Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerNik View Post
    You can check out a few options of what I have used in small apartments and in a garage - a do it yourself option: How To Building a Bike Storage Rack | Bikes, Biking Resources, Biking Fun

and a commercial low cost option:More Options for Storing Your Bicycles This Time Using a Commercial Option | Bikes, Biking Resources, Biking Fun
    Cool! Thanks! I'm all about low rent DIY solutions to stuff.

I actually bought one of the Performance Bike floor to ceiling pole racks for the temporary apartment. I needed to be able to bring one bike home from work (where I was keeping them in between houses), and the wife didn't like me just rolling a bike into the living room for the weekend.

I picture I'll keep the bikes I use most (the Singular Swift singlespeed and the RacerX29er geared FS 29er) on the rack for easiest access... grab and roll out the door, and string the other bikes up out of the way with the bike hoists.

Still... I think the space is going to be tight. I'm not even sure I can get the bikes up high enough and have room to park a car underneath them.

Well, this weekend I removed the carpet from the downstairs before the flooring guys come in and lay the wood floors down. That's a lot of carpet.

And the trailer came out great. I trucked home my tool boxes from work, and now I'm on the hunt for a decent used electric dryer. I ended up getting the 40x48" Harbor Freight trailer with the 12" wheels. It was pretty time consuming to assemble the thing, cut a 3/4" plywood for the deck, make stake sides (glued and screwed), but it was worth it. It's easy to tow, move around, but naturally, it's hard to reverse, being so short and narrow... I actually can't see it in the mirrors until it'f flipped pretty far around. Also, the hardware that comes with it is pretty cheesy, specifically the hardware around the wiring harness. Wire nuts? Really? ... and no dedicated ground wire. It relies on the bolts cutting through the powder coating on the frame enough to make electrical contact for the common ground on the lights. If I was less pressed for time, I would have run my own separate ground wire to everything, but that's me. In a stroke of massive luck, it turns out my Audi Avant wagon (13 years old, 170k miles, reliable, and still a blast to drive) was already wired with a controller for the trailer lights. And, it all works!

I really should build up the rear stake gate piece, tho. The tool boxes shifted around in the trailer enough to make me nervous. One of the ratchet straps came loose, and I had to pull over to reposition it, and snug them all down again. I really don't want to roll down the freeway wondering if something is going to fly off of it and cause an accident. If I had the rear gate on there, it wouldn't be a big problem if a strap came loose... other than losing he strap on the road somewhere.

Another major suck about this new house is that all of our contractors are jacking up their prices on us. It now seems as if I have a lot less budget than before to blow on the garage. That said, the wife and I are super stoked about the new house!
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-03-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Gumnut Peddler
    Your trailer needs a flag or your car needs a reverse camera.
    Burning fat, not oil.

ballbuster

Amazing what you can find on craigslist...

... for a couple of c-notes and some low-speed driving.

I was partway through unstrapping it when I thought I should take some pix. The red isn't going to match anything, unfortunately.

... and the first day of work, the flooring guys got three of the bedrooms laid down. This was cheapo carpet on Saturday, and bare plywood subfloor on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    IMHO the self supporting double height bike racks are hard to beat (I easily fit 2 bikes on top and 2 on bottom, plus an additional bike in the back). For $35 on sale a Nashbar I can't imagine something being easier to use.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Garage: Options for hanging/storing bikes?

Post 34 is my fave..some ideas in that thread too...all along the same lines...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    so is vertical OK?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by chidoc View Post
    so is vertical OK?
    I dunno. I don't know how much vertical I really have to work with. The storage unit shows up this weekend, and we're going to have to unload all of our stuff into the garage and park on the street. Moving day (out of the temp apartment into the house) is in two weeks.

At this point, it's looking like plan of bikes sideways on a track over the cars is looking like the best bet. I'll probably put the extra rims and tires up there too. I'm just concerned that the garage isn't that wide. Wide enough for two cars, but not much room for stuff on the sides if we want to open the doors. Plus, there's a tight turn to get in our out of the garage. Backing the cars in has been the best bet so far.

We had some painters in to put mud on the walls to smooth them out. They were using the kitchen sink as a wash-out for their stuff, so that had to stop. I realized I was going to put in a utility sink in the garage and never got to it, so I knocked that out this weekend. Man, what a PITA plumbing is. I broke my knuckles open several times. I'm going to wait a few days to be sure nothing is leaking, but I still need to secure the sink to the floor and wall, and patch the wall. Also, since that outlet is now near a sink, I have to make it a GFI.

and yes, whoever put in my water heater should be shot. It is sitting on cinder blocks with no drain pan. Ugh. Gotta fix that too.

I'm stoked about the view, too. Sunset over the SF Bay through the trees from 1375 feet above sea level.

Last edited by pimpbot; 02-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I was thinking about doing a similar setup. What racks are these and any issues with the MTBs pushing off on the wall with the end of the handlebars?

