mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Getting to the trail head cheap. Push trailer alternative

For my local rides I'd like to reduce fuel costs. Push trailers are considered to be mopeds, so there's no overhead, license. Gas versions are getting 100+ mpg. I like the compact scooter drive train in the 2nd vid, some solutions are larger with a heavy 4 cycle.
    I'd prefer to haul a 2nd wheelset(trail).
    I'm a bit cheap. Kinda cool, kinda funny. Definetely a money saver. Just don't trash the bike on the trail. D'oh!

'10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    That's pretty cool! I've never even heard of those before. Looks like fun, but what do you do with it when you get to the trail? Lock it to a tree? Prob a good idea to yank the plug wire if you get the gas version and bring it with you just in case.

The electric one remind's me of Andy's Copenhaggan Wheel from "Weeds" lol.

What's the cost/fuel saving benefit on one of those? I don't know about you, but most of the trails I ride are about 45 minutes away and require some highway driving, which I'm sure that's not legal for. But even w/out the highway driving, will you be able to save enough in fuel to recoup the cost of that thing anytime soon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It can go where ever you've seen cyclists go. No expressway or freeway I guess. I don't see it as an answer for every ride.
    Personally, I'd want to hit 45 mph and limit travel time to about 30 minutes.

A manufactured gas powered unit can cost $600 and average 100+ mpg. A fairly active rider on a local bases(25 mile round trip x 3 rides per week) won't use a gallon in a week. Then consider all the costs involved in a car in addition to gas.
    The item can be diy'd for well under the $600, but at $600, recoup within 6 months is do-able. I'd nearly cover a $4000 bike cost every 3 years.
    Wow, I didn't see that...sweet. This will go over well with teh little lady.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion