Thread: Deadlock system

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Deadlock system

Heya everybody,

So I'm curious, just how good is the deadlock system from Yakima? I'm about to embark on a 2 week road trip/camping trip/mountain biking trip, and it's going to involve the bikes sitting around for about 3 days on the back of my car in a major city.

I've got a deadlock system on the rack, and I'm curious how good ya'll think it is? Should I find a bike rack to lock our bikes to, or leave the bikes on the car with the deadlock system engaged?

This is my first time using this rack, so I'm not really sure just how good of a deterrent it is.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think I could be through that in less than 30 seconds with a bolt cutter. A battery powered sawzall would go through the rack arm in even less than that.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Righto, that was kind of what I was thinking. I've got no problems leaving it locked to the rack when I'm at the campsite and my tent is 5 feet away from it, but in the middle of a city? Not so much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's back to that old saw that locks are for honest people.

These sorts of locks are good for running in to get a drink while you are getting gas or something like that.

J.