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    I was thinking about doing a similar setup. What racks are these and any issues with the MTBs pushing off on the wall with the end of the handlebars?
    I had one of these: The Art of Storage Leaning 2 Bike Rack : Target Mobile

I cut the tubing into 4 1ft long pieces, drilled whole in each end of the pieces and screwed them into the studs withe the holders in the middle. Used it for over a year now and it works awesome. The 5th bike is using a regular hook you can buy from home depot that I bent to make longer. It works good too but is a little flimsy compared to the others. No problems with it though.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I had one of these: The Art of Storage Leaning 2 Bike Rack : Target Mobile

I cut the tubing into 4 1ft long pieces, drilled whole in each end of the pieces and screwed them into the studs withe the holders in the middle. Used it for over a year now and it works awesome. The 5th bike is using a regular hook you can buy from home depot that I bent to make longer. It works good too but is a little flimsy compared to the others. No problems with it though.
    Good find.

Yeah, garage project is a disaster. We just have too many other important house projects going on. Garage seems to be a low priority. I did put some half-height strut on the walls and some shelves over the sink/washer/dryer areas, and a charging station for my lights, camera and GPSs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it with hydraulic brakes. You will end up with air at the front caliper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Everbilt 50 lb. Flip-Up Storage Hanger-01195 at The Home Depot

This is cheap and solid, They flip up out of the way when not needed. I currently use them for my bike and if you mount it low enough, they can make a decent work stand.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Not very compact, but solved the problem of the MTBs falling over. I also made it with scrap wood so $0! The bike hanging is on one of those $10 bike lifts...pain to install, but works well and gets it out of the way.

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    Everbilt 50 lb. Flip-Up Storage Hanger-01195 at The Home Depot

This is cheap and solid, They flip up out of the way when not needed. I currently use them for my bike and if you mount it low enough, they can make a decent work stand.
    I agree. We used this one: Racor Folding Bike Rack for 1 Bike at some point when only I had a bike (now there are 3 in the house and the little one has his trike) and it worked really well. The shelf was handy too. This one is for one bike though, not sure if you can get them for more than two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Do you have any type of plans that you used for the shelf system you built? It is exactly what I need but I am not much of a handy man so I need some plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Here is what I did. This is my second total garage build out, I learned a lot from our *tight* 2 car garage in the first house.

Get as much as you can off the floor. I epoxied the floor, spray textured the walls thick splatter/orange peel ($30 texture gun found on Craigslist) and put 2 thick coats of stain blocker Kilz on the walls and ceiling. I can spray the garage out with water which is nice, you can eat off the floor when it is clean. Epoxy is the way to go for sure if you want to take it to that next level - it really finishes it off. I built a shelf 2 feet from the ceiling 1/2 way around one side. My wife and 2 young kids have problems getting bikes from the hooks, so I have them in Feedback Sports RAKK stands bolted to a piece of plywood. I could probably get 8-10 bikes hanging if I staggered them a bit. I drive an old car, so it lives outside 90% of the time but I can readjust if needed and pull the car in before bad weather.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: Garage bike storage... I need ideas

Here's what I did. $10 cost
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garage bike storage... I need ideas-uploadfromtaptalk1374868849331.jpg  

Birdman aka JMJ
    This works for me. Nose of the car(s) just under the handlebars/saddles.

bikerack.jpeg
    JMJ

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    This works for me. Nose of the car(s) just under the handlebars/saddles.

bikerack.jpeg
    JMJ
    Yeah, I saw vertical racks like that at Gestalt Haus in Fairfax, CA.... a cyclist friendly pub. The owner puts on cycling events. I always liked that idea.

I may have to see if I have the wall real estate for that. I just think my ceiling isn't high enough to hang them from the top over the cars, or even high enough to walk under when the cars are out. It doesn't help that we are now up to 9 bikes in the house.

Heh... we're still digging out the boxes, but work craziness and kid craziness is taking priority. We got some of the house interior projects done, and it's starting to look like we live in a house, not a construction zone. The latest project:

Garage bike storage... I need ideas-999490_10151553589608925_723467736_n.jpg

The blue front is actually just protective plastic film. It's actually piano gloss white with no handles.

I replaced an ugly steel railing with this cabinet wall. I basically took Ikea kitchen cabinets, and I'm covering them with finish grade plywood to make a place to hide our shoes, cell phones, laptops, keys, etc. I actually have the wood cladding cut and biscuit joined, but I need to take it to a cabinet shop to get edge banding and final finishing.

We also got the walls smoothed out (removed the texture) in the rest of the upstairs living room/kitchen/dining room, as well as two more bedrooms and the downstairs hallway. One more room and the bathrooms are gonna get done some other time, when we fix the retaining wall moisture issue. I love the smooth walls!

Thanks again for the great ideas, folks! I really appreciate it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4