mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New question here. Does it fit in a 2006 Civic Coupe?

I'm a noob. I'm a recreational trail cruiser. Normally I rent the bike.

This fall season I want to buy a mountain bike. But I'm afraid that it will not fit in my 2 door car (2006 Civic coupe/ 8th gen Civic). I normally drive out of the city to go trail riding.

My car rear seats folds down. I know the bike's front wheel can come off.

Does it fit in this Civic model with all doors closed?

Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by trail_cruzer; 09-05-2011 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a 2007 Civic sedan. To fit my bike in (large frame mountain bike) I have to remove the front wheel and bike saddle, and fold down the rear seat of the car. There is plenty of room. It helps to be able to open a door to pull/guide the bike in, and I assume you could still do that in the coupe, you would just have to reach back a bit more.

It's kind of annoying to get the bike in there since I have to take off the wheel and seat, but once I do that it fits just fine. The internal space in the sedan vs the coupe is about the same.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Okay thanks.

The bike I'm planning to buy is I believe a standard size. From a dept store. I have a small budget.

"Kranked Factor Adult Full Suspension Bike, 26-in"
    Price: $200 - sale price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Now I'm wondering, has anyone fit a bike in this car with the seat up? I'm looking for a way to carry 3 bikes and 3 people, and if I get a 2 bike hitch rack and fit one in the trunk with the wheels off that would work. Unfortunately I don't have a split folding rear seat- it's all or nothing.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trail_cruzer View Post
    Okay thanks.

The bike I'm planning to buy is I believe a standard size. From a dept store. I have a small budget.

"Kranked Factor Adult Full Suspension Bike, 26-in"
    Price: $200 - sale price.
    It looks like we posted at the same time, so I didn't see this response until now.

26 inch is a standard wheel size, but most bikes come in different size frames to fit your height. I'm 6' tall so I ride a large frame in the particular brand of bike I have.

You might want to ask in the beginner section of the forum what the best bike for your budget is. A lot of people here don't like department store bikes for a lot of reasons. They get the job done, but in general you will be much better off with a bike store bike that fits you properly.

A good option for your budget would be a slightly used bike. If you are patient you can get a good deal on a much better bike. Craigslist is a good place to look, but you need to be careful because as someone new to biking you might not be able to recognize (potentially serious) problems with a used bike when you buy it. Another good option would be to see if there are any bike shops near by that sell used bikes.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a 96 civic coupe... I have not tried to put the bike in the trunk as I have a roof rack but I believe it would be very hard to put a bike in the trunk without folding the seats down. After I put my front tire, bookbag, clothes and toolbag in the trunk there is basically no room. I would suggest getting a rack to put all three bikes on and leave the trunk for extras. Especially since your car will have three people in it.

ballbuster

Well, getting OT, but...

Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    It looks like we posted at the same time, so I didn't see this response until now.

26 inch is a standard wheel size, but most bikes come in different size frames to fit your height. I'm 6' tall so I ride a large frame in the particular brand of bike I have.

You might want to ask in the beginner section of the forum what the best bike for your budget is. A lot of people here don't like department store bikes for a lot of reasons. They get the job done, but in general you will be much better off with a bike store bike that fits you properly.

A good option for your budget would be a slightly used bike. If you are patient you can get a good deal on a much better bike. Craigslist is a good place to look, but you need to be careful because as someone new to biking you might not be able to recognize (potentially serious) problems with a used bike when you buy it. Another good option would be to see if there are any bike shops near by that sell used bikes.
    Department store bikes are not intended for actual mountain bike trail riding. The main drawback is they have taller gearing for bike path use. In addition to being crazy heavy, the slack comfort sit-down geometry, this all makes for brutal climbing.

You would be way better off buying a used bike or a low rent new bike form an actual bike shop. Even the low rent stuff from an actual bike shop pretty good these days.

Yeah, I'll second that a used bike would also be a good way to go. Enlist the help of a friend in the know about bikes.

Yeah... that Kranked Factor is not a good choice. There is nothing worse than low rent suspension. You go boing boing boing right off the trail with no control, and it adds a ton of weight. You're way better off getting a hardtail. All of those linkages are thin stamped metal. Loads of side to side flex.

I used to cram a mountian bike in the trunk of my wife's Mk3 Jetta with the back seat up, both wheels off. Seems to me if you can split the rear seat, one side down, you should be able to do the same. I know the Civic trunk is smaller than the Jetta trunk, but should be in the ballpark.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-06-2011 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    No way the bike would fit without the seats down. You might be able to get away with 1 side down and the 3rd person can seat on the other side. Not 100% if the bike will fit with only 1 side down.

I put my bike in my car for a really really long time. I was never able to find a trunk rack that would work with my spoiler on the back (2000 Civic). I finally found the Saris RS, which fits under the spoiler. Ive been using that for a few weeks now and i have to say, its rock solid. I had 2 bikes on it the other day, np.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post

Yes I have posted my question regarding being a first time mtb buyer. I have received a lot of useful feedbacks to a point that I'm now stressed lol. Oh and yes every replier hates dept store bikes lol.

I'm only 5'5 tall. So I am searching for a 16 or 18 inch frame with 24 or 26 inch wheel. But with my small budget. Not much available out there. Mostly dept store bikes.
    I have decided to look for a hardtail. Based on the overwhelming reccommendations and anlysis of my situation. Also, I do not have to extra cash to fix or modify the bike. So I feel a classic simple bike with front suspensio and v brakes is the way to go. But at the end of the day it comes down to my budget. $300 is all I have for now. I will try to hunt for a good brand...new or used.

First I needed to know that it will fit in my 2006 civic coupe. As I do not intend to buy a rack. At least now I can move on to shopping for a bike.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would certainly save that money and put a little away every week till you have enough for a decent bike. You can spend the money now, buy something sub par and end up breaking it and it costing more to repair than its worth. Trust me, save, save, save....i know you cant wait to go out riding, its hella fun...but do it with the right bike. Ive seen the smart people who think they are different, walk out of the trail with a broken NEXT or Mongoose, blood gushing...dont be one of these guys. NOT 1 of those bikes are trail ready...the ONLY one i can think of that is a Department store bike is the Diamondback 29er. Its in the 400-500 range though. Ive seen people ride these, seem to hold up pretty well...if you search around the 29er forum, you will find a post about it.

Do the smart thing man, save till youre ready to buy the proper bike for the riding youre doing.

With the seats down and the front tire off, i can fit a 29er in my car...im sure you can with yours..back tire in first, turn your handle bars till its flat with the floor, should go right in.
    Last edited by HighLife420; 09-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I had a 2006 Civic coupe and was able to get two bikes in the trunk with the seats down. It gets a bit tight fitting them throuogh the opening but it was do-able. For reference, one was an 18" hardball and the second bike was a medium Ibis Mojo.

Once I got into a real pinch and managed to get three bikes in. But that was not fun.

Carl