mtbr member

Carring Specialized Carbon Bike on Hitch Rack

On my old Stumpy I would mount my bike on my rack through the small opening where the top tupe and seat tube meet. It worked real nice actually. That bike was aluminum. I got a new Camber Comp Carbon 29er. Wondering if I mount it the same way if that will be bad for the finish and weaken the fram eventually. I know they make those bars for bikes that connect under your seat and run to your handlebar but I have a dropper post and am worried about it messing with that. Any experiance with this, MTBRers?

mtbr member
    I put my brand new Epic Comp Carbon on my Thule rack two nights ago with no issues. The rear shock was resting on on of the rubber supports. I considered the "bar" for my bike but the manager at the shop said it would make the bike sway more and I would need more tie downs etc, just to hold it in place.

I also read in the case of Thule that the "bar" can be finicky and hard to open etc., so I will stick with my working approach until I have a reason to change.

mtbr member
    The hitch I have is the hitch I have as a profile pic. I am just worried it swaying back and fourth on the back of my truck would eat away at the finish then compromise the carbon. Maybe I will have to switch to a hitch mount that holds the bikes at the tires , rather than the frame. I am new to this carbon business.