Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    jrm
    mtbr member

I like that set up

Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    I use the Rubbermaid wall storage system (you can find at Lowes). It holds all of our bikes except for the tandem and fattie.

Oh and Mid-Ohio brings back some fond memories...
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

jrm
    mtbr member

So are you on a

shared driveway? Your garage looks pretty deep. maybe a bench under the window and storage on either side? I like the open beams. Im seriously thinking that rubbermaid system could prove valuable in my tiny garage and 4 bikes.

ballbuster

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    shared driveway? Your garage looks pretty deep. maybe a bench under the window and storage on either side? I like the open beams. Im seriously thinking that rubbermaid system could prove valuable in my tiny garage and 4 bikes.
    I'm seriously thinking a monster work bench the length of the remaining space from the Washer/Dryer all the way to the wall on the right. Also, hanging all of the bikes, roof rack stuff, roof box, and gear from the ceiling or on shelves against the right wall. I'm not sure how much room is left over after the cars are in there.

I'm just hoping there is enough room from the end of the car to the wall for space for my Park bike work stand and room to work comfortably without banging into the front of the car. I have the kind of stand with the big steel base, not the cooler folding style. Hang a good shop light over the bench.

We have a nice big work bench at work where there is a shelf underneath for the power tools in cases, and a big power strip. I could do something like that.

Anyway, I spent some time browsing craigslist today. There are a few out there that look decent. Now, I just need to borrow or rent a pickup truck to move stuff like this it to the house.

jrm
    mtbr member

Sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I'm seriously thinking a monster work bench the length of the remaining space from the Washer/Dryer all the way to the wall on the right. Also, hanging all of the bikes, roof rack stuff, roof box, and gear from the ceiling or on shelves against the right wall. I'm not sure how much room is left over after the cars are in there.

I'm just hoping there is enough room from the end of the car to the wall for space for my Park bike work stand and room to work comfortably without banging into the front of the car. I have the kind of stand with the big steel base, not the cooler folding style. Hang a good shop light over the bench.

We have a nice big work bench at work where there is a shelf underneath for the power tools in cases, and a big power strip. I could do something like that.

Anyway, I spent some time browsing craigslist today. There are a few out there that look decent. Now, I just need to borrow or rent a pickup truck to move stuff like this it to the house.
    looks like youd have more room if the cars were positions closest to the door as well. Its going to be nice to have all that stuff in one place. Maybe you could hang some speakers as well for tuneage.

What?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Lined up like pretty chorus girls!

What?
    Lined up like pretty chorus girls!
    It took me a while to figure it out, but its the only way I could fit my truck in the garage next to to them. Only room for one more bike before I need to rethink it again though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Look really neat, but I bet your front brakes get bubbles at the calipers...
    Last edited by patineto; 12-21-2012 at 09:13 PM.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Look really neat, but I be your front brakes get bubbles at the calipers...
    That only happens if your brakes are not bled properly. I have stored my bikes upside down for years and never had a single issue.(its actually good for your fork) The shop I worked at stores there bikes that way as well. Its a non issue unless you have a hidden problem.

ballbuster

I was gonna say....

That only happens if your brakes are not bled properly. I have stored my bikes upside down for years and never had a single issue.(its actually good for your fork) The shop I worked at stores there bikes that way as well. Its a non issue unless you have a hidden problem.
    ... there shouldn't be any air in the reservoir, or anywhere else in the system, so that should be a non-issue, unless you didn't bleed, fill, or close it up again correctly.

What?
    ... there shouldn't be any air in the reservoir, or anywhere else in the system, so that should be a non-issue, unless you didn't bleed, fill, or close it up again correctly.
    exactly

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Eichler lover here too! Selling mine right now in Santa Clara but am now living at the base of the trails near Fort Ord out in the mountains!!

Did you check out the Castro Valley or San Jose near SJCC tracts? Somewhat cheaper in price.

And thanks for garage thread. I am also in the process of organizing all our bikes, but we now have a huge 3 car garage so we have a bit more space than you guys.

ballbuster

Uh....

Quote Originally Posted by jeepergirl17 View Post
    Eichler lover here too! Selling mine right now in Santa Clara but am now living at the base of the trails near Fort Ord out in the mountains!!

Did you check out the Castro Valley or San Jose near SJCC tracts? Somewhat cheaper in price.

And thanks for garage thread. I am also in the process of organizing all our bikes, but we now have a huge 3 car garage so we have a bit more space than you guys.
    Fort Ord is near mountains?

We want to stick in Oakland. We thought about moving to Walnut Creek (Eichlers there, too!) but we like this town, and all of our friends are here... plus, Walnut Creek gets hotter than stink in the summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    mountains, kind of. Toro Park/Fort Ord/Carmel Valley area.

Yea, Oakland is cool. I understand why you are there! Nice part of the Bay Area and close to everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    here is a picture of my Garage

fist try. Didn't work couldn't get my tahoe in the garage in front of the cabinets

current version. Move the cabinets over to the left. The left side is the Bike side and the right side is the car side.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    here is a picture of my Garage

fist try. Didn't work couldn't get my tahoe in the garage in front of the cabinets

*pics*

current version. Move the cabinets over to the left. The left side is the Bike side and the right side is the car side.

