Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i had an old sportwerks. spent a lot of time with a thule. and then i bought myself a yakima hold up. The yakima just has better materials and feels more solid IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Attachment 688626Kuat NV is an outstanding rack, great looks, great customer service. I bought one used and the repair stand was broken, I emailed the company and had a new one in a week, no complaints
    nice bike!
    Visit http://www.ABQmtb.com for local rides in New Mexico!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by uncrx2003 View Post
    Waited for the right opportunity and finally got the Kuat NV for $385 last night. Was going to buy the 1up but at this price, I couldn't turn down the Kuat.
    Where at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Kuat. Attachment 703008Attachment 703009
    Looks so much better than the 1-up and I think performs better, my buddy has one and I don't trust the way the arms work
    This has hoops for just one wheel, and it does not appear to hold the bike as solid as other carry racks.

just wondering why you like this so much when there are racks with better grasp than this model????
    My Ride: I've upgraded so many parts I don't know what it is anymore!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo15471 View Post
    Where at?
    Amazon had a 20% sale a few weeks ago on top of their Visa card discount so it ended up $385. Couldn't turn that down. Now, I just need to find a 2 bike attachment and I'm set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
    This has hoops for just one wheel, and it does not appear to hold the bike as solid as other carry racks.

just wondering why you like this so much when there are racks with better grasp than this model????
    Have you owned one of these? Once the bikes are on there, they don't move period.

racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRCRX View Post
    if anyone has the weights for these jewels please post them (2 Bikes)
    1up-
    Kuat NV-
    Swagman XTC-2- ,34 lbs
    1up e-mailed me back,
    2 bikes- 48lbs.

I actually bought the Kuat Sherpa- 33lbs. I will have to double check that weight, cuz I havn't yet actually weighed it

mtbr member
    I just researched hitch rack options to death and went with my LBS's orig recommendation and couldn't be happier... Kuat NV

Quote Originally Posted by uncrx2003 View Post
    Have you owned one of these? Once the bikes are on there, they don't move period.
    Yep.. As solid and stable as you would ever need them to be... and the mounting system is perfect as it doesn't touch any frame and is simple to use..
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRCRX View Post
    1up e-mailed me back,
    2 bikes- 48lbs.

I actually bought the Kuat Sherpa- 33lbs. I will have to double check that weight, cuz I havn't yet actually weighed it
    Kuat NV as per their website 49lbs...

racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post
    I just researched hitch rack options to death and went with my LBS's orig recommendation and couldn't be happier... Kuat NV

Yep.. As solid and stable as you would ever need them to be... and the mounting system is perfect as it doesn't touch any frame and is simple to use..

Kuat NV as per their website 49lbs...
    didn't realize the actually listed wieghts, it says the sherpa is 29lbs.

Good Find

SS Rider
    Just got the 1UP rack and installed it on my car yesterday. I was hesitant to buy 1up as from the pics it looks kind of home made. In person this rack is very nice.
    It was the only rack I could find that would allow 1 bike but with expansion if I wanted. It is the only one I found that once it leaves the hitch it slants up away from the ground which is very nice for a car to give extra clearance. I can leave it on the car all the time and it takes a very small amount of space and I can open the rear hitch. It is the only one I found that can do that.
    I have a Yeti 575 and a fatbike so I bought it with the spacers for the fat tires. I also have a thule rack that the arm grabs the tire. The thule works but not as well with the fat tires as the tires do not fit in the tray. 1UP so far seems like a lot nicer rack and made in the USA!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone using the Highland Sportwing two bike setup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been hauling my bike inside my Honda Element for the last few years, finally got tired of it and bought a hitch and 1up rack. Awesome rack, really great purchase I wish I would have made a lot sooner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just sold my Yakima StickUp today and ordered a 1up rack. Right now I just got the single bike version. Probably order an additional tray in the next couple of months.
    The Yakima StickUp did its job just fine except I got tired of not being able to open the rear hatch without lowering the rack first.
    AFAIK, the 1Up is the only rack that is modular so you can leave just 1 tray out(and leave the other tray in the trunk if you want) all the time. This should allow you to open the rear hatch without having to lower the rack.

As for Yakima CS saying that the HoldUp should be mounted to class II or above hitch only. I can see how that is. The class I hitch on my 02 WRX wagon is so flimsy that I can lean on the rack and see the hitch flex! Was driving around with 2 bikes on the rack and every bump on the freeway made the rack bounce so much it was downright scary.

Those of you that recently ordered the 1Up, how long does it take before they ship?

mtbr member
    Just looking at the 1UP made up my mind for good which rack I'm gonna buy!
    It's obviously American rugged quality, I love it.
    Plus, it will easily fit my kids smaller bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Happy T2 owner here. I like the option of moving the trays so bikes don't hit each other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hitch rack?-t2-29er.jpg  

Last edited by lastplace29er; 08-24-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    how is the T2 if you need to put your kids 16" or kids 20" bmx style bike on there?

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie_b View Post
    how is the T2 if you need to put your kids 16" or kids 20" bmx style bike on there?
    My bmx bike works just fine. The rear tire mount slides up all the way to the center. 16" no idea but it would probably work.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My T2 also has been totally solid and is really not that heavy. I bought it over the Raxter as it is able to fold down and allow me to open my rear hatch. I also paid about $200 less than a 1up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastplace29er View Post
    Happy T2 owner here. I like the option of moving the trays so bikes don't hit each other.
    FYI, don't even trust the Thule locks at all. You can take a flat head and with a bit of twist it'll come right out.

I got rid of mine since it rusted like crazy as well. After a bit of rain it'll have a puddle of rusty water underneath it.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    i think i'm going to be getting the Kuat NV - can't beat amazon's price. it has 2 bike, built-in cable lock and bike repair stand. same weight as the 1up 2 bike. and it doesn't look like a senior citizen motor scooter carrier j/k

2012 Trek Fuel EX8 - Matte Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post

Those of you that recently ordered the 1Up, how long does it take before they ship?
    I got mine a few weeks ago, ordered on a Thursday and it was on my doorstep the following Monday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
    i think i'm going to be getting the Kuat NV - can't beat amazon's price. it has 2 bike, built-in cable lock and bike repair stand. same weight as the 1up 2 bike. and it doesn't look like a senior citizen motor scooter carrier j/k
    Maybe it's just me, but if I were basing my purchase decision on what a rack looked like then I'd probably buy the rack that looks like it could hold a~200 pound electric scooter....

meh
    heres a Kuat NV after a rear end collision, fwiw
    rack took the majority of the impact from a Toyota Tundra
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hitch rack?-wp_000240.jpg  

best hitch rack?-wp_000241.jpg  

mtbr member
    To the 1up owners: someone earlier posted that the arms can fit most bike wheel sizes. I assume 26er, 29er, and road bikes all work easily. Has anyone tried a 20" wheel bike? Does the arm hold that no problem or does it need to be modified? It looks like the rod at the far end of the arm that contacts the wheel could be moved down to different holes - does that need to be done to make it work for a 20" bike? If so, does that need to be done to adjust between 26er and 29er bikes as well, or does the far setting work for both?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The far setting works for the larger sizes (26" and >). You'd have to move the contact points for smaller bikes.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast