Thread: Bmw x5

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Bmw x5

What is the deal with these vehicles. They seem like a good used car value. Are they maintenance nightmares? Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Probably just typical BMW that get crazy expensive to repair after warranty.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    My brother had one and they are nice, but if it is out of warranty you'd better have deep pockets. BMW stands for Bring More Wallet... Our family has owned several 3, 5 and 7 series cars and all were good with just some minor issues here and there.
    IMHO, A CPO BMW is the way to go, as the first owner took the hit and the warranty of the CPO is as good as new and often for more miles too.
    Most SUV's have never seen more than a rain puddle in front of a nail salon , so they should have seen light duty driving... YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    BMW repair parts $ are actually quite reasonable in my experience, much less than VW and Mercedes. I have done much of my own work on the (3) 3-series that I have owned. They have been pretty reliable.

The I6 X5 will probably be much cheaper to maintain and more reliable than the V8..
    Nick

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was thinking used. You can find 6-7 year old units with 50-60 thousand miles on them around here for less then $20.000.

mtbr member
    Advice on buying a CPO = good advice. I'd not a get a late model BMW without one.
    I've owned quite a few BMWs, and loved each one dearly. The X5 is somewhat reliable... but the higher mileage, the more cost. The i6 engine is a workhorse.
    The trade-off for the higher costs is a great driving experience. The X5 is one of the best handling SUV's out there. Think of it this way, you can buy a $100 Walmart mountain bike, but it may not do what you want it to do. For a truly great bike, you will spend big money. Same can be said for great cars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    BMW repair parts $ are actually quite reasonable in my experience, much less than VW and Mercedes. I have done much of my own work on the (3) 3-series that I have owned. They have been pretty reliable.

The I6 X5 will probably be much cheaper to maintain and more reliable than the V8..
    Agree

I have had fantastic luck with BMW's (I'm on my third one). My current one is a 2006 535XI (awd wagon). The thing has been the cheapest car I've ever owned. It's got 160K miles on it, rides like it did the day I bought it new. The front brakes get replaced about every 85K miles, and I'm still on the rear ones at 160K (although there is *only* 5-10% pad left). It gets 24 mpg average, up to 28-30 on the highway. I believe it's got the same drive train as the X5 and X3 (but I could be mistaken).

My last BMW wagon was a 528 RWD. I traded that for this one for the AWD at 130K - same story.

Both of them had the leatherette interior that holds up like iron. It literally looks new 160K miles later. We do all sorts of cycling, skiing etc.. out of that car. It's one tough vehicle.
    The only thing I've had to do on my current one was replace the radiator at about 120K. That cost about $600. Brake jobs are the same as all my other cars, about $400 per axle for pads and rotors (but I never have to change them).

I don't go to the dealer but to a shop that has factory trained mechanics with all the factory tools. They do a great job and there isn't much difference in repairing one of these than the 2008 Subaru Impreza sport or the Volvo XC90 (now there is one expensive hangar queen of a car). Dealers run about 30-40% more and are comparable across all three of our cars.

Just a fantastic car that has fantastic handling in ice and snow and all around. A lot of fun to drive.

The reason there are good deals out there on X5's and X3s is that BMW really, really pushed them a few years ago on a lease program to make a name in the crossover/suv market. Good cars, I'm in the market right now for one for my wife used with about 25K or so on it. We'll be buying one in the next 30 days.

J.