mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Ford Focus Roof Rack

I need to get a roof rack for my Ford Focus. It's the 2 door hatchback model. I don't know jack about roof racks. It has to be a roof rack because it will serve as a surfboard rack as well. The "factory" racks (Kona edition) are no longer being sold by Ford. A good/inexpensive solution would be best but I realize those 2 never go together most of the time. Any tips/info on where to get them? I see there are a bunch of parts sold in ebay/craigslist but I have no clue as to which ones I would need.

mtbr member
    Because your Ford Focus has a short roof line, you're going to need to use a Short Roof Line Adapter Kit in combination with the roof rack system. Both Yakima Racks and Thule Racks make excellent systems for the Ford Focus. Go with either the Thule 400XT Aero roof rack system or the Yakima Q Tower roof rack system and use the Thule 477 Short Roof Adapter kit with the 400XT Aero system and the Yakima Q Stretch Kit with the Q Tower system. The stretch kits enable the base rack system crossbars to be distanced further apart from each other to provide a stable and reliable base rack to connect the gear carriers and carry them safely. You can connect any Yakima and Thule roof mount bike racks to the base rack system crossbars. Also there are other cheaper options that work very well such as RockyMounts bike racks. For a surfboard rack your best bet is the Thule 554XT Hang-Two surfboard rack for the Thule 400XT Aero base rack system and the Yakima StrapThang surfboard rack for the Q Tower base rack system.
    oh boy, lucky me...i install yakima racks & thule racks | school of rack

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the tip and links. This is good info for me. I will look into this much further.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whayong
    I need to get a roof rack for my Ford Focus. It's the 2 door hatchback model. I don't know jack about roof racks. It has to be a roof rack because it will serve as a surfboard rack as well. The "factory" racks (Kona edition) are no longer being sold by Ford. A good/inexpensive solution would be best but I realize those 2 never go together most of the time. Any tips/info on where to get them? I see there are a bunch of parts sold in ebay/craigslist but I have no clue as to which ones I would need.
    Check out www.batinc.net . They still list the European rack for about $220. It is the exact same as the Kona rack only in a natural aluminum finish (the Kona rack is black).

I bought that rack system about 5-6 years ago when I had a Focus. I sold it and it is still being used on another Focus. Worked great and is relatively cheap.
    Signature

i like rocks
    i drilled the roof and bolted down a set of yakima rails. looks pretty factory, has worked very very well. don't regret drilling the car even one iota.

http://www.rei.com/product/620190
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

thecentralscrutinizer
    Wow, Ford didn't make a provision for mounting a roofrack????
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Wow, Ford didn't make a provision for mounting a roofrack????
    yes, but it did not suite my requirements. if your willing to mount the rails you get a nice looking bombproof setup. otherwise, meh, i was not impressed with the alternative.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I actually just put an all Thule roof rack on my Ford Focus hatchback. I got the Thule Sidearm 594 bike rack, which is great. It wasn't cheap, but it works and seems sturdy and reliable. Didn't consider drilling into the car....

I also have an extra short roof adapter that's in good condition. If you're interested in buying it, PM me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When I got my ford I ordered the rack from www.batinc.com. I found that it was cheaper than buying all the components to get a Thule to fit. I've been very happy with it. I can carry two of my bikes, and cargo in the middle.

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yup, I went the Batinc route. I've had it on the car for 2 weeks now but still no bike tray/carrier. I picked up a used Yakima Boa but unfortunately doesn't fit the base system. I will have to look into a rocky mounts or a something else used. I did get the surf pads at my local REI and just using ratcheting tie downs from the local Lowes to keep the surfboards snug.