The Mud Stud

Best Roof Rack for Aero Crossbars?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a bike rack that will fit on my oem aero crossbars. This will be going on a 12-13 Subaru Impreza. So far I've looked at the Yakima Frontloader, Highroller, Forklift and Raptor Aero. I want to keep it at 150 or under, though I can push farther up a bit. Really though what I need is a bike rack that is secure and preferably does not contact the frame, (though it can if its well made). I've had a lot of experiences with bike racks (including Saris) rubbing off the bike finish, and I'd rather avoid that in the future. Do you guys have any recommendations?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a Yakima Highroller on my Subaru XV Crosstrek (same as Impreza). I purchased the Yakima mighty mounts and it fits perfectly. It grabs the front wheel so it has no contact with anything but the wheel. I tested it with a 1500 mile drive and it was great. Here is a pic with my Stumpy FSR:

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yakima Frontloader and Forklift are design to workk with virtually any OEM crossbar and dont require adaptor such as the Might Mounts.

Personnaly i prefer fork mounted rack ( better aerodynamic and look cooler ) but you have to store the removed wheel somewhere. If you prefer to leave your bike in 1 piece the frontloader is also a good rack.

mtbr member
    I love my ROCKY MOUNT TIE ROD, cost me $119 and another $10 for lock cores. It will fit any factory crossbar made. It has a very beefy skewer and as previosly noted, it locks. You can actually order them in many different colors. They are SWEET

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 for the rockymount Tie Rod. I bought mine at REI so I paid $120 for it after using my 20% off coupon. I'll be buying another one soon! I had to get an adapter for my through-axel fork, but other than that it holds it super solid - and like rsb201 said, they come in some pretty cool colors!