Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

does any of you use the "amazing bike rack"?

saw this different bike rack called "amazing bike rack"
    look it up in google.
    does any of you use it?
    is it any good?
    do you think the license plate area is a solid spot for the bike rack?
    http://www.amazingbikerack.com
    Last edited by liranbachar; 10-14-2010 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not on my car.

code: mtbr2011
    link?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    http://www.amazingbikerack.com
    would you consider it as a replacment for a trunk rack?
    I dont have an option for a hitch, and I perfer a rear rack over a roof rack.
    Last edited by liranbachar; 10-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar
    i could have probably done that myself, thanks.....

for $150 i would probably choose something different, that doesn't rely on the license plate, like a trunk mount rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    that is what i currently have.
    But it doesnt give me any confidence, i keep checking my rear view mirror, and making sure the straps are tight

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just curious, what kind of car is a hitch not an option for, but still has a trunk? I'm sure there is one (obviously). Anyhow, it seems like a less than ideal solution. I'd go with a trunk or roof rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hyundai getz, i cant find a hitch for it
    The car can hardly power itself, so i guess nobody makes a tow hitch for it

mtbr member extraordinair
    Holy CARP.....are you telling me that whole rack relies on those wimpy screws that hold a license plate on?!? RUN AWAY!!!!!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

banned
    Apr 2010
    Most of those things bolt into plastic, or very thin sheets of trunklid metal that is NOT reinforced and designed to take loads. Mr Charismatic in the video claims there is no weight on the plate portion. How does he get that? Would any of you trust a loadbearing device like this, without a wide base and multiple points of anchoring for safety and stability?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    Most of those things bolt into plastic, or very thin sheets of trunklid metal that is NOT reinforced and designed to take loads.
    It appears the best options are a used roof rack (for reduced cost) or your strap-based trunk rack (currently paid-for). Otherwise, the "Amazing Bike Rack" is just named as such for humorous purposes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thank you everyone, I get the idea, keep away from this.
    do you know if it is possible to install a hitch on a hyundai getz?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anything is possible. Where are you located? You could have a local fabricator make something. A hitch rack is what I'd look into, personally. That would have the least impact upon your fuel economy.

mtbr member
    No way would I use that.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I looked at their youtube video online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9A8vzAemeE

It looks good to me if you have a solid trunk. On the video anyways. Many new cars come with plastic trunks though. Not mine. So I've ordered it. It got some good reviews and it only touches the car at one point which is a big deal for me. The main part stays under the plate and the rest is easy to mount. Like a hitch based one. Another big plus.

My car has no hitch available still since it is a new model. So that was not an option. The other "trunk" mounts that are popular all have many points where the straps touch so they seem like a pain to install.

Anyways... that is not why I am posting. I have ordered this thing from their website about 9 days ago. They have charged my card, I have received an order confirmation, and... nothing else. They are not returning calls, email bounces back, their webform does not work.

So be aware. I will give them a few more days before I will dispute the charge. If it does arrive I will edit this post and leave some feedback here as I think the idea is great as long you have a solid metal trunk.

Village Dirtbag
    The trunk sheet metal does support all the weight, but it's a shear-force only; straight down. There is no leverage on the sheet metal, like a traditional hitch mount, because all leverage forces are handled by the straps. Fore-aft swaying would also be handled by straps- this wouldn't work well with a single strap.

I hear this rack is pretty limited on what sort of frame designes it can handle.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    The trunk sheet metal does support all the weight, but it's a shear-force only; straight down. There is no leverage on the sheet metal, like a traditional hitch mount, because all leverage forces are handled by the straps. Fore-aft swaying would also be handled by straps- this wouldn't work well with a single strap.

I hear this rack is pretty limited on what sort of frame designes it can handle.

This rack has a single strap. And there's a plate mounted to the trunk underneath the license plate which supposedly prevents the whole setup from swaying side-to-side.

I think it's not the best situation - you can see where the trunk of his Audi (in the video) becomes deformed when he preloads the strap. I'm sure the strength of the license area plate is not enough to prevent heavy bikes from swaying side-to-side, which just means car damage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I see what you mean by the trunk deforming on the video. Although it is only for a moment.

Definitely not ideal. There is no doubt. None of these trunk mounted racks with straps compare to a hitch based system. But there is no such for my ride and there will not be one for a while. So I either buy the $300 roof rails from BMW so I can install a roof mounted setup on top of that or go with a trunk based one.

Good news is they have finally shipped it. I will see it in action. If it does not it goes right back and I will have to put the bike on the roof. Which will be a royal pain because I will have to keep installing the rails, then the bike holder on top every time I want to ride.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huncowboy
    I see what you mean by the trunk deforming on the video. Although it is only for a moment.
    Until you load 40+ lbs worth of bikes on the rack, increasing the strain on the trunk yet again.

There are infinitely better options out there for a similar price, especially if you're willing to buy used.

And what kind of car do you drive? Hitches are available for 95% of the cars on the road today, and hitch racks are cheap on craigslist (avg. of $50 for the low end.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It is 2011 bmw 550i. No hitch for it yet, only roof mounted things. The car is like a tank, and the trunk seems very solid. But I will just have to wait and see when I mount it. The other trunk based racks have only straps. This one at least has screws. I don't know.

Hi.
    Well good luck with your new rack. Let us know how it works out.

mtbr member
    good luck with that thing.
    Too many toys, not enough time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you have a Getz why don't you just get a normal trunk mount bike rack for hatchbacks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    getz? whazthat?

I just canceled this order. No communication from this dude what so ever. Screw it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Huncowboy
    getz? whazthat?

I just canceled this order. No communication from this dude what so ever. Screw it.

non-North American market Hyundai

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast