mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Carrying carbon fiber bike?

Hey Everyone. I recently purchased my first carbon fiber mountain bike and am looking for best way to carry it to and from the trail. I have an F150 and was looking at the gate mate from thule but wasn't sure if carrying a carbon frame that way you could cause damage to the frame? Anyone have any experience carrying their bike that way? A rack isn't really an option because I have a tonneau cover that has to stay on but folds up enough that the bike would stand up in the bed. A hitch rack isn't an option either because I tried three different ones and they all set the backup sensors off and blocked the camera which I have to use quite a bit. I've been laying it down under the tonneau in the bed but I'm worried it's going to get banged up bouncing around. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Derek

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2183 View Post
    Hey Everyone. I recently purchased my first carbon fiber mountain bike and am looking for best way to carry it to and from the trail. I have an F150 and was looking at the gate mate from thule but wasn't sure if carrying a carbon frame that way you could cause damage to the frame? Anyone have any experience carrying their bike that way? A rack isn't really an option because I have a tonneau cover that has to stay on but folds up enough that the bike would stand up in the bed. A hitch rack isn't an option either because I tried three different ones and they all set the backup sensors off and blocked the camera which I have to use quite a bit. I've been laying it down under the tonneau in the bed but I'm worried it's going to get banged up bouncing around. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Derek

After like 5 seconds my backup sensors shut off and the system is fine, they disable themselves when my rack is installed. On the subject of the backup camera....seriously?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    my sensors don't shut off and the camera is needed for work since i drag and drop off a trailer on a regular basis and hookup without someone directing me....i also live downtown so parallel parking a 20ft truck isn't the easiest thing to do.

mtbr member
    You won't have any issues laying the bike down on its side under a tonneau cover. If you want some extra protection lay down an old quilt or some towels or cardboard under the bike.

mtbr member extraordinair
    People think nothing of crashing a bike during a ride, but are afraid to lay it down on its side during transport. Put it under the tonneau and be done with it. If your worried about scratches, follow sasquatch's suggestion of using an old blanket or something. That way you'll also have the advantage of it being out of sight.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    People think nothing of crashing a bike during a ride, but are afraid to lay it down on its side during transport. Put it under the tonneau and be done with it. If your worried about scratches, follow sasquatch's suggestion of using an old blanket or something. That way you'll also have the advantage of it being out of sight.
    I agree with you