Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep TX is nice that way that they have a specific exception for bicycle carriers in their transportation code dealing with obscured license plates.

Another rack I'd really like to check out is the Tuf Rack, looks burly, and it sounds like they will custom make you any hitch/receiver setup you want, so if you want it farther back, closer, higher up etc. they will build it, and the offer pre-built setups with 0, 3, and 6" of rise from the hitch to hold 1 to 5 trays.

That said, I don't like the single center ratchet strap hold down, just because I have bikes with top tube mount cables, and even without cables you'd need a serious strap pad. I've seen ratchet straps do some impressive damage to motorcycles rubbing on them for a few hundred miles on a trailer, right through paint and into the aluminum. It's also hard to tell how solidly all the parts are once they are put together but it looks like there's a lot of slop in their video on their website in the trays/hitch. They do have a small set screw on the tray that's supposed to keep them from wobbling but having seen much beefer anti-wobble designs give up off road I don't buy that little set screw is going to work after a few miles of bumps. They also sell a hitch anti-wobble as well. There's also no folding option but I could live with that. If it had an option to solidly bolt to the hitch and solidly bolt the trays so there was zero slop, and it had a better bike retention system it would be sweet. It also looks like from pics of it in use that the ratchet strap can also end up with the ratchet itself rubbing on your cranks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    1 up for sure. just picked one up and its great, added the fat tire spacer and rack does make a little noise now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I didn't see anyone mention Raxter? I have had the duopod for 2 years now and I love it. So quick and easy, and the price is nice.

I Ride Bikes

916xtr

I just ordered a Thule 916xtr. It should be here tomorrow or thursday at the latest. I'll throw in my 2 cents after I use it for awhile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Still happy with my Yakima Holdup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Waited for the right opportunity and finally got the Kuat NV for $385 last night. Was going to buy the 1up but at this price, I couldn't turn down the Kuat.

mtbr member
    I was ready to drink the kool-aid and sacrifice my first born son on the altar of 1up, but decided on the Kuat Sherpa and am pretty happy with that.
    Last edited by rogsim; 07-13-2012 at 08:11 AM.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I just ordered a Thule 916xtr. It should be here tomorrow or thursday at the latest. I'll throw in my 2 cents after I use it for awhile.
    I really like mine. The only downside is its heavy and clunky if you're taking it in and off a lot. I just leave mine on though. Oh and not coming with 2 more locks kind of stinks but they're cheap enough to buy singles once you get the number off then.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rogsim View Post
    I was ready to drink the kool-aid and sacrifice my first born son on the altar of 1up, but decided on the Kuat Sherpa and am pretty happy with that.
    Shame on you! There was a thread here someplace where some guy bought a roof box for his car to put all his luggage in so that he could keep the bikes in the car. The *least* you could do is buy the 1UpUSA rack for your bikes!

J.

racer
    if anyone has the weights for these jewels please post them (2 Bikes)
    1up-
    Kuat NV-
    Swagman XTC-2- ,34 lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter95 View Post
    I have the Swagman XTC2. Its awesome.
    Swagman here as well. Love it. I use the locking hitch pin/cable and its very secure with it. Quality and functionality at a reasonable price. Bikes are easy to load/unload and solidly held in place.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1343541630327.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  30.0 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am trying to find a 1 1/4" 2 bike rack that is class 1. That's the only class I can get for my subaru. I called Yakima for info on the Holdup model and they said they want you to only mount it to class 2 or 3. So now I just have to keep looking

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thule T2! I have the 2 bike extension but leave it off for everything but vacation. It's a beast setup for 4 bikes. It's big and bulky, but if you can leave it on the car, folds nicely and a great super easy to use. I use to be a roof racker and had a nice Thule upright hitch rack as well, but the T2 is the best by far. Made in the US as well.

I <3 dirt
    I run an 1 1/4" Thule T2 on my Subaru. Works great.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Kuat NV here. Got it back in June and love it. Takes a little more diligence loading a road bike, making sure to center the front tire before clamping it down. No complaints otherwise

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I run an 1 1/4" Thule T2 on my Subaru. Works great.
    what model subaru?

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by zackg View Post
    I am trying to find a 1 1/4" 2 bike rack that is class 1. That's the only class I can get for my subaru. I called Yakima for info on the Holdup model and they said they want you to only mount it to class 2 or 3. So now I just have to keep looking
    any 1-1/4" rack will work with your vehicle

I <3 dirt
    what model subaru?
    04 wrx wagon. Like the guy above said though any 1 1/4" rack will work. Most are 2-3 bike at most because of the receiver size though.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's what I was thinking. But the guy was intent on only mounting it to a class 2 or 3 due to weight. Hard to say no to 20% on off on Jensons site.

meh
    That's what I was thinking. But the guy was intent on only mounting it to a class 2 or 3 due to weight. Hard to say no to 20% on off on Jensons site.
    not sure what you mean here, but id guess whoever you were talking to was talking about a 2" rack cuz there isnt a class 3 1.25" hitch...1.25" hitches are almost always class 1, and 2" hitches are almost always class 3 (class 2 can be either 2" or 1.25" but arent as common ime)...as long as the rack is 1.25" it will work, a class 1 hitch can handle up to 200lbs tongue weight

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yakima Racks & Carriers › Shop › Bike › Hitch › HoldUp (1 1/4" receivers only)

under details it says "Available in either 2” or 1¼” (class 2 or 3) hitch receiver models"

I called Yakima and they said we don't want you attaching it to a class 1 hitch even though class 1 is rated for 200lbs.

meh
    weird, you should be fine, my friend has it on a class 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm thinking the same. But the guy on the phone just can't say it'll work since the site says otherwise. They have to cover their butts as well. It weighs 50lbs, my bike weighs 30lbs and another bike would be about the same. so that's way under the 200lb load limit

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm another member who went with the SportRack A30901 2EZ Hitch Platform 2 Bike Rack. It is a really high quality product, works just as it is supposed to, and has a heavy duty feel about it. And it doesn't flop around behind the car even when fully loaded.

I was afraid that not being able to tilt the bikes on the rack so the hatch can be opened would be a problem, but so far its not been an issue.

Well worth the $156.00 price on Amazon.

With a 29'er and a 26".

I like the 1up rack, pretty neat and will tilt with the bike on it. But it takes just as long to attach and load as the Sportrack, and Sportrack carries two bikes. So I went with the sportrack.

And my rack has over 700 miles on it now, and not a single issue.

JRA
    I bought my Kuat Sherpa in August of 2010, so I have almost two years of use on it now. Using it 2-3 times a week during the riding season for two years, I think I have 80-100 trips (and on-the-car, off-the-car cycles on it). I mount it to a VW Tiguan using a one and a quarter inch hitch-mount and transport two 29er FS or two cyclocross bikes on it.

After two years of use, it’s a bit dinged-up but still going strong. The only issues I have had is some squeaking on rough road—grease at the pivot points fixes this, and I have the retention pins on the release lever and strap buckles try to work themselves free before I pushed them back in.

Secures wheels only, no frame contact.
    Anti-wobble cam in the hitch.
    Light enough for the wife to put on and take off.

So far, well worth the investment.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast