mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Did getting a 29er made your old rack obsolete?

I just bought myself a 29er Cube AMS 120 and found both my roofracks too short - i had a Thule Big Mouth and the railings were on the verge of being too short - the other was a generic brand and it had an even shorter railing - these were ok on my 26inch bikes but then the 29er made me feel like i had gotten a Tandem instead....damn more money to be spent.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep, but for a slightly different reason. This is my first bike with disk brakes. I have three Thule trays for the roof rack of slightly different years. All three heads interfere with the caliper mounts. Like you, I ended up buying a new truck mount rack. At least with the new rack, I can swap it between cars. We were able to take my wife's (much nicer) car on a road trip with the mountain bike.

I pulled the roof rack off my Subaru. I get 1 - 2 mpg better mileage, but my son is right - the roof rack made my Subaru distinctive and easily spotted in a crowded parking lot. Now it's much harder to find.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nope, fits just fine on my T2. My fatbike even works just fine on it, although I use two small straps around the wheels for added security.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Nope, fits just fine on my T2. My fatbike even works just fine on it, although I use two small straps around the wheels for added security.
    How big are the tires on your fatbike? A fatbike is on my list for my next bike, so I'm thinking about rack compatibility. I'm getting a Kuat NV, which lists a 3" max tire width. I figured that with fat bike tire pressures so low I could cram a little more in there. I know the T2 is not much different, so curious how wide your tires are.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    How big are the tires on your fatbike? A fatbike is on my list for my next bike, so I'm thinking about rack compatibility. I'm getting a Kuat NV, which lists a 3" max tire width. I figured that with fat bike tire pressures so low I could cram a little more in there. I know the T2 is not much different, so curious how wide your tires are.
    ... Ahem....

1Up rack works perfectly well for Fatbikes. If you get the fatbike kit (basically a few simple spacers) you don't even have to let any air out of the tires.

As far as Big Mouth trays go, I have some Thule Lockjaw trays that came with my '96 GTi (and I kept when I sold it). They work fine with 29er bikes... wheels on. I'm surprised your trays are that much shorter. I mean, a 29er's wheelbase is only a couple-three inches longer than a 26er's.

My trays have some fore/aft adjustment between the upright downtube clamp thing and the tray part. Maybe you just need to adjust it a bit.

This pic shows my RacerX29er (with Lefty) on the tray.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My Thule big mouth trays were just fitting - it's the other generic brand that has the shorter tray. Anyway i cant use the Big mouth on the 29er - the downtube is squarish and large and it doesn't lock well- i'm getting a trunk rack for it - either a Saris Bones RS or the Thule Raceway.

Yes, the 1up is an awesome rack. Understood. But I don't get a discount on it. I was specifically asking Jayem about his T2, because they're listed as allowing a narrower max tire size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Am I missing something, in thinking that a 29er can't have that much longer a wheel base than a 700c roadbike- or, if those are short (I dunno) surely not shorter than a proper 700c road touring bike, like a Surly Long Haul Trucker? When I had my LHT it fit on my racks no problem- both two different Thule roof racks, and a Thule hitch rack (the model below the T2)
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    4.0. The tire sits on "top" of the tray, but due to the fact that the tire cross-section is a circle, part of it still sits "in", even though it's far bigger than the "max" size. I get about 2-3 clicks of the arm when I sinch it down, but I have to load it a little differently to get the arm over the tire near the fork, as the wheel/tire is too big to just lift the arm over it. After I get a few clicks I simply put a strap around the front wheel and rack and rear wheel (can't use the supplied rear strap because it's too small, I don't know if they make anything longer for fatbikes). Anyways, it works fine, only thing that really takes more time is just putting two straps on, and that's not much. This is how most people transport their fatbikes up here, but if you really want it to "fit" in the trays you can always get a heat-gun and soften the front tray and pry it apart a bit. People have done that too up here.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Did getting a 29er made your old rack obsolete?

Good info Jayem. Sounds like i could make a fatbike fit ok on my new Kuat, too