Thread: FJ cruiser?

mtbr member

FJ cruiser?

Hey guys Im looking at a used FJ and I want to know what you thing that have them think of them. Can you fit a bike in it with the seats down?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I have a 2007 and its been a great truck, I'd recommend it. For the money, its a capable SUV for snow and dirt without too many bells and whistles and a no-frills interior. If you are customizing, can be built into an extremely agile offroad rig due to its short, wide wheelbase, high ground clearance and very good approach/departure angles. The only thing better would be Jeeps and older FJs, Broncos, etc. with their full axle front/rear.

Fitting a bike: Depending on the bike, you will usually have to remove both wheels

Other aspects:

Buy 2008 or later: There was a problem with tearing aprons in the engine bay, details here. I never had that problem on my 2007 but I never wheeled it hard either. They reinforced that area with another layer starting mid-2007, I can show you how to check if you really want to be sure.

It can be loud, I soundproofed my interior with dynamat and sound barrier, that was a fun job.

Toyota is not as reliable as it used to be, my water pump went out around 70K mi.

Besides that, no problems with it. Just regular maintenance. Great truck!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up on the fender cracking problem. After looking at some of the pics on the FJ forums I think I am taking the FJ off my list. Part of the reason I wanted to get an FJ was to build it to wheel with. If I really want to do that with my next truck its looking more and more like its going to have to be a Jeep.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Too Bad you're taking it off the list, I love mine and wouldn't go back to a jeep for anything.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Yeah so after 2008 there's been no reported problems with the inner fender rips that I have seen. If you're purely going for offroad performance go with a jeep (solid front axle). But for daily driving FJ cruiser is a lot better, quieter (even before soundproofing, just compare the doors), smoother driving truck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've had an FJ for 8 years and ~90,000 km. The Good: Fairly simple, reliable, tons of aftermarket support, and good offroad. Bad: High NVH levels, uncomfortable seats, low on power, chassis rusts like crazy and poor mileage. Have had a few minor issues that were taken care of under warranty but it has been quite good overall.

I have been able to stand bikes up in the back with the front wheels off but that will depend on the frame and size. Truck is mostly used as a trail runner now, it has been to Moab several times, Colorado twice and on many trails in Alberta. It performs very well on the trails and has always gotten me home.

FJ cruiser?-966387_10100177327592085_1656934631_o.jpg
    FJ cruiser?-964576_10100177328709845_17584598_o.jpg
    FJ cruiser?-462427_10100177320471355_455560838_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Used to have a Wrangler, wouldn't go back there's so much more room inside. FJ actually much better on fuel on the highway(22+) but around town about a draw. After 2010 also rated for lower octane fuel. Roof racks are much noisier in my experience than models without. I can get 2-29er SSs in at once (small frame) and even 2 RIP9s but requires dropper post and one must have handlebars at 90 degrees to other, basically facing the back quarter window. Pic with single RIP9/140mm fork inside;

FJ cruiser?-img_2134_zpse5729f7e.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Yeah so after 2008 there's been no reported problems with the inner fender rips that I have seen. If you're purely going for offroad performance go with a jeep (solid front axle). But for daily driving FJ cruiser is a lot better, quieter (even before soundproofing, just compare the doors), smoother driving truck.
    Some of the posts in the FJ forums talk about 2010 and newer trucks with cracking and bulging fenders. I can't afford a used FJ newer then 08 anyway. Someone posted that they know of the same cracks in an 08 tacoma. That really makes me sad I use to have a 96 tacoma and I loved it off road and it was a really nice dally driver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I wouldn't worry about the cracked aprons unless you want a garage queen (unlikely to find an '07 FJ that meets that criteria). AFAIK the cracks are not structural and do not correspond to the strength of the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiFJ View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the cracked aprons unless you want a garage queen (unlikely to find an '07 FJ that meets that criteria). AFAIK the cracks are not structural and do not correspond to the strength of the frame.
    No they may not but when the outside of the fenders start to crack and the doors hit the fenders its a problem. Clearly the FJ has some kind of structural problem with the front end. And from what I can see Toyota has no plan to address it. I want a reliable dally driver but I also want a vary capable off roader I can lift and bolt bumpers to with out have to strengthen the front clip to handle it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    AFAIK there are very few instances of doors meeting fenders, it isn't structural and there is no need to strengthen the front. I'm not aware of any correlation between offroading or modding and the fender issue. Trucks that have been abused have fender bulges but so do trucks that have never been off pavement. I wouldn't say I have abused mine but it has been jumped, flexed out and driven hard and I haven't had any issues. YMMV.

Having said all that, I would skip the FJ and buy a 2nd gen 4Runner. Similar vehicles in terms of chassis and suspension, V8 is available and you get 90%+ of the capability with the added utility of four real doors. Also going to be much easier to live with on a daily basis.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2007 FJ new and drove it for 4 years. Other than all the money I spent modifying it, I didn't spend a dime on anything other than scheduled maintenance.

Some - very few - FJs had the issue with cracks in the inner fenders. Mine didn't and it was 'wheeled pretty hard.

The Wrangler is better on the the trail. That's it. The Wranglers are loud and slow. If you limited the FJ to even gears, it'd still smoke the Jeep. The only real downside I found with the FJ was rear visibility. Yep, MPG kinda sucked - but show me an SUV on 33s that doesn't. And, when you can see the TOPS of the front tires from the front of the truck... yeah, the MPGs are gonna suffer a bit

Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I read that the FJ is being discontinued in 15' and focus will be on the 5th gen 4runner. That said i'd spend less and have more for mods if your going the trail route. I 2nd the 3rd or 4th gen 4runner rec. Im on my 2nd 3rd gen lightly modded for camping/shuttle.