Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Re: best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Of course it's hard to beat when it copies someone else's design.
    Copy? I'm ignorant I guess.

Sent from my SPH-L900

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post
    Copy? I'm ignorant I guess.

Sent from my SPH-L900
    Obviously.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    The only problem I've ever had with one was trying to keep DJ bikes in it since the top tubes slant so much. We actually lost a bike in a turn with a friends performance version

I rock a T2 and love it. Wish it was a bit lighter but other then that no complaints.
    Depending on which family members or friends I'm traveling with I'm hauling a mix of mod & stock trials bikes,bmx,xc or a 7" am/fr bike and I've never lost a bike, once you get the stagger right its impossible for a bike come off of the rack.

The only real issue I have with the 4 bike sport rack is that it doesn't fold up flat against the back of my truck which make s parking where I live impossible. I will be selling it soon to buy the 2 bike extension for my T2

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Obviously.
    At least I will always know there's one on here more ignorant than me.....RACERWAD

Sent from my SPH-L900
    Last edited by bplaizier; 05-13-2013 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    At least I will always know there's one on here more ignorant than me.....RACERTWANK

Sent from my SPH-L900
    ??? I'm not sure what you're getting at. Your rack is clearly a copy of the 1up design. BTW, your name calling is adorable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

??? I'm not sure what you're getting at. Your rack is clearly a copy of the 1up design. BTW, your name calling is adorable.
    Sorry, I guess it can be hard to to see entire meaning behind these posts. I took your earlier two post as insults. If they were not meant that way, I'm sorry. By the way, my rack might be a lot of things, but it definately not a copy of 1 up. I designed and built that myself long before I had even heard of 1 up. In fact, the first time I heard of them was when I was shopping for a bike trainer for my wife after I had my rack. I read many reviews and from what I read I went with the 1 up trainer. Long story short, when the box arrived I didn't even open it, I just wrapped it up. When her bday came and she opened the box. To both our surprise it wasn't a trainer, in fact, neither one of us could figure out what it was. Since neither one of us even new they made hitch racks. So I called 1 up (awesome cs traded us for no costs) and they told me what is. The next words out of my mouth were "people really pay 300 for these things?" He told me that they sell more racks then trainers. I couldn't believe it. I mean don't get me wrong, it was a nice rack, but that much for only 1 bike? To each there own. That is why I has already built a rack, I was looking at thule and yakima 4 place racks at a cost of 700-800, and couldn't afford that.

Sent from my SPH-L900

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry, I guess it can be hard to to see entire meaning behind these posts. I took your earlier two post as insults. If they were not meant that way, I'm sorry. By the way, my rack might be a lot of things, but it definately not a copy of 1 up. I designed and built that myself long before I had even heard of 1 up. In fact, the first time I heard of them was when I was shopping for a bike trainer for my wife after I had my rack. I read many reviews and from what I read I went with the 1 up trainer. Long story short, when the box arrived I didn't even open it, I just wrapped it up. When her bday came and she opened the box. To both our surprise it wasn't a trainer, in fact, neither one of us could figure out what it was. Since neither one of us even new they made hitch racks. So I called 1 up (awesome cs traded us for no costs) and they told me what is. The next words out of my mouth were "people really pay 300 for these things?" He told me that they sell more racks then trainers. I couldn't believe it. I mean don't get me wrong, it was a nice rack, but that much for only 1 bike? To each there own. That is why I has already built a rack, I was looking at thule and yakima 4 place racks at a cost of 700-800, and couldn't afford that.

Sent from my SPH-L900
    I wasn't insulting you as much as pointing out that your rack just appears to be a copy. If it's insulting, I apologize but I'd wager that the folks at 1up wouldn't appreciate it. And, name calling just seems so unnecessary, even if you were insulted. I apologize if I have offended you.

Just curious, if you had built your rack "long before" you got the wrong item from 1up, how could you have not recognized it? If you're handy enough to build your own rack, how could you not recognize immediately what was in the box?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hitch rack?-uploadfromtaptalk1368373898988.jpg  

best hitch rack?-screen-shot-2013-05-13-8.49.23-am.jpg  

DaFaJa
    1up is a great rack, I just do not like the way it mounts to the hitch..Needs some type of lock..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Wha do you mean by some kind of lock? It's secured by a security hex bolt(rack replacement free if stolen), and if you're even more paranoid you can fit a U-lock or 2 or 3 or 4 through the hitch and rack...
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

I <3 dirt

best hitch rack?

Can't you just use a locking hitch pin?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nope.

meh
    If you drill a hole in it, yes, otherwise no
    there isnt a need for one though

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

I'm a satisfied 1Up owner, but lets stop drinking the kool-aid long enough to call it like it is: The Allen Wrench locking feature on the rack to the hitch is as secure as any rack locking method, but a $500 rack should include a bike locking feature as part of the deal. It is what it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I'm a satisfied 1Up owner, but lets stop drinking the kool-aid long enough to call it like it is: The Allen Wrench locking feature on the rack to the hitch is as secure as any rack locking method, but a $500 rack should include a bike locking feature as part of the deal. It is what it is.
    I'm happy with my Kuat NV. Only complaint is its a bit heavy on the 4 bike version.

mtbr member

best hitch rack?

I've said this earlier I have had the Thule t2, kuat nv, saris pro rack, and a 1 up. Hands down 1up blows away all of them. A far 2nd I would put Kuat nv and then just slightly in 3rd I would say thulet2. The saris can suck a fat one. I understand not everybody has a bike more than $1k but if you do I put a good rack up there with a good helmet those are the 2 things that will protect and keep you and your babies safe. So don't skimp go one up. If the rack gets stolen 1up will replace it free. As far as bike security I hate to break it but there is not 1 rack out there BUT there are safety measures either a ulock or 1up has these bolts that go through the wheel. Obviously the weakness with that is you can steal the frame. But there are videos on youtube white motorcycles getting jacked being bolted up with those insane chains that are 2inch thick hardened steel links and with the right bolt cutter can be jacked in under a minute. I never leave my bike out of eyesight on any rack. Even unlocks can be busted easily the whole point of locks is to slow down the burgled BUT it will only slow then down for about a minute.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    I've said this earlier I have had the Thule t2, kuat nv, saris pro rack, and a 1 up. Hands down 1up blows away all of them. A far 2nd I would put Kuat nv and then just slightly in 3rd I would say thulet2. The saris can suck a fat one. I understand not everybody has a bike more than $1k but if you do I put a good rack up there with a good helmet those are the 2 things that will protect and keep you and your babies safe. So don't skimp go one up. If the rack gets stolen 1up will replace it free. As far as bike security I hate to break it but there is not 1 rack out there BUT there are safety measures either a ulock or 1up has these bolts that go through the wheel. Obviously the weakness with that is you can steal the frame. But there are videos on youtube white motorcycles getting jacked being bolted up with those insane chains that are 2inch thick hardened steel links and with the right bolt cutter can be jacked in under a minute. I never leave my bike out of eyesight on any rack. Even unlocks can be busted easily the whole point of locks is to slow down the burgled BUT it will only slow then down for about a minute.
    Why so many racks? What makes 1up so much better than the NV?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    If it is as secure as any locking method, why bother adding another locking system? Wouldn't that just increase the cost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Pretty sure they have a theft guarantee anyway...personally I'm glad to live in a place where theft isn't really a worry.
    whatever...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Why so many racks?
    HA, I had the same thought. That guy is a rack animal! I'm still using the Sportworks rack I bought in 2004 (T2's grandfather). I took it apart last winter, refurbished it and I'm hoping this thing outlasts me.

Now I'm in the market for a 2 bike rack for my wife's CRV. Looking for quality and light weight. Which one weighs the least?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    Wha do you mean by some kind of lock? It's secured by a security hex bolt(rack replacement free if stolen)
    So will they replace my bike as well? It would just be nice to have a LOCK @ the hitch as well..I am not putting the rack down in any way..
    Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    It's secured by a security hex bolt
    Yeah because you cant buy that tool anywhere..What was I thinking :P
    Tampa FL USA

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    So will they replace my bike as well? It would just be nice to have a LOCK @ the hitch as well..I am not putting the rack down in any way..
    i doubt they would replace the bike, if your bike is in a situation it might be stolen, it should be locked up with a cable or chain to your hitch (with or without securing the rack as well with the cable/chain)...so it isn't a rack issue if the bike is stolen
    if the rack failed and that harmed the bike, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    Yeah because you cant buy that tool anywhere..What was I thinking :P
    if someone is targeting 1ups, I suppose its a possibility, but your average thief isnt bound to have one on him at the time

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think that my hitch rack is the best. It has the most carrying capacity, it is the easiest to load and unload, it is the easiest to hook to your car, it is the most stable and best of all... I can attach it to my motorcycle's hitch!!

Easy bike rack!!

mtbr member

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Why so many racks? What makes 1up so much better than the NV?
    Well the saris I returned, the Thule got jacked, and my nv got rear ended. The reason the 1up is so much better than the nv is the ease of install each peice is super light 27 lbs for the main hitch and the add ins are like 22 lbs on the 1up and it has tons better ground clearance also since each peice is holds 1 bike you can just add on or take off. I generally drive around town with just the 1 bike but when it's a group ride or traveling ill just pop on more peices to hold 3 bikes which I have the 1 1/4 hitch. If you have a 2 inch you can put up to 4 bikes. The other thing is its super low profile. The downside to low profile I forget its on and I sometimes bang my shin on the rack when I go to grab stuff out of the trunk. Also the one up is all alluminum most peices are Cnc from solid alluminum. The kuat has a mix of steel and alluminum. Oh and the 1up doesn't obstruct your licens plate like the kuat when it is up which is just one more thing to give the police a excuse to pull me over and waste my time. Honestly if you want the best rack 1 up hands down. I'm not going to say the Thule or kuats are junk. They are amazing racks but you don't realize most of why I just said unless you make the plunge for a 1 up. But I also noticed I did burn slightly more fuel with the Thule and kuat. Many of my friends who have gone on road trips also have the t2 or kuat but they only have the 2 bike versions and so if we're rolling 3 deep or traveling we will take theirs off and put mine on and every time they are amazed at how quit and rgood the 1 up rack. It's to the point some have put their Thule and kuats on Craigslist so they can get a 1 up. But in all honesty the Thule kuat and 1 up are going to get your bike from point a to point b equally safe unless your doing heavy offloading and ground clearence and strength is a issue then I would opt for a 1 up

mtbr member

best hitch rack?

1 more thing is no rack manufacturer protects or warranties your bike from theft. 1uo is the only one that will replace your rack if stolen. Kuat and Thule locks are just detergents and are more designed when the rack fails you won't loose your bike on the ground. Call Thule and kuat and ask them. It's just a secondary measure and a theft deterent

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast