mtbr member
    Sep 2009

CRV to Honda Fit

I have been driving a Honda CRV since 1999, hit 250,000 miles and decided its time to get another vehicle.

In the CRV - I drop the seat on the mountain bike, remove the front wheel and then roll the bike rear wheel first into the back, I have an oak 2X6 cut to handlebar width to which I mounted a front fork retainer that you use in pickups. I clip the forks into the retainer and then place the front wheel parrellel against the bars , resting on the oak, and bungee the wheel to the bars. The bike rides vertical in the CRV with room on both sides for all my car camping stuff.

I work a great a job that allows me to drive to different states for two weeks or more at a time each month and I take the bike to every location. The issue has become gas mileage and $$$$$ wasted on gas.

I test drove 7 different medium SUVs, small SUVs, and station wagons, before I tried the Honda Fit. Gas mileage was always in the mid to high 20's for the SUVs and station wagons but for the Fit it is in the mid to upper 30's

The bike actually fits better in the Fit than in the CRV and I can still carry all my car camping stuff along both sides of the bike. Loaded at 75 mph on cruze I am getting 34 to 35 mpg! The best the CRV ever got was 27mpg on cruze at 70 mph.

The only draw back is the front ground effects air dam is really low so a bad dirt road has to be driven very slowly.

ZIT30/34

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Good to know. I'm about to get a new car and the fit is at the top of my list. It does 2 of the 3 i want, it's cheap and fits a bike well, just a little boring to drive though?

I'd get a manual trans for sure. Is yours?

mtbr member
    What about looking at a Golf or Jetta Wagon TDI? On the highway once broken in you may get near what some report, around 50 mpg. Both cost a lot more than the Fit of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortechcoupe
    Good to know. I'm about to get a new car and the fit is at the top of my list. It does 2 of the 3 i want, it's cheap and fits a bike well, just a little boring to drive though?

I'd get a manual trans for sure. Is yours?
    I had an '08. Def not boring to drive. Handles reasonably well, great steering feel. The stock tires sucked. There was too much body roll in long sweeping corners. Perfect shifter, very light clutch. Overall, it was great to drive in the city.

I was not a fan on the highway - too much road noise, lack of arm rest and dead pedal (fixed on the new ones). The build quality did not impress - Japanese or not, it's still an economy car. The front bumper had lots of rock chips after 30k miles (suburban driving, no harsh winters). Dead reliable though - as it should have been.

If your requirements are cheap, hauls a bike well, and is fun to drive - I couldn't think of a better car. I replaced mine with an old 5 series - just needed to ditch the payment to get my wife a new car.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    The price difference between a golf/jetta wagon and a fit is close to $10,000. You can buy a good bit of gas for that.

As far as fun goes, that will depend on what you are used to and what you call fun. I drove a friends fit for about ten hours last weekend and enjoyed the heck out of it. I'm used to driving a truck though. It's not a "fast" car, but it's really zippy and fun to toss around. Even with the limited power I still had trouble staying close to the speed limits. It has plenty of power to cruise at well over any legal speed in the US (except up steep hills) and will keep up with most other cars getting to those speeds.

The amount of stuff that car can hold is pretty amazing too. We had two whitewater kayaks (one 7'6" long and the other 7'9"), boating gear, camping gear for a couple of days, and two people inside.

Granny Gear Abuser
    Had a fit. Had two actually. Loved them a lot. Great cars and a great ride. I miss the spacious trunk area that you has with the "MAGIC" seats. But, I love my Subaru Outback Sports for the reason they can take me more places in foul weather and the Subies' "LOVE" the snow.
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

mtbr member
    You could always remove the front ground effect

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have to agree with all the Fit love. The "ground effects" that the OP might have been talking about isn't removable unless it was part of the Mugen bodykit (or similar aftermarket). Anyhow, I also had to drive painfully slow on dirt roads to avoid scraping which is a pain. But, the Fit does exactly what its supposed to do (be an economy car) pretty much flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good day all,

I choose the automatic, I have always driven a manual, then this year I crashed and broke my left knee cap not once but twice. The first time I was 743 miles from home and had to drive the CRV with my left leg in a cast. I used a friggin cane to actuate the clutch and it sucked or should I say I sucked, fortunately 700 of those miles was on interstate and turnpikes. The second knee smash I just called my wife.

The air dam on my sport version cannot be taken off as it is physically intrinsic to the bumper.

I tried the Jetta/Golf wagons and actually liked them very much. I drive a car for ten years and save for a new car during that time, as such I had the money but felt that they were both just too much car for what I wanted. If we want to hit the road in style we take my wife's Mercedes C class. I actually drove a Mercedes R class and loved it but my wife puked a lung, she walked around the CRV taking note of all the body damage that vehicle received hauling squirt boats and bikes the past 10 years and told me no way in her life time was I sliding a $50,000 R class into a tree at some remote West Virginia putin. The R class was truly a nice car

As for driving fun, the Fit so far has been fun, quick enough, and more than fast enough on the highway, but then again I am old and not in hurry to get anywhere fast.

ZIT30/34

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The little honda's seem to be able to hold a good deal! Even my Crx can hold a couple bikes, luggage, and me and my girfriend. I get in the 40's in gas milage AND its the SI version.. I couldnt immagine what an HF would be like.. but im contempt with the SI, its actually got some good power and is relatively fun to drive.