Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ckropp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    58

    Disc Brake Not Fitting on Universal Forklift

    So I have a Forrest with factor crossbars and the universal forklift. I have a Fisher 29er with an XT 180mm brake adapter. My brake sits too low and the fork does not fit in the mounting skewer. Anybody have this problem, and have a solution? Or am I damned to folding down the seats and throwing it in the back? Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ckropp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    58
    Oh sorry...its a Yakima rack

  3. #3
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by ckropp
    So I have a Forrest with factor crossbars and the universal forklift. I have a Fisher 29er with an XT 180mm brake adapter. My brake sits too low and the fork does not fit in the mounting skewer. Anybody have this problem, and have a solution? Or am I damned to folding down the seats and throwing it in the back? Thanks!
    Had the same problem with my Thule tray (The 589 Velo Vise style, shown in the photo below.) I only needed 1/4" or so for proper clearance. Notched the tray with a hacksaw, problem solved.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    code: mtbr2011
    Reputation: cracksandracks.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,030
    is the caliper of the disc brake hitting the front of the rack - or is it hitting the skewer?
    if it's the skewer, could you reverse the direction of it to alleviate the interference?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ckropp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    58
    No, its hitting the tray. I dont know if I want to start sawing my rack up haha. Maybe ill just sell it and get one that holds the whole bike instead.

  6. #6
    code: mtbr2011
    Reputation: cracksandracks.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,030
    bummer...i wouldn't recommend cutting that tray either. i think it would affect the integrity too much.

    there are other racks out there...like the rocky mounts tierod, that have a cutout in the tray to accomodate the caliper.

  7. #7
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    bummer...i wouldn't recommend cutting that tray either. i think it would affect the integrity too much.
    I'm sure Thule/Yakima would NEVER recommend a DIY fix, but depending of the location of your rear tire relative to the rear cross bar, in some circumstances the tray serves no structural purpose. Which is why Yakima can sell the Boa. and Thule formerly sold the #595 Velo Vise

    Granted, that as the distance between the rear wheel and rear cross bar increases, you will introduce increasing shear stress on the tray. For me it's worked fine for years.

  8. #8
    code: mtbr2011
    Reputation: cracksandracks.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55
    I'm sure Thule/Yakima would NEVER recommend a DIY fix, but depending of the location of your rear tire relative to the rear cross bar, in some circumstances the tray serves no structural purpose. Which is why Yakima can sell the Boa. and Thule formerly sold the #595 Velo Vise

    Granted, that as the distance between the rear wheel and rear cross bar increases, you will introduce increasing shear stress on the tray. For me it's worked fine for years.
    trimming the tray on the 589 velo vise is not the same as trimming the tray on the forklift.
    the forklfit is not a solid tray like the old thule. instead, it's made up of 2 independent rails running the length. cutting out 1 like you did on your 589 would seriously affect the integrity of one of those rails. in essence you would probably be removing over 50% of its thickness....

    the short trays like the old 595 or boa don't really have anything to do with disc brakes or structural integrity as much as they do for a "less is more" bike rack when using it in a basket, or on longer bar spreads.

  9. #9
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    trimming the tray on the 589 velo vise is not the same as trimming the tray on the forklift.
    the forklfit is not a solid tray like the old thule. instead, it's made up of 2 independent rails running the length. cutting out 1 like you did on your 589 would seriously affect the integrity of one of those rails. in essence you would probably be removing over 50% of its thickness....

    the short trays like the old 595 or boa don't really have anything to do with disc brakes or structural integrity as much as they do for a "less is more" bike rack when using it in a basket, or on longer bar spreads.
    Ah yeah, see what you mean, my bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •