Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Considering a 2013 WRX Wagon... need insight

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  litany 
#1 ·
I'm kind of spoiled by the size of my Land Cruiser. I can put 4 bikes on the roof, 4 full-size guys inside and all their gear in back with NO problem. Of course, at 15mpg... I need those other 3 guys to kick in for gas ;)

The reality is I rarely "need" all that space. But I wonder if the Impreza/WRX wagon is going to be too much of swing the other way - and just be too small.

I know I wouldn't be tossing the XL 29er in the back (front wheel on) of the WRX... but what's the cargo capacity like in real-world mountain biking use?

Thanks. Oh, and I know the Outback is likely the perfect balance... but I just love the look of that WRX

#2 ·
I have a 2009 WRX hatchback, and I was able to fit my 29er in the back with the front wheel off. I'm planning on getting a roof rack soon.

I use a roof rack for my snowboards, and I'm able to take up 3 people and our snow gear no problem (folding one of the seats down). 4 people would be a tight fit, but possible.

#3 ·
Just back from the Subaru dealer. Didn't drive a WRX, just sat in it, moved the seats around, etc... fully expecting to rule it out as too small. Nope. I was surprised how big it is in side. I'm 6'1" but have really long legs (ride XL mtn bikes and 61cm road bikes). I put the driver's seat where I'd drive it, got in the back - and had plenty of room. I was kinda shocked. I had to check something... I got in the back seat of my Land Cruiser - and had MUCH less legroom. Okay, cargo's a different story. But I think it could work.

Thanks CABCDEFG

#4 ·
I have a 2011, keep in mind the rear window is angled so the trunk has a lot less room than it looks like. When looking for bike racks you also have to be careful about it hitting the rear wing, apparently some are long enough and not adjustable enough that it interferes.

I think the subaru aero bars are the best bet. The car has built in mount points for the roof rack and a lot of the aftermarket systems are grabbing onto the window frames. Talk about scratched paint. The subaru rack isn't expensive and is made to work perfectly...

Wrx is also a ton of fun to drive, completely different (way better) than the other cars you mentioned. The gearbox is actually pretty good and there is no need for the Sti shifter as the stock one you aren't prone to miss gears or anything. However if a tall passenger is sitting cross legged you can't get into 5th lol. Then again I've only driven 3 other manual cars (2011 m3, 2011 mustang gt, 2006 corvette c6) .

#5 ·
Hadn't thought of how the rack could interfere with the hatch/wing. So, you're saying that if the trays are long enough, the wing will hit then when the hatch is opened? My mtn bike sits in the Thule Echelon tray at the very back - takes up the entire tray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.