Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Car that will fit bike with both wheels on or front off under $12k

I'm looking for a car that I can fit my 29er in with both wheels on preferably or the front off. used under $12k. probably won't buy anything with over 70k miles. I'm leaning towards a mazda 3 hatchback, something that handles well and gets 25+ mpg on the hwy are important. I also like the dodge magnum, it would probably fit the bike with both wheels, doesn't get too good on gas though.

The Mud Stud
    If you are looking for something that handles well you should probably run from Dodge (generally speaking). Take a good look at Subaru Impreza hatchbacks and their Outback and Forester lineup from previous years. The Mazda is a great choice, not sure if the bike will fit with both wheels on though. I'm guessing it will.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Take a look at a Toyota Tacoma....you are likely going to need a pickup if you don't want to at least remove the front wheel. My Subaru XV Crosstrek(same interior size as an Impreza hatch) fits my Stumpy FSR 29er large frame with the front wheel off with no issues at all.

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Take a look at a Toyota Tacoma....you are likely going to need a pickup if you don't want to at least remove the front wheel. My Subaru XV Crosstrek(same interior size as an Impreza hatch) fits my Stumpy FSR 29er large frame with the front wheel off with no issues at all.
    Yeah I agree with Tech. If you drop both seats, you may be able to fit a 26'er in most of these cars with both wheels on. 29...well that's kind of pushing it. You may be looking at pickup or SUV territory if that's the case. I would expect you could fit one into an outback, but any outback built after 2010 is a bit...well boring.

psycho cyclo addict
    A used Honda Crosstour. Prolly a bit north of 12k; dunno. I have a 2010 and have zero complaints. 4WD works great too... on my last trip into 15+ inches of snow I did better than 2 Subaru's

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've had a couple Mazda 3's and first off they are great little cars. I don't recall how well my 29er fit in the back but you will definitely have to take the front wheel off at least, maybe both wheels. Best option with a 3 is a rack of some sort. I had a roof rack on mine. I miss that car but it wasn't big enough for kids

Last edited by Jazn_84; 01-17-2013 at 09:13 AM.

cbw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a mazda 3 hatchback with a roof rack setup. Before the roof rack I would just fit them in the back. 2 29ers plus camping gear for a weekend trip was pushing it but it all fit.

You will need to take the front wheels off to get them to fit though.

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    A used Honda Crosstour. Prolly a bit north of 12k; dunno. I have a 2010 and have zero complaints. 4WD works great too... on my last trip into 15+ inches of snow I did better than 2 Subaru's

The crosstour is one of the only cars I've ever seen that can rival the outback design ideology. The only other is from the likes of volvo. How do you like it overall?

ballbuster
    Just about any car, sedan or hatchback (naturally, not a small two seater sports car with no back seat), can fit a 29er with both wheels off, as long as you're willing to put the back seat down flat... heck, even with the back seat up. Heck, my '02 A4 has a pretty small back seat and I got a bike back there once with both wheels off on a moving blanket. I wouldn't want to make a habit of it, but in a pinch...

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    The crosstour is one of the only cars I've ever seen that can rival the outback design ideology. The only other is from the likes of volvo. How do you like it overall?
    I bought a 2010 at the end of the model year (my first new car purchase everrrrr) and have zero complaints. I get ~29 MPG on the highway (combined is ~22), it is the quietest car Honda has manufactured (dunno if the 2013 Accord or other models come close but maybe), the hatch opens all the way in my garage, fits two 29er's inside (second one I take the front wheel off for easier navigation and less scratch potential).

Fitting bikes completely inside was one of my top requirements. You have to get up close to the glass to see a bike in there. Most folks don't believe it fits in there. I have a Kuat rack with built-in security lock but I don't trust any locks for more than a few minutes or when the car is in full view. I have a tarp that I can put down for coming back from mudfest rides if needed.

Some people hate it but the vast majority give me on the road or want to ask a bunch of questions about it when it is parked. They make a 4 banger now though the 6 cyl. is fine by me.

mtbr member
    crosstour is nice, cheapest one I found was 17k though. too bad Honda holds its value so well, lol

Honda Fit. Needs front wheel off. Gets close to 40MPG. If I didn't ski, this would be my pick. (Need AWD for my life style).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Honda Fit. Needs front wheel off. Gets close to 40MPG. If I didn't ski, this would be my pick. (Need AWD for my life style).
    I'm not to wild about the honda fit looks. believe it gets 33 mpg hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by cbw View Post
    I have a mazda 3 hatchback with a roof rack setup. Before the roof rack I would just fit them in the back. 2 29ers plus camping gear for a weekend trip was pushing it but it all fit.

You will need to take the front wheels off to get them to fit though.
    I heard you can fit a 29er in with both wheels on with the passenger seat forward, true or no?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you want to leave both wheels on then put it on the roof.

mtbr member
    I can fit 2 bikes (one 26, one 29) in the back of my 2 door VW rabbit (2007), if I take the front wheels off. If you drop the seat post on both, you can have them both standing up right on one side, and load the other side of the car with bags. I've done many trips like that.

Back seats down, of course.

It's a cavernous little bastard, that car. probably even more, if you get the 4 door. You can get a used rabbit/golf for under 12 easy. Go MkV or MkVI (2006-current).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Scion XB fits my 29er with both wheels on, passenger side seat moved slightly forward

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My old pontiac vibe aka toyota matrix worked really well for that. Could easily fit my 29er in the back with the front wheel on. It also has two tracks in the floor for attaching things which I used to mount fork mounts too which made it really nice for hauling two bikes in the back with the front wheels off. Without using the fork mounts you could probably shove 3 or 4 bike in there. Plus the the back area is plastic which made cleaning easy.

My jetta wagon also works the same and is a bit longer which makes the 29er fit a bit better but it is carpeted and nicer so I just put the bikes on the roof all the time now. It also gets around 40mpg thanks to the diesel engine .

cbw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    I'm not to wild about the honda fit looks. believe it gets 33 mpg hwy.

I heard you can fit a 29er in with both wheels on with the passenger seat forward, true or no?
    You may be able to squeeze it. This intrigues me. I'll try tomorrow for ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbw View Post
    You may be able to squeeze it. This intrigues me. I'll try tomorrow for ya.
    thanks, post a photo if possible. mazda 3 hatch is still on the top of my list.

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    thanks, post a photo if possible. mazda 3 hatch is still on the top of my list.
    As it should be. Anyone seriously considering a mazda 3 should also consider a subaru impreza hatch. They are direct competitors for a good reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    As it should be. Anyone seriously considering a mazda 3 should also consider a subaru impreza hatch. They are direct competitors for a good reason.
    I've only found 2 for sale within 200 miles under $14k

The Mud Stud
    Well that is just bad luck. They do hold their value incredibly well compared to many other companies. It's part of the reason there are so few on sale used (go figure right?) as well as their lofty used pricing. They also usually run forever. I would guess the Mazda would run for a pretty damn long time too, I've heard good things.

mtbr member
    I have an Audi allroad (the original A6 based car, not the new A4 based one) and it can fit a lot of stuff in the back with the seats folded down. However, fitting my size large 29er with both wheels on is still tight, and only works if the fork is rigid or short travel. Height of a 29er front end and the narrow width of most cars is the issue here, however the 29er does make full use of the length of the allroad as well. For a short car like the Mazda 3 I don't see any way you could keep both tires on, but with front wheel off should be able to fit two bikes easy.

I also have a 2 bike hitch rack, and had a 3 bike roof rack before that, but for long weekend trips having the bikes inside is nice for security and fuel savings (if using roof rack, hitch rack not so much).

Here is the allroad packed with two 26" DH bikes, front wheels off, and camping gear for a weekend...

You can buy almost any allroad like mine for under $12k these days, and while in some ways it is a great car, it can be very troublesome and cost a lot to fix if you don't DIY, and gets an average of 17-18 mpg. Plus they are 10+ years old.
    Last edited by JustMtnB44; 01-20-2013 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mazda 3 owner here, sedan version. I can fit two bikes in the back seat with all the wheels taken off, both 26ers though, so I don't know how your 29er would fit. I squeeze them in by flipping the frames upside down so that they're laying on the saddle/handlebars, one from each side of the car.

cbw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well forgive me for 1. messy car. 2. lazy effort of getting it in.

Here's my mazda 3 hatch. Passenger seat forward. Large 29er. First picture is the gap left for the bike to move forward. I just didn't want to empty out all my junk aka clean my car. Second picture shows how far in I got it. Third picture my roof rack setup which I am super happy with.

So I can say if you have a clean car you can fit a 29" mtb in the back of the mazda 3 with both wheels on with the passenger seat pushed forward.

I went without a rack for about 6 months before getting a roof rack setup and I would always take the front wheel off and the bikes slide in with ease.

But honestly just taking 5 minutes to try to see if it would fit just made me realize how happy I am with the roof rack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast