mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Charger SRT8 and E46 single bike options?

I am debating cars and one of the things that will be part of it is carrying my bike.

I am looking at the 2009/2010 Charger SRT8 and 2005/2006 M3

I currently am using a Saris Bones 2 and it works ok. It leaves black foot prints on the top of my bumper (white car), they polish off though just fine.

mtbr member
    The M3 has bolts holes for the 'feet' on the roof. There's little flaps on the rain gutter that flip up to reveal the bolt holes. One of the easiest and best mounting system I've used on a car. And it doesn't leave any footprints behind

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah alot of cars these days have those little thingys. Thule and Yakima should make footpacks that screw directly into those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just an update and a still pending need. I very very rarely will be hauling my mountain bike...a roof rack would be overkill I think. Are they easy to take on and off? I don't mind the expense, but I don't want the rack on 24/7.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    1up.

/brokenrecord

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For the E46 the Thule or BMW system has a smaller footprint, but is more involved for getting on and off. The Yakima set up has the landing pads which will make contact with the paint but most of the rack can be taken off without tools.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Bike rack on an SRT8? Dont ruin that thing. I think the simple trunk mounts are the way to go without messing up your mo-chine.

mtbr member
    Based on your needs, Seasucker may be the right rack for you.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vylanous View Post
    Bike rack on an SRT8? Dont ruin that thing. I think the simple trunk mounts are the way to go without messing up your mo-chine.
    Except that all trunk racks scratch paint and sometimes dent the panels over time. Put a hidden-hitch type on there, it ties together the rear end (helps with handling) and is not noticable from 99% of viewpoints.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Except that all trunk racks scratch paint and sometimes dent the panels over time. Put a hidden-hitch type on there, it ties together the rear end (helps with handling) and is not noticable from 99% of viewpoints.
    Agreed. I assume the OP is into cars (at least w/ the E46 ) so why mess around with something that looks terrible and is functionally deficient? A nice hitch won't be super obvious and then you'd have a super secure and efficient way to carry your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Agreed. I assume the OP is into cars (at least w/ the E46 ) so why mess around with something that looks terrible and is functionally deficient? A nice hitch won't be super obvious and then you'd have a super secure and efficient way to carry your bike.
    Just buy a beater to haul your bike. There should be a law against putting a bike on either of those cars!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Got my CX Bike, cooler, and all my gear to the trail head today in my E46 ZHP. Thankfully I have the fold down rear seats... I still want an OEM rack though.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    There is a hitch for the last gen of Charger that is really nice. When not in use, it is COMPLETELY hidden by the bumper. I am pretty sure it is an OEM part (Mopar) and might be more expensive, but this is the PERFECT hitch for anybody that cares about what the car looks like.

https://www.dodgeparts.com/product_i...oducts_id/1747

The part in the picture (the receiver) actually wraps under the bumper and goes up. The receiver can be removed when not in use just like you would remove a tow ball on a normal hitch.

That hitch plus a decent rack (I use a Kuat Sherpa myself) and you are set!
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have an E46 M3 and I can haul my 21" frame Trek X-Cal in it with the rear seats down quite easily. The front wheel and saddle do have to come off but only take a moment to re-install. I think either vehicle will easily swallow a bike as long as the rear seats fold down, and you will still have front seats completely empty for passengers.