Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why I love the 1up Rack

Quote Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post
    So I've read all the posts and I'm at a loss, I really don't understand the love affair with 1 up racks. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but how do people justify spending there kids college fund on them.
    You asked, so I thought I would answer....

After extensive research and hands on testing, there are several reasons I thought the 1 Up rack was worth the money. Here are some of them:
    1 - I am a small petite lady. This rack is very managable for me, and super easy for me to take on on off.
    2 - I live in a small condo with no garage and I love that it folds up so small to store when I am not using it.
    3 - I drive a Honda Accord and because it rides lower to the ground than a truck, SUV, etc. I wanted to have as few problems as possible with scraping on inclines, driveways, etc. Although I do have the 2nd bike add-on, it is the only rack that I saw that was just a 1-bike rack. 98% of the time it is just me and with only having the 1-bike rack on, it doesn't stick out as far...helping with the scrapage issue.
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I use this guy:

Yakima Hold Up Bike Rack w/ Lock Cable | Backcountry.com

Works great, super sturdy even with DH bikes on it, super fast and easy to load and unload. I'd say it's hard to go wrong with any tray style rack, except I'm not a fan of the kind that hold it by the top tube like this:

Yakima Stick Up Bike Rack | Backcountry.com

Just because it's a bit more of a clumsy setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone use the Saris Cycleon Pro? I'm between getting that or the Thule 916xtrT2?

mtbr member
    I have been super happy with my 1up rack. It's expensive, but in my opinion it's the best design available.

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Isn't that random chance though? On some vehicles the license place will still be blocked with the 1up. It's just a matter of the distance from the hitch to the license plate and where the trays end up. For most people, leaving a rack on all summer long is asking to be pulled over, or one more thing you are going to get written up for when you're driving like an a$$ or there's some other infraction.
    I wrote my tag number on the back I my anodized 1UP with a big fat sharpie and some stencils. You can see my tag, and maybe this will keep me out of trouble. It ha so far.

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Isn't that random chance though? On some vehicles the license place will still be blocked with the 1up. It's just a matter of the distance from the hitch to the license plate and where the trays end up. For most people, leaving a rack on all summer long is asking to be pulled over, or one more thing you are going to get written up for when you're driving like an a$$ or there's some other infraction.
    I wrote my tag number on the back of my 1UP with a big fat sharpie and some stencils. You can still see most of my tag, and maybe this will keep me out of trouble. It has so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I like this rack esp. because I'm obsessed about being rear-ended with $8K bike on the rack, and don't want a roof rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the repair stand on the Kuat might be why I'd choose it over the 1-up...how convenient.

btw - is anyone else obsessed with the possibility of being rear-ended with their expensive bike on a hitch-mount? (I definitely don't want a roof rack though)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    the repair stand on the Kuat might be why I'd choose it over the 1-up...how convenient.

btw - is anyone else obsessed with the possibility of being rear-ended with their expensive bike on a hitch-mount? (I definitely don't want a roof rack though)
    Then maybe what you want is a front bumper rack. I'm not sure they make those.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Pretty sure in general you would make out like a bandit from the insurance and get to have fun building up a new awesome bike, but the time spent waiting on the insurance company and waiting to order parts would be brutal if it was mid-season.

Most trucks/SUVs can have a front receiver installed if you think it will improve your chances.

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012
    You don't understand the love affair with 1 Up USA racks? That's because you haven't seen or used one. I just bought one and couldn't be happier. Spent my kid's college money on it?!? Really? How much money did you spend on your bike? The only reason I see Thule and Yakima racks at the trailhead is because people just go to the LBS and say "what bike rack should I buy?" You won't end up with 1 Up USA that way. You'll end up with some thing less. Something that is a pain in the A$$ to put on the car. Pain in the A$$ to store in the garage. And then after 2 years when it rusts into dust you can blindly go back to the LBS and buy another one. Or you can follow the many outstanding reviews on this website and buy and 1 UP USA. One thing I always live by "The bitterness of poor quality lasts much longer than the sweetness of low price." Nuff said, maybe too much...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooman View Post
    You don't understand the love affair with 1 Up USA racks? That's because you haven't seen or used one. I just bought one and couldn't be happier. Spent my kid's college money on it?!? Really? How much money did you spend on your bike? The only reason I see Thule and Yakima racks at the trailhead is because people just go to the LBS and say "what bike rack should I buy?" You won't end up with 1 Up USA that way. You'll end up with some thing less. Something that is a pain in the A$$ to put on the car. Pain in the A$$ to store in the garage. And then after 2 years when it rusts into dust you can blindly go back to the LBS and buy another one. Or you can follow the many outstanding reviews on this website and buy and 1 UP USA. One thing I always live by "The bitterness of poor quality lasts much longer than the sweetness of low price." Nuff said, maybe too much...
    +1 on the love for the 1up. It's a great rack, period. Really in a class by itself. I have been MTBing since 1992 (yeah THAT old) and i have owned, used, or known someone with just about every set-up there is., and i use 1 up.

There is exactly one small part made of plastic, and everything else is machined aluminum. It's way lighter than the Thule rack it replaced, it takes seconds to put on or take off, holds the bike securely, only touches the tires, etc. Bikes are easy on, easy off, and they look great. They are made in the USA, and this product reminds me of a time when that meant a lot more than it does today. It's well designed, well built, and after 2 years of use it still looks new. I even get compliments on it at the trail head now and then. It's quality stuff. I hate to indulge in cliches, but you honestly do get what you pay for with the 1up.

If you can afford it, I give you my honest opinion, you won't regret it. I'll never use any other bike rack after going to the 1 up.
    Mind your own religion.

meh

fwiw, I originally liked the idea of the repair stand too, but I never once used it

I had my kuat NV rear ended bikeless, was covered by their insurance and I got a 1up with the $. A good friend of mine had his bike rear ended on a trunk rack and was able to upgrade a model year and spec through his lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    fwiw, I originally liked the idea of the repair stand too, but I never once used it

I had my kuat NV rear ended bikeless, was covered by their insurance and I got a 1up with the $. A good friend of mine had his bike rear ended on a trunk rack and was able to upgrade a model year and spec through his lbs
    That was my analysis of the Kuats repair stand, too. At first glance, it seems really cool. But after really thinking about it, I can't think of one single time when was in a situation where I wished I had repair stand on my hitch mount.

If I have a mechanical problem on the trail that requires the use of a stand, I'm going home.

And regarding being rear-ended with an expensive hitch rack... Who cares? Really. How often do you get rear-ended? And if I do get rear-ended they are paying for all damages anyway. Buy me a new 1up, biotch
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 03-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Kuat NV 4 bike has been great for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    That was my analysis of the Kuats repair stand, too. At first glance, it seems really cool. But after really thinking about it, I can't think of one single time when was in a situation where I wished I had repair stand on my hitch mount.

If I have a mechanical problem on the trail that requires the use of a stand, I'm going home.

And regarding being rear-ended with an expensive hitch rack... Who cares? Really. How often do you get rear-ended? And if I do get rear-ended they are paying for all damages anyway. Buy me a new 1up, biotch

once you have the repair stand you will find yourself using it often e.g. add a little air to both tires, post ride quick clean, etc. i was surprised by how often i have the bike on they rack.

mtbr member

best hitch rack?

I use my 1up as my "repair/wash/adjustment" stand. Sure, I can't spin the wheels like my stand at home, but I've been able to do what I needed so far with the bike in the rack.
    I recently rescued a complete bike display rack from a dumpster at the local Waste Disposal place... someone had dumped it before the bike shop manager could tell them not too. I heard about this the next day and figured it was worth a try to see if the parts were still at the recycle center. Damn lucky! lol
    Anyway, my Prius and 1up demonstrated, once again, how well they team up to turn my Prius into a pickup truck!
    best hitch rack?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364191897.978987.jpg

mtbr member
    I just sold my Kuat NV yesterday and also ordered the 1up rack yesterday. I agree with the ones saying the stand was a great idea at first, but really isn't all that useful. The only thing i used it for was cleaning off the cassette, and lubing the chain, and you can do all of that with it in the rack. No stand required.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    I just sold my Kuat NV yesterday and also ordered the 1up rack yesterday. I agree with the ones saying the stand was a great idea at first, but really isn't all that useful. The only thing i used it for was cleaning off the cassette, and lubing the chain, and you can do all of that with it in the rack. No stand required.
    I ended up getting the core. I figured the extra expense wasn't worth something I don't see myself ever using. So far I've used it one time and I like it. The top of my camper shell on my Tacoma is about 6'6" so putting a bike up there would be a huge pain. I did tighten some of the bolts on the rack below the pivot to eliminate some wobble.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Where can you get the 1Up for the best pricing?

mtbr member
    no more rear trunk bike racks for me. those things are just not reliable. i lost my cannondale trail sl3 on the highway because one of the rubber straps popped off. i highly recommend the thule t2 but requires a 2" receiver. i went with a thule 990xt doubletrack on my camry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hitch rack?-893454_10151511907088637_1421653760_o.jpg  

best hitch rack?-887031_10151511906038637_1436915414_o.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Where can you get the 1Up for the best pricing?
    dont expect to find any deals like you would on a lot of bike gear, they are sold direct only (afaik) with the rare occasion you see one on craigslist or ebay

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't normally buy the same crap as everybody else, I like to buy the best tool for the job regardless of what is considered cool.

Was planning on buying a Yakima, ended up with a 1UP. It is really incredible, the reviews here are all accurate.

I don't care for the looks, it looks like a Erector Set, but it works so flawlessly and effortlessly. It takes 10 seconds to mount your bike securely, I don't know why I screwed with roof racks for as long as I did.

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012
    1Up is only available for sale directly from the manufacturer. 1upusa.com. No tax free shipping.

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    I don't normally buy the same crap as everybody else, I like to buy the best tool for the job regardless of what is considered cool.

Was planning on buying a Yakima, ended up with a 1UP. It is really incredible, the reviews here are all accurate.

I don't care for the looks, it looks like a Erector Set, but it works so flawlessly and effortlessly. It takes 10 seconds to mount your bike securely, I don't know why I screwed with roof racks for as long as I did.
    Word.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast