Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Discount ramps 3 bike rack. Used two-three times a week, holds 3 bikes no issues. Tilts down for opening the hatch and folds up for when not in use. Very sturdy. Stays on the car finish is decent hasn't rusted one bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    To the 1up owners: someone earlier posted that the arms can fit most bike wheel sizes. I assume 26er, 29er, and road bikes all work easily. Has anyone tried a 20" wheel bike? Does the arm hold that no problem or does it need to be modified? It looks like the rod at the far end of the arm that contacts the wheel could be moved down to different holes - does that need to be done to make it work for a 20" bike? If so, does that need to be done to adjust between 26er and 29er bikes as well, or does the far setting work for both?

Thanks
    You have to move the rod, but yes we carry 29 - 20" all the time.

--------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    heres a Kuat NV after a rear end collision, fwiw
    rack took the majority of the impact from a Toyota Tundra
    should email that to Kuat and maybe they'll comp you a new one

poor honda
    2012 Trek Fuel EX8 - Matte Black

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You guys in the states seem lucky enough to not have to relocate or mount a license/number plate to your bike racks?
    Here in South Australia and most likely the rest of Australia, I have had to just buy a smaller license/number plate to mount on a new rack and if any night time driving with rack on must have a light for the plate.
    Our local establishment love to fine you for obscuring/blocking the plates, sometimes even if you have just the hitch with towball on it blocks the view on some cars and therefore they can't ping you on the speed camera's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't see a title "best hitch rack?" and not take the time to repeat 1 Up.

A nice light solution if you can't afford the 1 Up is the Saris Freedom.

Both are made in S. WI.

I came from a truck-based SUV to car and the lighter weight both offer are really nice.

I think it's hard to appreciate the 1 Up without working with it.

mtbr member
    I've had a Kuat NV for a full season now, and have used it a bunch.

I think it's a great rack in 2-bike mode, but signifigantly less so with the 4-bike add on. When you install the 4-bike extension, you have to re-assemble it with all of the bike trays closer to each other and it causes annoying issues, with bikes making contact with each other. Also, with the extension on there, it's pretty hard to reach the release lever to flip the rack up, and still be in a position where you can actually support the thing (my wife's not strong enough to do it alone).

Finally, I like the tire grabber things better on Thule racks - it seems like because the Kuat ones can swing freely, I'm more likely to have one pull away from a bike tire and lose a bike. But fortunately, that hasn't happened.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    JWesty or any others has anyone every been pulled over for having so many bikes or arranged in a fashion that others cannot clearly see your brake lights?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I can't see a title "best hitch rack?" and not take the time to repeat 1 Up.

A nice light solution if you can't afford the 1 Up is the Saris Freedom.

Both are made in S. WI.

I came from a truck-based SUV to car and the lighter weight both offer are really nice.

I think it's hard to appreciate the 1 Up without working with it.
    did the makers of the 1up originally working for Saris and then broke off to form their own company?
    2012 Trek Fuel EX8 - Matte Black

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
    did the makers of the 1up originally working for Saris and then broke off to form their own company?
    No.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    JWesty or any others has anyone every been pulled over for having so many bikes or arranged in a fashion that others cannot clearly see your brake lights?
    Not yet

But I made a harness with velcro'ed on flush -mount LED taillights for safety.

--------------

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Not yet

But I made a harness with velcro'ed on flush -mount LED taillights for safety.[/IMG]
    Nice! Where did you get the tailights? Do you remember which ones they are?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Nice! Where did you get the tailights? Do you remember which ones they are?
    Got them at the local auto parts store... cheaper than online.

Optronics is the brand I picked... I'm sure there are others.

Optronics, INC.
    --------------

mtbr member
    Sweet - thanks for the info! Will likely go that route when I eventually get a hitch rack.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Good job!

Not yet

Smart move!! Too many peeps driving without lights when the weather is bad as is already!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    J Westy, can we get a side view of your setup? I'm trying to decide between the Kuat and 1UP. Did not see on the 1UP site that you can stack what looks like four in your picture.

Thanks,
    HEEP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HEEP View Post
    J Westy, can we get a side view of your setup? I'm trying to decide between the Kuat and 1UP. Did not see on the 1UP site that you can stack what looks like four in your picture.

Thanks,
    HEEP
    Seriously? There is a great side view just a few posts up...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Seriously? There is a great side view just a few posts up...
    Sorry, for some reason it was only showing the rear view. I see it now.

Thanks,
    HEEP

mtbr member
    Go with the 1 up. I've owned saris cycle pro, Thule t2, kuat nv, and 1 up. Hands down 1 up then 2nd is kuat then 3rd is Thule and I wouldn't recomend saris at all a complete pos. I never owned a Yakima but that's because I have seen them and they look like crap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    I've had a Kuat NV for a full season now, and have used it a bunch.

I think it's a great rack in 2-bike mode, but signifigantly less so with the 4-bike add on. I think this is true with ANY 4-bike rack, not just the Kuat. When you install the 4-bike extension, you have to re-assemble it with all of the bike trays closer to each other and it causes annoying issues, with bikes making contact with each other. Also, with the extension on there, it's pretty hard to reach the release lever to flip the rack up, and still be in a position where you can actually support the thing (my wife's not strong enough to do it alone).

Finally, I like the tire grabber things better on Thule racks - it seems like because the Kuat ones can swing freely, I'm more likely to have one pull away from a bike tire and lose a bike. Not sure you're clamping correctly then. The clamp must go all the way over the tire! But fortunately, that hasn't happened.
    There's a video on the Kuat site that's pretty helpful.

mtbr member
    Not yet

That's MERICUN ingenuity for ya! Thanks for the post

Wrecker service use these and I wondered in the past about doing something like this but never did. Now you gave me inspiration.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    1up > everything else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a Yakima holdup and within a few months, the front pivot arm started to get hard to move. So I called them and they sent me a new rack. No proof of anything and didn't want the old one back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zackg View Post
    I have a Yakima holdup and within a few months, the front pivot arm started to get hard to move. So I called them and they sent me a new rack. No proof of anything and didn't want the old one back.
    If they would have designed it properly in the beginning then it would not have failed but being so easy to get replaced also shows me that they expect them to fail. But that's just my ass backwards logic

mtbr member
    Loving my ISI advanced rack 4x4
    best hitch rack?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350808112.964886.jpg
    Also folds down
    best hitch rack?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350808142.849260.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just ordered a Raxter stinger. After reading almost every post and review on here amd other sites on hitch racks it seemed like the best deal by far. I almost went with the 1up, but reviews are almost identical and the Raxter looks better, comes in black without an upcharge, and I found it on line for exactly half the price of the 1up. I will get it this week and post a review.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast