mtbr member
    May 2008

Carrying bikes on an old school vw bug

Im currently in search of a really cherry pre-67 vw bug. plan to drive it pretty regularly and thus im going to need a way to carry my bike. Ill be carrying an all mountain rig, so im a bit concerned about the fortitude of the typical rack you can put on these cars (think surf rack). I dont want to dent the roof, screw up the rain gutters or lose the thing on the freeway altogether. Ive also heard that somehow, miraculously, you can mount a hitch on a bug but they dont appear to be the receiver type.

anyone have experience carrying bikes on a bug? Help a Brotha out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I carried bikes on my 67 using a 1A rain gutter Yakima rack without issues. It's been a while, but I think you need a riser kit to get the bars high enough to clear the round roof.
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Try seasucker. I use mine on every car I had. I now use it on My Mini Cooper

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    Try seasucker. I use mine on every car I had. I now use it on My Mini Cooper

Now that's in interesting concept...although I gotta admit I'd be horrified to put that on a classic car (as unfounded as that may be).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    I carried bikes on my 67 using a 1A rain gutter Yakima rack without issues. It's been a while, but I think you need a riser kit to get the bars high enough to clear the round roof.
    About how long did you run that setup? Two carriers? Im going to look into that thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duderidesabike View Post
    About how long did you run that setup? Two carriers? Im going to look into that thanks.
    I ran that for a couple summers. It didn't tweak the rain gutters or anything.

Also, hitches are really sketchy on bugs... I'd avoid that idea.
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep, that's what I did on my vintage bugs too. And yes, you will need the tall towers .
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    My dad always owned bugs when I was a kid. I used to carry my bike by placing the wheels in/on the back bumper and bungee cording it to the vent slits above the trunk. Did some LONG trips with it like that - I remember I would remove one pedal so it wouldn't scratch the car. Of course this was a stingray bike with 20" wheels, banana seat and monkey bars. Those were the good ol days!

mtbr member
    Digging up this old-ish post... Regular Yakima towers can work on a VW Beetle, but they do get close to the roof. I had a Yakima rack I used on my '68. I had two bike trays and kayak saddles in the middle. No problems.

bug.jpg