Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

best hitch rack?

I have a cannondale flash 29er. I have search and read so much I cant make sense of any of it! Which one is the best? what should I look for? I am not worried about cost ($400 vs 100).

thanks in advance - amazon has too many choices and a bunch are 79-100. I cant make sense of it.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member

1up quick rack

check out the 1up quick rack review thread a couple of posts down from yours it is supposed to be the best rack you can get. i just ordered mine and am waiting for it to arrive. goodluck
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    After my experience with the Thule T2, Kuat Sherpa, and now the 1UP, my favorite by far is the 1UP. Just ordered my +1 add-on for it.

Free replacement if it's stolen off the hitch, free shipping to and from, lifetime warranty, and 100% refund if not satisfied. What more can you ask for? Oh yeah, 100% made in USA. =D
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm very happy with my Thule t2. My only complaint is it's a little heavy and the rack only comes with 3 lock cores. You need 5 cores for everything. There are some good review and comparison videos on YouTube.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    don't buy from amazon. support your LBS.

that being said, i went with the kuat nv2. solid as hell, and customer service is top notch.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like my Kuat NV. Only rack I have owned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    well, there's a 34 page thread about 1up racks virtually without complaint...
    whatever...

ballbuster

This comes up once a week

Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I have a cannondale flash 29er. I have search and read so much I cant make sense of any of it! Which one is the best? what should I look for? I am not worried about cost ($400 vs 100).

thanks in advance - amazon has too many choices and a bunch are 79-100. I cant make sense of it.
    Short answer: 1UpUSA QuickRack

1upusa.com :: Home

Crazy easy to use, made of all aluminum and rustproof (unlike the Thule racks), lightweight, folds down small enough to fit in the trunk.

They have no keyed locks, but the locks built into racks are garbage anyway. They can be defeated with a big screwdriver and a set of vise grips in one big twist. Use a big Kryptonite chain and a good disc lock, or U-lock and attach the other end to your trailer hitch.

jrm
    mtbr member

Damn sleep much?

pimp
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Love my Thule T2!! I also have 3 Thule fork mounts on the top of my truck and love them too!! The T2 is not light but well worth it in sturdiness. You need a place to store it when not being used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'll add one for the 1-up, mine is awesome. Have owned others, this will be the last.

mtbr member
    sounds like you don't mind much about cost so the 1up might be the one for you. for anyone who doesn't want to break the bank, i have no idea why someone wouldn't go for the xport tray style rack: XPORT Flatbed 2-Bike Hitch Rack - Hitch Mount

no issues whatsoever for me and i've had it for a couple years.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    i still think north shore racks is far and away the most versatile and best rack out there as far as hitch mount go. you can access the trunk or gate. they can carry odd frames. great construction and can carry up to six bikes depending on model

North Shore Bike Racks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

best investment going for a rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    North Shore's are great racks, but they are definitely not versatile. No road bikes and can be hard for smaller folks to lift heavy bikes high enough to load, especially on lifted trucks and SUVs. For access and ease of use for riders of all bikes and person-sizes, it's hard to beat platform racks. I am definitely biased, but of the platform racks (if price isn't an issue), I am amazed that anyone would use anything other than the 1up. It only loses to the Kuat on looks and that's subjective (personally, I like the looks of the Kuat more-are you listening, 1up?).

If price is an issue, than the Xport is the best deal going, hands down. I have been impressed with the ones I've used.

mtbr member
    Kuat nv hands down second choice the Thule t2 and whatever you do stay away from saris I had a cycleon pro for a week before I returned it for my kuat nv which is so superior then any other Thule is the only company that can come close

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Another 1Up user here. It has been a year now and no issues. It is stupid simple to use, holds the bike like a clam and zero corrosion. Made in the USA too!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    I have a kuat NV and Yakima Hold Up 2. Both are great racks. The NV is better looking and has the built in repair stand plus its a little lighter but the Hold Up folds up slightly smaller and is a bit cheaper. T2s seem to work well but are rust prone. The 1 Up seems to work great based on all the positive reviews and is compact but is fugly IMHO and looks like its made of meccano.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I have a kuat NV and Yakima Hold Up 2. Both are great racks. The NV is better looking and has the built in repair stand plus its a little lighter but the Hold Up folds up slightly smaller and is a bit cheaper. T2s seem to work well but are rust prone. The 1 Up seems to work great based on all the positive reviews and is compact but is fugly IMHO and looks like its made of meccano.
    IMO the 1UP looks very slick...nothing flashy on it that will weather.

On my Kuat Sherpa, the pretty gold anodize faded within the year and the nice Kuat sticker started peeling. The biggest difference is that I can preload the hinge so it doesn't make ANY noise at all while in the stored position...the Kuat Sherpa has no preload and it has quite a bit of play at the hinge.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    best hitch rack?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1334331088.646372.jpgKuat NV is an outstanding rack, great looks, great customer service. I bought one used and the repair stand was broken, I emailed the company and had a new one in a week, no complaints
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    If mountain bikes only, North Shore Rack.
    If you need for all sorts of bikes, KŁat NV or Sherpa.
    I've owned both NSR and KŁat NV and each has been great. Slight edge to NSR due to my needs (4 bike & fat bike use).
    KŁat's build quality is second to none.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yakima Hold-up. works like a charm. easy to use and very secure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I bought the Sportrack, 2 bike carrier off Amazon for like $150. It fits my needs really well and (more importantly) fits my Jeep with an oversized spare tire...

I do not leave my bike unattended on the rack, though. If I did for any amount of time I would have looked for something a little more secure as far as available locking locations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmto View Post
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

best investment going for a rack.
    This x 100

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've been happy with my T2 over the last 3 years. No issues. I wouldn't mind having something that's lighter and easier to move/store but it doesn't bother me enough to justify buying a different rack right now.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast