Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lone Wolf McQuade

Class I or II hitch for me?

My brain is starting to hurt. I drive a 2006 Toyota Matrix XR and need to buy a hitch that will carry this tray type of bike rack;

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/hitch-...hitch-rack.htm

Hollywood Racks is off for the holidays so I'm turning to the trusty MTBR boards for answers.

With my two bikes I will be well under the 45lbs, per bike, that Hollywood Racks suggests not to exceed. My question is; With this rack and my two bikes, will I need a Class I or II hitch to hold it? I think the answer will be II because it will hold more tongue weight? There's about a $50 price difference between the Class I and II hitches........Thank you in advance for any information you can throw my way. Matt
    I should be out riding....

code: mtbr2011
    when in doubt go bigger........always.
    spend the extra dough and forget about it. you don't want to load up to the limit and be worried every time you get on a rougher road, or hit a pothole.

ballbuster

second that...

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    when in doubt go bigger........always.
    spend the extra dough and forget about it. you don't want to load up to the limit and be worried every time you get on a rougher road, or hit a pothole.
    do the biggest one your car allows. You can always get a shim to go from 2" to 1 1/4". My XPort rack actually came with it.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I had a feeling I should go bigger just to be safe, thank you both for your replies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have a Corolla and I think it only has a class 1 weight capacity. I mounted a Draw-Tite class 1 hitch on it. Classs 1's only support 1 1/4" hitches. Check out the link to see what's available for Matrices (sp).

http://www.drawtite.com/trailerhitches1.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You have a tiny car. You are not going to hitch a trailer on it. Class II hitches weighs more which translates to more gas consumption. I say go for the Class I

here's a hitch that fits your matrix http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~24812.h...eid=2006201588

Religion = Non-thinking
    also say class 1 hitch. class 1 hitches are good enough for all the bikes you will install on it.

i use a class 1 hitch with 1.25" receiver on my accord and i hit PLENTY of potholes with my rack and i'm fine!
    dont waste your money on big heavy pieces of metal that u dont need
    RH SL Pro

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannylingus
    You have a tiny car. You are not going to hitch a trailer on it. Class II hitches weighs more which translates to more gas consumption. I say go for the Class I

here's a hitch that fits your matrix http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~24812.h...eid=2006201588
    Class II hitches do not weigh so much more that the additional mass will affect fuel consumption...
    mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If there is a class 2 option for your car get it. The weight difference between the two hitches is negligible. If in the future you need the class 2 to pull something heavier you have that option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The guy owns a matrix, not an suv. I don't think the added weight of the class II hitch + the added weight of 2" racks is negligible. Those things are dang heavy.

Religion = Non-thinking
    No point in a class 2. Useless for a matrix
    RH SL Pro

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannylingus
    The guy owns a matrix, not an suv. I don't think the added weight of the class II hitch + the added weight of 2" racks is negligible. Those things are dang heavy.
    It's still less than 1% of the total GVW. If that mattered a good BM for 4 occupants would affect the gas mileage.. and so would a couple bags of groceries.
    mike

Drunken fool
    Geez, do you shave all your body hair, trim your nails and use an enema before you drive your car? If you're worried about the 5 or so pounds more that a class 2 weighs, you may want to just go to that extreme.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

Religion = Non-thinking
    But for a matrix a class 2 doesn't do anything more than a class 1 can. So it really is more weight for no reason
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A class 2 hitch will provide more stability with it's 2" opening. However, I don't think the Matrix is class 2 rated; my Corolla isn't. As others have said: weight increase is negligible and should not be a determining factor.

Religion = Non-thinking
    yea i could only find a class 1 hitch for my accord, probably the same for the matrix.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    I had a feeling I should go bigger just to be safe, thank you both for your replies.
    I read through the whole thread, and that's the way I'd go as well. What I've read is that the 2" receivers and racks are much more rigid, and you have a much greater choice in racks. It doesn't matter if your car isn't supposed to tow Class II trailers, if the sole reason for the Class II hitch is a rack mount.

Religion = Non-thinking
    is there even a class 2 hitch for the matrix?

what about for a 2005 accord?
    RH SL Pro

Religion = Non-thinking
    http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2006_Toyota_Matrix.htm
    i'm wrong, go for this class 2 hitch, it looks like its the only one available from etrailer, its from Curt, MFG. i have the same brand model and it installs pretty easily with 2 people. $140 free shipping when u add another $10 item.
    RH SL Pro

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I just got off the phone with a Hollywood Racks rep and he said the Sportrider 2 rack/bikes would be no problem installed on a Class I hitch. The hitch I will be installing onto the Matrix will be for the bike rack/bikes only, no towing, and it'll accept the 1 1/4 rack fine.

Thanks to all that responded

Lone Wolf McQuade
    It's on. Looks good, no wobbles what-so-ever and holds the bikes perfectly. Next thing to do is buy a locking hitch pin, then drill some holes in the rack to run some locking security cable for the bikes. No more taking the front tires on and off anymore, I'm happy with it.

Side note; I was getting 28mpg city/freeway mix with just the yakima roof rack, no bikes, on my 06 Matrix XR AT. My last mpg reading without any bike racks on the car was 33.4mpg!!! Wow! I'm interested to see what I'll get with this tray style rack........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Class I or II hitch for me?-hitch.jpg  

Class I or II hitch for me?-specs.jpg  

Class I or II hitch for me?-bike.jpg  

Class I or II hitch for me?-car.jpg  

Religion = Non-thinking
    ^^ that rack looks like the same design as my sportrack, i only paid $150 total for mine and it included an anti-rattle+locking hitch pin & also a lock to lock the bikes onto the bike rack.

hope you didn't pay anything more because that rack doesn't look more secure nor is it of better design
    RH SL Pro

jrm
    mtbr member

One thing

remember that the bike in the rack is wider then the car.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I guess it's the camera angle that makes the bike on the rack look wider than the car but it's not. Here's a pic from the back and front of the car. I'm loving the hitch/tray style rack. No more taking the front wheel on and off, why didn't I switch years ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Class I or II hitch for me?-back.jpg  

Class I or II hitch for me?-front.jpg  

mtbr member
    looks good. the tray style racks are nice. i have the xport that looks exactly the same. thanks for following up on your decision and with pics!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast