mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Car rack for carbon bike -

Hi, I just got a carbon Vertex 29 RSL and don't know if I need to pay special attention to the car rack to hold it. Eg is a trunk rack that holds the top tube safe to use? Is a roof rack that captures the downtube with a mouth safe?
    I would guess the forces placed on the carbon tubes would be really small compared to the stress of riding. but I saw conflicting opinions on the net. Thanks for any info!
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

mtbr member
    My issue is not with the strength of carbon, but with the finish being marred/scratched when rack makes contact with frame.

IMO, if you care about your frame's finish, trunk rack should be used with care and caution. I usually wrap some kind of soft insulating cloth around the frame at the strap down points. But even then, marring sometimes occurs, especially if cables are sandwiched between.

mtbr member
    All Carbon bikes and they deserve a great rack:

Your Best Friend

Re: Car rack for carbon bike -

Yep, most any tray style rack will work. Don't use anything that clamps the frame in any way.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

I dd what you see there.
    I dunno. I have a "Swagman Deluxe" trunk mount carrier and it does a superb job. Mind you, I'm just carrying a normal triangular framed carbon cross bike, but still. The carrier has rubber cushions and straps so it flexes and stretches. Only issue I have with it is the fit on my new dodge charger because it has a spoiler.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member

Car rack for carbon bike -

Car rack for carbon bike --imageuploadedbytapatalk1364267944.145722.jpgCar rack for carbon bike --imageuploadedbytapatalk1364267965.652578.jpgCar rack for carbon bike --imageuploadedbytapatalk1364267986.756549.jpg

Installed a Torklift 2" hitch on my 2013 Outback and a Kuat NV rack.

Very happy with both!

Your Best Friend
    The Kuat NV is a very nice rack and works really well...until you put on the 2 bike add on. Then it is horrible. You have to move the first two trays much closer together and then all four bikes get in each others way. I think it is unacceptable to pay so much for a nice rack and then have to attach ad-hoc padding so your bikes don't rub each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The Kuat NV is a very nice rack and works really well...until you put on the 2 bike add on. Then it is horrible. You have to move the first two trays much closer together and then all four bikes get in each others way. I think it is unacceptable to pay so much for a nice rack and then have to attach ad-hoc padding so your bikes don't rub each other.
    I have a Kuat NV and I don't believe it's possible to move the existing trays closer together. I've thought about adding the two bike addition so I'm curious where you saw this information.
    Ride like you stole it!

2015 Camber Carbon Expert EVO
    2014 Camber Comp

mtbr member
    I've got the same problem as the OP. I'm considering using one of these adapters:
    Swagman Deluxe Bar Bike Adapter - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    But... my seatpost and handlebar are carbon. Anyone have experience with these?
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewadley View Post
    I have a Kuat NV and I don't believe it's possible to move the existing trays closer together. I've thought about adding the two bike addition so I'm curious where you saw this information.
    I didn't see this information, I've seen the actual rack and used it extensively. The add on bolts into the holes that your current end tray uses. You have to move the end tray inboard on the stinger which then causes the bikes to be MUCH closer together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I've got the same problem as the OP. I'm considering using one of these adapters:
    Swagman Deluxe Bar Bike Adapter - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    But... my seatpost and handlebar are carbon. Anyone have experience with these?
    I was wondering the same question. I have just Purchased my first Carbon frame (pivot mach 5.7 carbon) and my hitch rack holds by the top tube which on the new bike wont work. I can't seem to find any good info for the above mentioned bike adapter on a carbon seat post. not so worried about the stem. Also will I have to move the seat or will the bike hang to low. Just not sure about it and I dont wanna damage the seat post or frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    is it safe to carry carbon bike frame with Thule 591 Proride?without the frame being damage?

mtbr member
    So I have hit rack just like the one in the pics below and I use a frame adapter (also shown). The actual contact points are on the stem and bike seat. Will this be okay for a carbon frame mountain bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    is it safe to carry carbon bike frame with Thule 591 Proride?without the frame being damage?
    Wondering about this as well.

Edit, just saw the Yakima High Roller. Looks like a good option as it only attaches to the wheels. I already have a Thule rack, can I fit the Yakima on it? (square bars)
    Last edited by Swissam; 11-05-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    I use a Thule sidearm on the roof. That's perfectly fine for my Yeti ARC. The arm ratchets down on the fork/tire and the rear wheel is secured via a ratcheting strap so no part of the frame is being touched.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Wondering about this as well.

Edit, just saw the Yakima High Roller. Looks like a good option as it only attaches to the wheels. I already have a Thule rack, can I fit the Yakima on it? (square bars)
    I have both the Yakima High Roller and one of the first (if not THE first) of the 1UpUSA roof racks. 1UpUSA hands down is better and simpler.

J.