Thread: Chevy Equinox

mtbr member

Chevy Equinox

I'm considering buying an Equinox. I guess I've gotten to that point where my love of my bikes dictates what type of car I can own. My concern is that looking at the factory rails on the Equinox, they appear to be kinda far back. Does anyone have this vehicle with a roof rack on it? And does the rack give enough clearance to open the back hatch? Or do you have to turn the rack backwards? I hate the look of backwards bikes, but I can make it work if I have to. Any input or pictures will help. Thanks

code: mtbr2011
    this is a really tough car to fit...you must make sure that yours comes equipped wth the elevated facory installed siderails.
    the crossbars are wimpy, and i wouldn't trust them very much...
    yakima railgrabs work well on there...the fact that they're far back isn't that big of a deal with fork mount bike racks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. So something like this should work then Thule 450 Crossroad Complete Rack System for Siderails right? I already have a Thule rack on my current car. So I plan to just move the trays over

code: mtbr2011
    the elevated siderail on that car - if my memory serves me - is surrounded by large oversized endcaps at the front and back...meaning there is very little roof for the crossbars, and a favorable crossbar spread when using the 450 from thule.
    the channel, however on the inside of the siderail accomdates the yakima railgrabs better because it runs full length, providing more flexibility in the install allowing you to put the crossbars in a more flexible location