mtbr member
    Sep 2008

First-time buyer...Raxter?

Just purchased a new bike and decided that it is finally time to buy a proper bike rack.

I am looking for a hitch-mounted, 1.25" compatible "platform-style" rack. I would prefer to stay away from the type of racks that hold the bicycle by its top tube. The rack will be going on my 2011 Prius, fwiw.

Since I am just getting back into cycling, I am not sure what my needs are just yet. So, I would like to be prepared in terms of bike capacity, but I would not like to overboard either.

So far, I am seriously considering a Raxter Thorax 1.25" rack since it can hold 3 bikes. I can also get a fairly good price for it, which helps tremendously:

Raxter Racks - Rack Your Bike

I am not sure if I really need 3 trays, but they sure seem nice to have. Another option I am considering is getting a single 1up USA quik-rack for now, then adding additional trays later. Unfortunately, if I eventually need 3 trays, this can get very expensive with the 1up system.

Basically, these are the things I am looking for in a rack:

1) Durability
    2) Stability on highway (minimal sway)
    3) Keep cost under $400
    4) Minimize weight if possible.
    5) Ease of resale (not a serious concern, but still something to consider)

I would really appreciate some advice on this. Thanks!
    12 Specialized Crux Comp Disc Apex
    04 Specialized HardRock Sport

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I highly recommend the 1up rack. The nice thing about it is you can modify the rack depending on how many bikes you're carrying, versus other racks that you are stuck with a big heavy rack even though you're only carrying one bike. So if you're just starting out and only plan to carry 1 bike then the 1up would be a perfect, simple, lightweight solution. They are top-notch quality and hold the bike by the tires. Then to your point, if you need to carry more bikes later you can always expand.

mtbr member
    The weight capacity of the Raxter seems a little light at 90 lbs. Also, it wasn't clear in their description whether it accommodates fat tires, 29'ers, roadies, etc. It probably does but I'd get it clarified if I were moving forward with the Raxter.

The Kuat and Saris items are probably worth considering, in addition to the 1up, as well.

I might put storage space and ease of use in the equation, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1UpUSA is the original. I believe they license their patent on holding bike wheels with two arms to Raxter. Raxter doesn't fold up like the 1UpUSA version does. I have the 1UpUSA and would recommend it highly.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    1UpUSA is the original. I believe they license their patent on holding bike wheels with two arms to Raxter. Raxter doesn't fold up like the 1UpUSA version does. I have the 1UpUSA and would recommend it highly.

J.
    The Raxter does indeed fold, with the latest revision on the 2 and 3 bike models.

Thanks for the input guys. As much as I'd like to buy a 1-up, it's hard to justify nearly double the cost of the Raxter. Now i just need to decide between the 2 or 3 bike version.
    12 Specialized Crux Comp Disc Apex
    04 Specialized HardRock Sport

tl1
    Bicyclist

I've had a Raxter since 2008

It's 29er friendly, well made and light in weight. No issues at all with it so far.

tl1
    Bicyclist

When I was shopping for racks

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    The Raxter does indeed fold, with the latest revision on the 2 and 3 bike models.

Thanks for the input guys. As much as I'd like to buy a 1-up, it's hard to justify nearly double the cost of the Raxter. Now i just need to decide between the 2 or 3 bike version.
    1Ups and Raxters were sold from the same website along with 1Up trainers. I assumed they were the same company. Maybe they spun of Raxter or something, I don't know. They appear to be different companies now as one is in Wisconsin and one's in Oklahoma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I looked at the 1up and Raxter and ended up with the Raxter, mainly due to cost. Haven't regretted it one bit. I've used it to on trips ranging from 5 miles to 1000 miles, and have had zero issues. Haven't used the 1up, so I can't compare the two, but I can't think of anything I'd change about the Raxter. That being said, I hear that the 1up is amazing, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    1Ups and Raxters were sold from the same website along with 1Up trainers. I assumed they were the same company. Maybe they spun of Raxter or something, I don't know. They appear to be different companies now as one is in Wisconsin and one's in Oklahoma.
    I believe 1UpUSA licensed their patent to Raxter - it has to do with (my understanding) of having an arm for each tire on a rack.

J.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not exactly a bike rack, I saw this go by this morning. That's a lot of rack!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First-time buyer...Raxter?-prius-rack.jpg  

Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift