Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

BEST tailgate pad?

Looking for some input on the BEST tailgate pad. There are a ton out there - Softride, Thule, Yakima, Dakine, Race Face, etc... They all seem to be good. The Race Face gets excellent reviews, but it's spendy. My biggest concerns are how securely does it attach to the tailgate and how securely do the straps on the pad hold the bike.

Again, I know they're all good - what's the BEST one.

mtbr member
    I don't know if there is such thing as a 'best.' I haven't looked at all of them, but I bet they're all about the same -- pretty simple concept, after all!

Since I pretty much just leave mine on all riding season, I like how my Dakine has a nice big flap to allow me to access the tailgate latch, and has a weird little kickstand-thing that should hold it open for a backup camera. I haven't tried it yet, as my last truck didn't have a camera. But my new one does, so we'll see if it works.

The Dakine also has tie-down straps for the bike, which I never use. I've been using a blanket or a pad for over 10 years, and the bike never moves.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Looks like the Dakine and the RF review the best and are about the same price. I'll probably go with the Dakine. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Except for the extra bit of padding at each spot, the Raceface it looks identical to the Dakine in the pictures.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    get the RaceFace tailgate pad. It's on sale for $109 free shipping from JensonUSA right now. I just picked one up and is definitely a quality material. Back side has a smooth felt like liner for paint protection.

Race Face Tailgate Pad - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Car Racks - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've been thinking about one and talked with a guy who had the Raceface pad at the trailhead parking on Sunday. The quality and detail design looked really good and he liked it a lot. He did add a piece of split pipe insulation over his tailgate for extra padding, this on 2nd gen Tacoma which doesn't have as thick a tailgate as some newer trucks. I occasionally use the Dakine on a friends truck and the straps seem a tad too short to t really secure Velcro overlap with my Tallboy frame downtube. I didn't really notice if the RF was better in that regard.

mtbr member
    Places that had the RF no longer seem to carry it and I notice some places have them with a 2 or II, is this a second generation?

Also anyone try the RF seat covers? not sure if the price is for a pair or sigle on those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can you use any of these pads without the straps? Meaning can I just throw it over the tailgate without strapping it down and quickly taking it off and on the truck like a carpet?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Can you use any of these pads without the straps? Meaning can I just throw it over the tailgate without strapping it down and quickly taking it off and on the truck like a carpet?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I'm currently in the market for a pad, So I don't currently have one. But from all the reviews I've read, As long as you put a bike on top, you are able to just toss the pad on without straps and go.I'm sure theres some risk of it flying away, but with the bike wedged there it lowers the risk.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by riding4life View Post
    I'm currently in the market for a pad, So I don't currently have one. But from all the reviews I've read, As long as you put a bike on top, you are able to just toss the pad on without straps and go.I'm sure theres some risk of it flying away, but with the bike wedged there it lowers the risk.
    Biggest issue in the few years I have used both a moving blanket and now a Dakine pad is if you care about the finish on your tailgate, as well as bottom portion of your frame where it meets the pad/blanket is to keep it clean.

One note of caution I don't see mentioned a lot with this transport system:
    Dust/dirt WILL AND DOES act as an abrasive. One of my bikes looks like it literally sat on a piece of 600 grit sand paper and is worn all the way down to pure aluminum. If I had a $6000K + carbon bike I would be pretty upset. I was able to buff my tailgate with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. One of my wheels rubbed a bare spot on the bumper which I was not able to buff out though, luckily I have a beater truck and not a new $50K rig.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Putting this here too in case someone does a search...

Caution:

If you use a Raceface tailgate mat on a pickup with a wider than usual tailgate, there is a "padding gap" where the top pad and side pad meets. This leaves a hinged section with no padding right where your frame sits. The result is a lot of harsh rubbing on the frame. I have had the stickers removed from 2 matte finish bikes now. The glossy painted bikes where the loge/name is under paint doesn't have an issue. This could also be problematic on very bumpy roads and could possibly lead to frame damage if you drive like a maniac.

2016 Canyon has a rather wide tailgate. The Ford 150 is even wider.
    BEST tailgate pad?-7232016125151.jpgBEST tailgate pad?-723201612468.jpg

mtbr member
    Dakine totally fade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thats why the "best tailgate pad" isn't a pad. Its the MultiTaskR Truck bed Rack System.

I had the exact same thing happen to my bike as JCWages had, so I designed this rack to carry bikes with a patent pending collet type system that mounts inside the steerer tube, so there is no contact of bike to truck(other than the rear wheel) and no damage to the tailgate from an abrasive pad. The MultiTaskR also is designed to haul just about anything that you normally carry in your truck, such as kayaks, SUPs, surfboards, lumber, ladders, etc, no rope or tie downs needed. There is also a lockable option for everything above.
    Several other accessories on on the drawing board. The MultiTaskR will be in production soon.
    Several mounting options will be available, some that mount into existing mounts in your truck bed. The MultiTaskR will fit on any truck.
    Home
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BEST tailgate pad?-img_0292.jpg  

BEST tailgate pad?-img_0065.jpg  

BEST tailgate pad?-img_0220.jpg  

BEST tailgate pad?-img_0691.jpg  

BEST tailgate pad?-img_0210.jpg  

Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 08-23-2016 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this . . . . . I just started looking for a pad for a '16 F-150. I can hardly believe how wide the tailgate is (it's been a while since i've had a newer truck). Anyone else have a pad that better fits one of the wide tailgates? I was thinking of just getting some pipe insulation to put on the bikes downtube for trips if nothing else comes up.

[QUOTE=JCWages;12795152]Putting this here too in case someone does a search...

Caution:

If you use a Raceface tailgate mat on a pickup with a wider than usual tailgate, there is a "padding gap" where the top pad and side pad meets. This leaves a hinged section with no padding right where your frame sits. The result is a lot of harsh rubbing on the frame. I have had the stickers removed from 2 matte finish bikes now. The glossy painted bikes where the loge/name is under paint doesn't have an issue. This could also be problematic on very bumpy roads and could possibly lead to frame damage if you drive like a maniac.

2016 Canyon has a rather wide tailgate. The Ford 150 is even wider.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a new 2016 F150 and order a small Raceface pad. There's a good review video on YouTube explaining why to go with the small and etc. I usually drive 20 - 40 miles round trip to the trails. I've also driven it with the velcro straps on and without. The bike did not move at all on paved road. Any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

mtbr member
    rt4x4 - thanks for the reply! I think I found the video you referenced - basically saying the small size has more pads than the large one. Any concerns with how much padding is underneath your downtube?

Quote Originally Posted by rt4x4 View Post
    I have a new 2016 F150 and order a small Raceface pad. There's a good review video on YouTube explaining why to go with the small and etc. I usually drive 20 - 40 miles round trip to the trails. I've also driven it with the velcro straps on and without. The bike did not move at all on paved road. Any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Jammin' Econo
    The Race Face pad is the best I've used so far.

The Yakima pad I had before it was falling apart in less than one season, and I did nothing to abuse it.

Tailgate pads are super handy for shorter drives to the local trailhead, but I don't like carrying my bikes that way on long stretches of highway, etc.

Any pad will cause some abrasion on the downtube. If you care about that, wipe off the downtube before placing the bike on the pad, and use a piece of frame saver tape where the downtube touches the pad.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Awesome feedback. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it was more than the abrasion you get from dirt. The lack of padding actually made indents in the plastic of the tailgate. Thats how hard the frames rub. I fixed the issue by adding pipe insulation to the affected area. This only works well if you leave your pad on 24/7 like I do.
    BEST tailgate pad?-7232016205821.jpg
    BEST tailgate pad?-7232016205755.jpg

RaceFace and Auburn Bike Company were great and took care of my deterioration issues. They sent me a new updated pad. Due to the shape of my tailgate and location of my backup camera I still need to use the foam insulation to protect the bike frames but it's worth it for the other cool features of the pad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    JCWages, I have a new Tacoma with a thick and curved tailgate, though maybe not as thick as a new Ford. I'm OK with adding foam, but were you able to adjust the location of the pad over the top of the tailgate, so the backup camera is functional if you keep the flap open? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    JCWages, I have a new Tacoma with a thick and curved tailgate, though maybe not as thick as a new Ford. I'm OK with adding foam, but were you able to adjust the location of the pad over the top of the tailgate, so the backup camera is functional if you keep the flap open? Thanks.
    Totally! I love my camera and wouldn't bother with a pad if it covered the camera up. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. I'll take a look at the Tacoma and see where the camera is located in relation to the Canyon.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I reviewed the Evoc Tailgate Pad. Very well done but a little pricey.

EVOC Tailgate Pad review - Mtbr.com

BEST tailgate pad?-img_4307.jpg

Now I'm using the Fox Racing Shox Tailgate pad. I didn't even know they made one!! It is awesome and even better than the Evoc. Review to come soon!!

FOX Truck Pad ? FOX Factory

BEST tailgate pad?-img_5172.jpg

BEST tailgate pad?-pb110044.jpg

BEST tailgate pad?-pb110045.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Hey FC - looks like that fox pad has a good bit of padding beneath the bike's down tube and the tailgate - fair bit more than the evoc? Also what truck is that on? Thanks!!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Hey FC - looks like that fox pad has a good bit of padding beneath the bike's down tube and the tailgate - fair bit more than the evoc? Also what truck is that on? Thanks!!

Yeah, a lot more padding on the Fox. It is rounded too so there is no edge or unpadded part on top. Straps are in the perfect spot as well to loop around the down tube.

The truck is a 2006 Tacoma.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yeah, a lot more padding on the Fox. It is rounded too so there is no edge or unpadded part on top. Straps are in the perfect spot as well to loop around the down tube.

The truck is a 2006 Tacoma.
    Thanks for that info FC. Putting in an order w Arts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    @fc can you prop open the tailgate latch flap to use the backup camera? Also, what's that flap or pocket on the inside?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    @fc can you prop open the tailgate latch flap to use the backup camera? Also, what's that flap or pocket on the inside?
    I don't think you can prop open the latch pad. It's big and thick.

The pocket inside is a little handy storage bag.
    IPA will save America

Here is what it looks like with the flap turn inside so you can use the backup camera on 2015-2017 Colorado/Canyon. Given the shape of my tailgate, the pad doesn't lie perfectly flat against it but it's not super noticeable or I just don't care.
    BEST tailgate pad?-102020167253.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Here is what it looks like with the flap turn inside so you can use the backup camera on 2015-2017 Colorado/Canyon. Given the shape of my tailgate, the pad doesn't lie perfectly flat against it but it's not super noticeable or I just don't care.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102020167253.jpg 
Views:	1257 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	1106285
    Thanks for the picture! One last question, what is the distance down from the top of the tailgate to the camera lens on the Colo/Canyon? Then I can compare it to my 2016 Taco ... I'm sure it can be adjusted a bit, but the alignment on yours looks perfect for both the camera and the fork pads, which seems nice. The thickness of our tailgates looks similar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What are folks using on the 15+ F150 with its bulging tailgate style? I'm in the market for a pad, and just can't figure out which is functional given the bulge and the backup cam: Da Kine, Fox, EVOC, One Subject, Race Face, Yakima, Thule....

EVOC is at the top of my list currently. Looks the nicest with the best overall reviews. I'm open to supportive/dissenting opinion though!
    **I don't subscribe to threads. Just PM me if you have a question/comment for me. **

mtbr member

BEST tailgate pad?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    What are folks using on the 15+ F150 with its bulging tailgate style? I'm in the market for a pad, and just can't figure out which is functional given the bulge and the backup cam: Da Kine, Fox, EVOC, One Subject, Race Face, Yakima, Thule....

EVOC is at the top of my list currently. Looks the nicest with the best overall reviews. I'm open to supportive/dissenting opinion though!
    I just received the fox pad referenced above (FC ). Looks good but haven't used it yet. It's one continuous piece of padding which seems like a good fit. For reference I'm putting it on a '16 f150. I'll hopefully get to use it later this week. Might still end up using a cut pool noodle for longer drives.

Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    I just received the fox pad referenced above (FC ). Looks good but haven't used it yet. It's one continuous piece of padding which seems like a good fit. For reference I'm putting it on a '16 f150. I'll hopefully get to use it later this week. Might still end up using a cut pool noodle for longer drives.

Sweet! Please report back with fitment pics. Hoping to have recommendations for other truck owners.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks a ton for reporting back those pics. Definitely I personally wouldn't be happy with that pad. Stupid tailgate bulge.
    **I don't subscribe to threads. Just PM me if you have a question/comment for me. **

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    Thanks a ton for reporting back those pics. Definitely I personally wouldn't be happy with that pad. Stupid tailgate bulge.
    No prob. Keep in mind though I hooked it up at midnight hahaha. Not sure if the bulge will be straightened out or not but there is a nice bit of padding throughout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What pad are people using with the 09 - 14 F150s? Any that have an opening for the tailgate camera that is mounted in the ford emblem?

mtbr member
    Has anyone ever had the tailgate pad stolen from their truck? Thinking of getting one but worried it'll get stolen. Any sort of theft prevention tips?

United States
    Aug 2009
    Did you do a review on the Fox Factory Pad yet? I just bought a 2010 Tacoma and looking for a tailgate pad to replace my 1UpUSA Rack.

BEST tailgate pad?-17861484_10100213047203990_6183798541936638255_n.jpg

United States
    Aug 2009
    Does anyone have more pictures of the Fox factory one installed? There's like no reviews or info on them?

mtbr member
    Just wanted to thank everyone. I opted for the raceface pad. The only thing I wish is I got the small one. But I really like this one too.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

United States
    Aug 2009
    After a month of research I finally ended up choosing the Fox Factory Tailgate Pad. This one had the most padding with straps for the downtube, and I get extra scene points because it matches both of my bikes suspension lol.

I quickly noticed after one day using the pad, the bike will still slide back and forth a tiny bit, even with the strap holding the downtube. You could see some scuffing on the downtube already. Coming from using a bike rack where the bikes didnt move at all, this was a little alarming. Not giving up on it quite yet though, I found some rubber tubing at work that I slit down the middle and stuck to the bottom of the downtube. I have not driven anywhere yet with it, but it seems like the rubber tubing helps grip the pad and should prevent it from sliding and protect the frame. I also plan on putting some clear protective film on the downtube as well to prevent this.
    Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that uses one. Even if the bikes seem like they are not moving, look at your downtube and make sure they arent getting scratched. I probably wont care about the downhill bike as much, but the fancy plastic bike needs to stay nice!

Also wanted to add that I'm liking having a truck so far, and I cant wait to actually take it on its first trip. Its pretty convenient to throw all the trail building tools in the bed instead of my car and hitting my elbow on them every shift haha. We just made the berm in the bottom pic the other night, thing is massive! All dirt, no filler!

BEST tailgate pad?-20170419_183629.jpg

BEST tailgate pad?-20170419_181803.jpg

BEST tailgate pad?-img_20170416_074344_602.jpg

BEST tailgate pad?-20170418_195146.jpg

mtbr member
    EBay helicopter tap.

United States
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by David_315 View Post
    EBay helicopter tap.

Yeah I bought 3M protective film that goes on cars, should work for bikes too.

mtbr member
    I was able to get all the black off with water. But it is just a matter of time.

i like rocks
    I suppose "best" pad will have a lot to do with how it fits on your personal truck, tailgate sizes and pads very quite a bit.

For my application, i have the large size yakima on the tailgate of my 99 F350 and it fits really well. mine see's a lot of hard use, at minimum carrying my bike at least once a week during the summer up to Trestle bike park. This includes driving up clear creek, up i70 and over berthoud pass, so lots of twisty curves and high speed. In my "street" tune the truck makes well over 500hp and i drive the pass very aggressively. despite not having any sort of bike attachment system, bikes stay secure and i have no problem with them moving around excessively and generally forget they are there as soon as i depart. except to look longingly in the rearview mirror and think "oh gosh, i love my bike".

I personally wouldn't want any kind of straps or anything on a pad, this would just be a pain and effect how many bikes can be loaded. I think on our latest trip we stacked up to 8 bikes on the tailgate while shuttling.

the pad has held up really well to about 3 years of abuse so far. i'd buy another yakima pad if needed, but i expect this one will last many many years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BEST tailgate pad?-bikentruck.jpg  

Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

United States
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    I suppose "best" pad will have a lot to do with how it fits on your personal truck, tailgate sizes and pads very quite a bit.