*pics*
    Nice! I picked up some tool cabinets on an end of year blowout sale at Home Depot. I'm going to get a low rent trailer from Harbor Freight as well. I don't want to buy a pickup truck, but I'm going to need one for the next few months, and a trailer is the next best thing for hauling appliances and lumber up the hill.

mtbr member
    Here are where half of our bikes live. Still working on the other half. Garage bike storage... I need ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356807855.778286.jpg

mtbr member
    The others are floating still. Just moved into town and gave up a shed bigger than some of the houses I've lived in. Still working on making it all fit and having room for wife parking and room to work.
    -G
    Garage bike storage... I need ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356808202.774379.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    http://[/IMG]

ballbuster

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by gtiboy87 View Post
    *pic with Sublie*
    Whatcha got there? New set of winter wheels? I loves me some AWD.

So, update! Seller offered to knock some dough off the house to fix the drainage issue.... but not enough. So, we countered a few $k less and they took it! We're in!!

WOO HOOOOO!!

So, we need to get the contractor out there to fix a couple things, install some hardwood or fakewood floors, fix a minor issue with the deck, and we can start moving in.... probably end of January.

Home Depot had some end of year blowout pricing on a set of tool cabinets, so I got that. I'm waiting for Harbor Freight to get back in stock a 4' trailer for hauling stuff... namely an electric dryer and a workbench from craigslist, as well as some other stuff that won't fit in the car.

So we found out we have a nice tax refund coming, so we might blow that on a solar panel installation/lease. The house is all electric everything with no gas service and poor insulation, so we're expecting a fairly fat electric bill in winter. At least with the solar system, we can offset some of that bill. We would do some insulation as well.

Man, I really wish I had immediate access to the house to start planning some stuff.

Heh... my wife is busy photoshopping our own furniture and decor in the pics of the house. She's such a graphic design dork.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 01-04-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Special Ed
    Just picked up two bike hoists for $7.99/ea a couple of weeks ago. Much improved over the J-hook since it allows the missus an easy way to get hers down.

Bicycle Lift
    'Things you own...begin owning you.'

ballbuster

Oooooh!

Quote Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
    Just picked up two bike hoists for $7.99/ea a couple of weeks ago. Much improved over the J-hook since it allows the missus an easy way to get hers down.

Bicycle Lift
    That's on point!

I was gonna just buy parts and rope.... Make one myself. All of those ones I've seen have been like $25 each, and I figured I could make it myself for better and cheaper. It's looks better and cheaper than I could do myself.

I was going to buy my trailer today at harbor freight. I'll pick up a few of those kits while I'm there.

Thanks for the tip!

Special Ed
    That's on point!

I was gonna just buy parts and rope.... Make one myself. All of those ones I've seen have been like $25 each, and I figured I could make it myself for better and cheaper. It's looks better and cheaper than I could do myself.

I was going to buy my trailer today at harbor freight. I'll pick up a few of those kits while I'm there.

Thanks for the tip!
    Are you getting one of the trailers for your bikes? If you are, let me know which one and how it turns out.

They are definitely stout enough. After I installed it I was afraid my wife wouldn't be strong enough and the string/rope would slip from her hands so I tested it first. I let go of the rope while I was pulling it up to let it drop only it didn't. It caught and bounced a little. It would have ripped the screws out of the joists before the pulleys broke. The rope catch works really well and holds the bike up in place. The tie on the side is only to hold the rope out of your way. Kindof works like window blinds. Not sure how you would build one with this mechanism yourself.
    'Things you own...begin owning you.'

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
    Are you getting one of the trailers for your bikes? If you are, let me know which one and how it turns out.

They are definitely stout enough. After I installed it I was afraid my wife wouldn't be strong enough and the string/rope would slip from her hands so I tested it first. I let go of the rope while I was pulling it up to let it drop only it didn't. It caught and bounced a little. It would have ripped the screws out of the joists before the pulleys broke. The rope catch works really well and holds the bike up in place. The tie on the side is only to hold the rope out of your way. Kindof works like window blinds. Not sure how you would build one with this mechanism yourself.
    No, pretty much so I can haul some stuff without renting or buying a pickup truck. I can already haul 4 bikes on my A4 wagon, and honestly I've only once had to haul three bikes.... Once.

I was going yo buy a used clothes dryer, haul my tool boxes, teevee, bigger, workbench, furniture, maybe some potted japanese maple trees, etc. I'll probably use it for a few months and Craigslist it.

The reviews I've seen on it basically say that it works fine as an occasional use kinda thing, but the hubs need frequent grease repacking to keep from burning up, if you're gonna put thousands of miles on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's on point!

Thanks for the tip!
    I bought one of these years ago and used it for the kid trailer and it worked perfectly for 5 years. Well worth the money.
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast