mtbr member

Best way to carry my bike

This is my first post, I'm normally more of a lurker ☺️

I I have the Yakima trunk carrier (3 bike size) and on my Altima coupe this worked great. I've now traded in my car for a 2014 Accord coupe, and I'm having issues. The paint is wearing on top of the trunk and I have a chip on the bumper. Since my car is only a little over 2 months old, I'm rather frustrated to already be having to get the paint worked on. I am fairly new to bikes, I bought a road bike in May, and a trek fuel about 3 wks ago. I'm not sure if the problem stems from the increased weight, frequency( I really really like the trails), or the different car (bought it late sept).

Either way, what are the recommendations for carrying my bike without hurting my car either? - Dianna

mtbr member

Use a hitch mounted rack.

mtbr member
    Any particular one?

mtbr member

I think that you will have to find one that meets your needs. The hitch mounted rack will keep everything off the actual body of the car.

Something like this...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Rogue Exterminator
    Best solution is a hitch and hitch rack the holds the bike from under the wheels like that Yakima. I Like the KŁat racks myself. There are also cheaper versions if money is an issue. For the accord, the biggest hic you will be able to get is 1.25" so get a rack that will fit that. Later if you get a truck, you can get an adapter that works for it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The hitch route is a good one if you can. We have a Saris Bones trunk rack that is decent. People will say that if you make sure the car stays clean the paint will be fine, but I like to take my bike to dirty places so I find it difficult to do.

My favorite route is to toss it into the trunk. Fold your seats down and remove the front wheel and pedals (maybe seat post depending on car/bike), and I bet it'll go right in. Once you get it down it's pretty quick.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    People will say that if you make sure the car stays clean the paint will be fine
    It won't. Even if you are anal about doing this, there is dust and particulates in the air that will still work there way in there and end up scratching the paint, not to mention the weight eventually warping parts of the trunk/bumper. That rack is a good tempo or "rarely used" solution, the best one of it's kind, but it still suffers from the inherent issues with that style of rack. I've owned one.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    This is florida, and I live a mile off the road, Im pretty sure there is no way to keep the sand off the car. (ive tried a lot of different products )

I tried fitting it in my trunk, but I don't know how to take the wheels off, although the road bike fits fine that way (i can take those off )

Guess Ill be getting a hitch and buying a new rack. (funny, Ive always been pretty happy with the rack I was born with )

As for buying a truck, I don't see that happening. I've driven them in the past, but the fuel is so much cheaper with the accord, I dont see going back to either the diesel or the V8. It's hard to justify that expense when Im not hauling trailers anymore.

mtbr member
    In googling hitch racks, I see several that carry the bike from the frame like my current one. will that hurt my paint too? or stick to the wheel supported racks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Re: Best way to carry my bike

Buy a rack that only touches the tires.

I really like my Saris rack. The bike is secured in seconds and I've done multiple hard pulls to 80+ mph with no issues. It also has a cable lock to secure 2 bikes and the pin has a lock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Also mine doesn't need to fold up and it doesn't stick out very far. The only downfall is that I can't access my truck with bike loaded on the inside. That's not a huge issue for me because I rarely take more than one bike.

Also I can't put the tailgate down on my tundra with it in any configuration.

mtbr member
    Okay, ordered the hitch for my car. as soon as it gets here I'll be hitting the LBS or a new rack thanks for all the responses!
    Dianna- occasional rider of bikes, frequent master of the superman pose.