For my application, i have the large size yakima on the tailgate of my 99 F350 and it fits really well. mine see's a lot of hard use, at minimum carrying my bike at least once a week during the summer up to Trestle bike park. This includes driving up clear creek, up i70 and over berthoud pass, so lots of twisty curves and high speed. In my "street" tune the truck makes well over 500hp and i drive the pass very aggressively. despite not having any sort of bike attachment system, bikes stay secure and i have no problem with them moving around excessively and generally forget they are there as soon as i depart. except to look longingly in the rearview mirror and think "oh gosh, i love my bike".

I personally wouldn't want any kind of straps or anything on a pad, this would just be a pain and effect how many bikes can be loaded. I think on our latest trip we stacked up to 8 bikes on the tailgate while shuttling.

the pad has held up really well to about 3 years of abuse so far. i'd buy another yakima pad if needed, but i expect this one will last many many years.
    I never said the bikes moved excessively with the Fox Pad, the bikes moves slides 1/4" back and forth with turns which in turn rubs the downtube. This was also only with 1 lightweight AM bike. You would assume the additional bikes will hold them all in place better.

Im sure if you look at your downtube, you will see scuffs. Especially on that sick, shiny Evil!

i like rocks
    Sorry I wasn't really directly responding to you, just adding additional feedback on the topic of "best" pad and my experience with the yak on my F350.

Yeah i'm sure the bikes might shift a minor amount, I suppose if that bugs you it would be best to avoid the tailgate, add some clear frame protection or instead go with some type of upright rack that only touches the tires.

I fundamentally don't care that much about a little scratching on the downtube, its a mountain bike, i ride the crap out of it, they get scratched up and banged up a million different ways and the only way i found to keep them pristine is to leave them in the basement. That first scratch always hurts a little bit, after that lets just call them well earned battle scars.

we had a bunch of nice bikes on that trip, i'm sure they took some nicks getting tossed in the truck, but nobody complained!
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

United States
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    Sorry I wasn't really directly responding to you, just adding additional feedback on the topic of "best" pad and my experience with the yak on my F350.

Yeah i'm sure the bikes might shift a minor amount, I suppose if that bugs you it would be best to avoid the tailgate, add some clear frame protection or instead go with some type of upright rack that only touches the tires.

I fundamentally don't care that much about a little scratching on the downtube, its a mountain bike, i ride the crap out of it, they get scratched up and banged up a million different ways and the only way i found to keep them pristine is to leave them in the basement. That first scratch always hurts a little bit, after that lets just call them well earned battle scars.

we had a bunch of nice bikes on that trip, i'm sure they took some nicks getting tossed in the truck, but nobody complained!
    I'm just going to assume you really did not even read my original post.

I literally mentioned everything you said. I have a 1UP USA rack that was on my car that I used until I had the tailgate pad. It seems silly to have the rack and nothing in the bed. Its a carbon frame and I found a way to prevent it from getting scratched by the tailgate pad.

You're original post said they dont move at all, and I just wanted to clarify that the bikes do move and if people care about their bikes and want to prevent scratches on their carbon frames then they should do what I suggested.

i like rocks
    okay then, to clarify:

bikes do not move enough to be readily noticeable or prevent security concerns, even with aggressive driving.

bikes may move enough to cause minor scratches.

If your concerned about this measures should be taken; including but not limited to methods described by dmarsh15, use of a different racking system, taking up road biking, leaving bike in basement, etc.

no I didn't read your original post, I read the OP's post and added my feedback relevant to the topic on my opinion regarding the "best" tailgate pad.

The yakima may not be the "best" pad for your application.... but hopefully I've described my application and why I've found it to work really well.

For the record, "minor scratches on downtube" wasn't really part of my criteria. i'm sure my downtube is scratched, i'll have to look when i get home. i'll have to wash off dirt from Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa and Michigan to see if there are. really i've just been too busy riding it to worry.

to expand way further than necessary, these would be my primary criteria:

Pad fits the tailgate really really well. Ford F250 and F350 Superduty's, model years 1999-2010 should all be the same and fit just as well.

Bikes are very secure. You can drive like a total freekin maniac with a very fast truck on very tight mountain roads and you don't have to worry about your bike falling off or banging around, even with just one bike aboard. The pad seams to be soft enough that the bike kind of squishes in place and stays put. see clarification above.

Holds lots of bike. by not having any sort of foam blocks or velcro straps, you can easily micro-adjust the position of bikes and with some care fit 6-7 bikes pretty easy and 8-9 depending on the bikes.

no damage to truck. I don't really worry about it too much, but after years of using the pad and sometimes stacking craploads of bikes, no damage, including the paint on the tailgate under the pad has been damaged.

aesthetics. plain black with red yakima logo looks good with white and black truck.

no damage to pad. its been going about 3 years i think, maybe 4, the pad still looks pretty much new. the red yakima logo paint has faded a bit. The pad not only hold up to bikes, but also successfully held up and served good protection against LOTS of steel and aluminum stock lengths, lumber, plumbing, loading and unloading dirt and gravel, bumped it with a goosneck pretty hard once, canoes, kayaks, ladders, various other abuse.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

United States
    Aug 2009
    Cool story bro...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I noticed my front wheel spokes are bouncing off the bumper using the tailgate method. Hopefully this doesn't hurt anything too much. This is on a '97 Taco.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102020167253.jpg 
Views:	1257 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	1106285
    Thanks for this post. I just bought a 2017 Canyon.

i like rocks
    use spray adhesive to mount these on your downtube and prevent scratches!
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I use a yoga/exercise mat on my '14 Tacoma. No problem, no scratches, and stays secure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Great Post. I just got a 2017 Tacoma off road 4x4, and a want to put my new carbon Niner, as well as an occasional aluminum bike or 2. Would the Race Face be a good option to help give me the best protection all around? Really would prefer no scratches nor marks on either.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking so. At least that's what I will be buying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Got mine up and running. It does what I wanted it to. Can't use back up camera on 2017 Tacoma with Race Face medium, but that's ok as I won't often carry bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremendo View Post

Got mine up and running. It does what I wanted it to. Can't use back up camera on 2017 Tacoma with Race Face medium, but that's ok as I won't often carry bikes.
    Roll the pad back down toward the license plate. It's not how the pad is supposed to be used but it will work and allow the use of the backup camera. It's pretty easy to shift back and forth depending on your need of the camera.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Roll the pad back down toward the license plate. It's not how the pad is supposed to be used but it will work and allow the use of the backup camera. It's pretty easy to shift back and forth depending on your need of the camera.
    Appreciate the idea. That's how I had it originally, but it didn't allow me to strap in my bike well. I saw many pics online and most people use it the way you say, but for my bike I rolled it back to hold my carbon bike better.

Gotcha! The straps are harder to use with the pad my way. I stopped using them last year sometime. I got lazy. Haha

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the race face pad and when i put my bike on it, the fork s tanchions are sitting against the pad. For short 20 minute drives in not super worried about it. Long drives i worry its going to rub through the stanchion.

Does anyone else with the RF pad have their stanchions up against the pad?

Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    I have the race face pad and when i put my bike on it, the fork s tanchions are sitting against the pad. For short 20 minute drives in not super worried about it. Long drives i worry its going to rub through the stanchion.

Does anyone else with the RF pad have their stanchions up against the pad?
    They touch but I have not noticed any rubbing. I've made 3 1,000+ mile trips and countless 50+ miles trips and have not experienced any problems. I'm very anal about my bike paint too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone have any ideas where the Fox Factory truck pad is in stock (54")? I can't locate one anywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Anyone have a new Honda Ridgeline and use a tailgate pad?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For you guys using the RF pad, it seems one thing that sets that pad apart is the bumper pads designed to keep the bikes from shifting left-right. Is it actually helpful? Seems like a nice feature, if it's actually necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by David_315 View Post
    Just wanted to thank everyone. I opted for the raceface pad. The only thing I wish is I got the small one. But I really like this one too. Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Why? I've got a 2012 F150, and was thinking the large would compensate for the thicker tailgate? I guess that's the benefit of the FOX, there are no "joints" in the padding to line up.

mtbr member
    I got the RF pad on my 2017 Taco, fit is pretty good, I did notice though on bikes with thin frames that bikes tend to wobble, both of my bikes are carbon and have thicker frames and with the provided Velcro strap bike seem secure, my buddies niner RLT would not stay upright and would keep tipping to the side, I ended up putting it next to my bike and tying them together.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon