Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I want an Arbutus rack or a Rat Rack...

mtbr member
    Kuat NV or 1up.

Debate over

mtbr member
    1 Up USA. Have had mine for 3 years with zero (0) complaints. Actually the only other rack I have ever owned is a roof rack from Saris and I was not pleased due to the bikes movement when on top of the car and decrease in fuel mileage. I will never own another roof model for this reason.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    the repair stand on the Kuat might be why I'd choose it over the 1-up...how convenient.

btw - is anyone else obsessed with the possibility of being rear-ended with their expensive bike on a hitch-mount? (I definitely don't want a roof rack though)
    No, my obsessions are much more interesting than that.

Mountain bikes are consumables if you choose a fun one and ride it with the right attitude. If mine gets rear ended with a car I'll be bummed if an uninsured driver but happy to ride what replaces it.

My last rack got rear ended and thanks to that I had my perfect reason and their insurance toward buying the 1 Up.

We lost a family member via someone else's stupid driving. That one mattered - not losing easily replaceable sports toys or car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    No, my obsessions are much more interesting than that.

Mountain bikes are consumables if you choose a fun one and ride it with the right attitude. If mine gets rear ended with a car I'll be bummed if an uninsured driver but happy to ride what replaces it.

My last rack got rear ended and thanks to that I had my perfect reason and their insurance toward buying the 1 Up.

We lost a family member via someone else's stupid driving. That one mattered - not losing easily replaceable sports toys or car.
    Thank you! People worry about the weirdest things and lose all context about what is really happening.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

best hitch rack?

Excellent point!!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    I looked at the 1 Up USA because I thought that it would be really inexpensive because its simple DYI/ hardware store look, but they are just as much as the "nice" racks.

mtbr member

Re: best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    I looked at the 1 Up USA because I thought that it would be really inexpensive because its simple DYI/ hardware store look, but they are just as much as the "nice" racks.
    You're kidding right?

mtbr member
    No, i'm not kidding. $609 for the Black Double --EGAT. I would only put that on my car if it was $100. Sorry, IMHO.

It looks like someone made it out of 80/20 modular tubing.

48 lb for a double 1Up is heavy, but the Kuat Surpa saves you $150 and it does not weight down your car at 29 lb and lighter to take on in off.

Last edited by Killroy; 04-26-2013 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just got a Sport Rack. It is super stabile and is really nice quality for only $200. I have been biking for 30 years. This is the best rack I have had yet.

Amazon.com: SportRack A30901LR 2EZ PREMIUM HITCH PLATFORM SYSTEM: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    $200 for hitch rack that does not dangle or require a wheel removal is good price, that is what I thought the 1UP was before I saw the price.

I <3 dirt

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by fazzster View Post
    I just got a Sport Rack. It is super stabile and is really nice quality for only $200. I have been biking for 30 years. This is the best rack I have had yet.

Amazon.com: SportRack A30901LR 2EZ PREMIUM HITCH PLATFORM SYSTEM: Sports & Outdoors
    That looks exactly like the performance rack....but more money.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...06_-1___000000
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

meh
    $200 for hitch rack that does not dangle or require a wheel removal is good price, that is what I thought the 1UP was before I saw the price.
    Pictures don't do the 1up justice. It is in another league than that Sport Rack, truly. Having come from what I consider the second "best" hitch rack (Kuat NV), there is a reason you dont hear anything negative about the 1up, it is that good. Def isnt modular tubing.

mtbr member
    I have the Kuat NV and love it. It's about as easy to deal with as it gets. Plus it will never rust (I'm near the ocean).

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    That looks exactly like the performance rack....but more money.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...06_-1___000000
    If im not mistaken it is the same rack just rebranded for Performance,also I think I read somewhere after I bought my 4 bike sportrack that they were bought out by Thule and all but their commercial racks for public transportation were discontinued? So maybe performance is closing them out to get rid of old stock? I'm sure someone on here can verify one way or the other if they arw still in production. I can tell you I've never had any problems with my 4 bike rack and I beleive hands down the sportrack and swagman racks are the best in their price range.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    the repair stand on the Kuat might be why I'd choose it over the 1-up...how convenient.

btw - is anyone else obsessed with the possibility of being rear-ended with their expensive bike on a hitch-mount? (I definitely don't want a roof rack though)
    A rack with a repair stand would have been great for travelling(by rv) since I wouldnt have to carry my portable stand anymore but the difference in price was too much too justify the purchase over the T2.

And I've been fortunate that I've only ever been rearended when the rack was empty.racks and bikes are replaceable and a great reason to upgrade should it ever happen.

Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Pictures don't do the 1up justice. It is in another league than that Sport Rack, truly. Having come from what I consider the second "best" hitch rack (Kuat NV), there is a reason you dont hear anything negative about the 1up, it is that good. Def isnt modular tubing.
    Agreed. I also came from the Kuat NV. There's a f'n reason the 1Up thread is 60+ pages long...
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    I would have loved a 1Up but they don't ship to Australia or have a dealer here.

I made this rack for my ute...

But I've just sold it and needed a hitch rack so I went with the Kuat NV. Having just come back from a 2000km round trip with the NV on and two bikes I'm very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

best hitch rack?

Does "look" mean in person or up close?

It has thoughtful project from hands of a millwright look if anything.

My Kuat experience is with bike posse members owning them. I've owned or still own Saris, Thule, Graber, Yakima, SportWorks. The 1 Up would have to be nice+ if compared to them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Does "look" mean in person or up close?

It has thoughtful project from hands of a millwright look if anything.

My Kuat experience is with bike posse members owning them. I've owned or still own Saris, Thule, Graber, Yakima, SportWorks. The 1 Up would have to be nice+ if compared to them.
    I think like many web-experts, Killroy has not had the opportunity to use a 1up in person. I agree that in pictures the rack has a DIY look. In real life, however, I agree with you - the rack clearly has had a lot of effort put into its construction. Personally, I don't mind that the masses don't flock to 1up because of its "looks". I like having the only one around

I <3 dirt

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by NRSguy View Post
    If im not mistaken it is the same rack just rebranded for Performance,also I think I read somewhere after I bought my 4 bike sportrack that they were bought out by Thule and all but their commercial racks for public transportation were discontinued? So maybe performance is closing them out to get rid of old stock? I'm sure someone on here can verify one way or the other if they arw still in production. I can tell you I've never had any problems with my 4 bike rack and I beleive hands down the sportrack and swagman racks are the best in their price range.

The only problem I've ever had with one was trying to keep DJ bikes in it since the top tubes slant so much. We actually lost a bike in a turn with a friends performance version

I rock a T2 and love it. Wish it was a bit lighter but other then that no complaints.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    No, i'm not kidding. $609 for the Black Double --EGAT. I would only put that on my car if it was $100. Sorry, IMHO.

It looks like someone made it out of 80/20 modular tubing.

48 lb for a double 1Up is heavy, but the Kuat Surpa saves you $150 and it does not weight down your car at 29 lb and lighter to take on in off.

Wow that 1 up is HEAVY. Seriously 48lbs is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

$200 and 4 bikes to Moab FTW. CAN'T beat that.

Will fit any size bike and tire as well!

Sent from my SPH-L900
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hitch rack?-uploadfromtaptalk1368373898988.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post

Sent from my SPH-L900
    Of course it's hard to beat when it copies someone else's design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post

Sent from my SPH-L900
    It gets beat by $50 for 4 bikes to moab, home made "North shore style rack", I don't have a pic though. The north shore style racks also hold any wheel size/bike size as well, but it may not hold a lefty.

TBH, My buddy built it for $50and gave it to me so I paid nothing for it :-)

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast