you will get the best possible price.

FKA Malibu412
    Goodmojo: he already has the car of his dreams

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    This train wreck is back. So glad you got your CX. Is it everything you hoped for?
    Thanks! So far it's living up to every expectation.

We stuck with the same dealership. E-sales guy Jimmy ordered a 2014 model with the bigger engine and we were waiting for it (while keeping tabs on other dealers' inventories) when he located a 2013 model with a few extra accessories on it. He threw them in for free so we went for it.

I do appreciate the constructive input provided in this thread. It lead us to consider some other options but in the end it worked out well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I just don't get why people get weirded out over dealer trades. It's not like they hire 16 year olds who are doing neutral drops and driving at 130 mph on the highway. Every dealer I know of just uses old retired dudes who are bored/don't want to be home with their wives all day. They piddle along at the speed limit cuz it means they can stay out of their house longer than if they speed. And maybe 1 in 100 cars has a tiny chip or something from a highway incident. Probably 1 in 200. And what do we do? We fix it, lifetime guarantee on the work.
    My dad is one of those 'old retired guys'. He moves cars around for a variety of dealers all over the south east. He fits your description well - doing it because he's bored, and because enjoys cars. He's more anal than most of the salesmen - taking the time to point out defects and missing items that no one else seems to care about (seems most dealers like to 'forget' about things like floormats). And you're right on the costs - I've seen him be paid more than $1500 to drive a used car from the east coast to Texas (mileage, fuel, hotel, plane fare back, etc). There must be a lot more margin in car sales than I thought if they're able to profit when paying those fees.