mtbr member
    Dec 2011

bike rack for carbon frame

Hi I would like some advise on which one to get I have a 29 carbon frame and a 26 Alum frame wife bike.
    If possible a small or compact as it can be without compromising on safety.

Also is it better to get a 1.1/4 or 2`` vehicle hitch

Thanks!

Your Best Friend
    Get any rack that contacts your wheel only. It won't matter then what frame material you have or what size wheel you have. 1 1/4 is fine if you will only ever carry two bikes. If you think you might ever carry 4, go with the 2 inch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    1up usa folds up and doesn't take a lot of space.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Get any rack that contacts your wheel only. It won't matter then what frame material you have or what size wheel you have. 1 1/4 is fine if you will only ever carry two bikes. If you think you might ever carry 4, go with the 2 inch.
    Never get anything that attaches to the frame, especially with Carbon.

I second the suggestion to get a 1UpUSA rack which can work with either hitch size.

J.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Any modern tray-style hitch rack (not hanging rack) will work fine, in fact they are simply miles beyond those old "hanging" style racks that were popular 15 years ago. The 1up is a very nice one, but you don't have to spend that much for a tray-style hitch rack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I'd rather be on my bike
    The size hitch will depend on the vehicle. They are not interchangeable.

Your Best Friend
    Incorrect. They can be interchangeable and there are several adapters for different racks. Some work better than others. It has nothing to do with your vehicle. You can put any size receiver on your vehicle. My Subaru has a 2". I see a lot of Ford SUVs with 1 1/4. Granted, it can get expensive to swap them out. Better to start from scratch knowing exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    thanks guys, being new to all this hitch and bike rack thing dint know what style was the right one to get.
    I guess I will get a 2'' for the stiffness but not sure if they come in 2'' for outlander sport 2012.

I dont want to start a this one is better than that one fight but how you guys secure the frame, wheels on the 1upUSA just a regular cable lock? would a bad guy be able to remove the top of those levers that hold the wheels and take the bike or are all the bolts the special anti theft design?
    im also considering the
    Kuat NV
    yakima hold up 2
    Thule T2 916XTR

they seem to be close in price and to be durable also lifetime warranty.

I think I would lean more towards the most compact unit kind of hard to tell from the pics
    do they all weight about 50lbs?
    I might also just get the 1up single and get the add on it seem you loose some weight

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    thanks guys, being new to all this hitch and bike rack thing dint know what style was the right one to get.
    I guess I will get a 2'' for the stiffness but not sure if they come in 2'' for outlander sport 2012.

I dont want to start a this one is better than that one fight but how you guys secure the frame, wheels on the 1upUSA just a regular cable lock? would a bad guy be able to remove the top of those levers that hold the wheels and take the bike or are all the bolts the special anti theft design?
    im also considering the
    Kuat NV
    yakima hold up 2
    Thule T2 916XTR

they seem to be close in price and to be durable also lifetime warranty.

I think I would lean more towards the most compact unit kind of hard to tell from the pics
    do they all weight about 50lbs?
    I might also just get the 1up single and get the add on it seem you loose some weight
    Do not buy a rack based on it's anti-theft design.

Do not ever leave a bike in a rack while you go to eat, sleep in your hotel or do something else where it's out of sight for more than 2 minutes....that's a lot of time for some racks too, I know I can yank it out of some tray racks in less time and I could probably yank it off most roof-racks in less time.

It doesn't matter what anti-theft device it has, the bike thiefs do not care about your car or your bikes, if they can salvage something from ripping it off, they will, so they'll destroy whatever they need to get to your bike, and they'll often have large tools to do so. Lots of people on this website have found this out the hard way. If you want to add to the security for that 2-minute bathroom out-of-sight time, put a big chain/heavy cable around the receiver bar and the main frame. Otherwise, that's not going to slow em down long enough for more than a minute or two.

There are quite a few racks lighter than 50lbs now. The old T2 is kind of poor in this respect, so this is where the newer generation of tray-style hitch racks is moving forward and better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.