Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Elitest thrill junkie
    You tell him it's the same chassi as "blah blah blah" that CAN take a hitch and it's only being used for a bike rack, not towing. How can he sit there and tell you that a car that has the SAME chassi can take a hitch, while yours can not? Mechanically, it probably only helps to tie the rear end together and make it more rigid, thereby making the chassi more sound. If he won't install it (but I'd never have a dealer install it, they mark up everything, labor included, way over what it should cost), threaten to take it to someone that will. Often times the SAME EXACT car is rated for and able to take a hitch and tow in Europe, so that's good to look into as well. Many autoX racers like to tow a small light trailer with their race-wheels and tires too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csledd281 View Post
    Yes please share!! I will be purchasing one next month.

On a side note, any get any crap from their dealers for putting a hitch on a car that's not suppose to have a hitch? My dealer told me technically the STi doesn't support a hitch.
    It's through a friend. I'm very luck that way.

That's a good question. I suppose you can make any car carry a hitch. I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off road with a towing package. It has a tongue weight of 500 pounds so a hitch rack is no problem. Also I added another leaf to the rear suspension for carrying scuba gear so it carry a more weight than stock. The truck has a small lift of 2.5" so the rack will be pretty high off the ground. That's the main reason I want to get a hitch rack. The camper shell is 3" taller than the cab so it's about 6'6". Add a roof rack and bike trays and you gotta lift the bikes up to about 6'9" or so.
    Last edited by otis24; 02-12-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
    I like to ride bikes.

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

I'm a long time Thule roof rack user, but with a new Cannondale Lefty trail bike I wanted a hitch mount for quick, convenient bike installation. (Lefty design requires disconnecting the front wheel brake to remove wheel, so I was ready to switch from fork mount systems). I got a 1UP 2-bike 2-inch mount rack about 2 weeks ago and it is all it's cracked up to be... Super design and rugged, durable construction. It seems to me the rack will last many years if not decades. Rack installs on hitch receiver (on and off) in under 2 minutes, and 2 bikes mount on and off in under a minute. It folds up to a small storage size, which is helpful for stowing in my garage. Have carried roadies and trail bikes with no problems.

My only comment is that a $529 rack should have a more integrated locking system. I purchased 2 extra wheel locks at same time as my rack (for $19 each). I wish they were keyed alike rather than separately, plus it's a bit of a hassle keeping track of the locking cores/pins when not using them on rack. (There should be a drilled-out hole location on the rack that accepts the wheel locks without restricting swing-arm motion while locks not in use, since most of the time I don't need the locks on. This will make more sense if you own the locking cores/pins). The wheel locks work pretty well, though, and should be a deterrent to theft.

I'd buy a 1UP rack again, though, without any hesitation. Great product.
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 02-13-2013 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    You tell him it's the same chassi as "blah blah blah" that CAN take a hitch and it's only being used for a bike rack, not towing. How can he sit there and tell you that a car that has the SAME chassi can take a hitch, while yours can not? Mechanically, it probably only helps to tie the rear end together and make it more rigid, thereby making the chassi more sound. If he won't install it (but I'd never have a dealer install it, they mark up everything, labor included, way over what it should cost), threaten to take it to someone that will. Often times the SAME EXACT car is rated for and able to take a hitch and tow in Europe, so that's good to look into as well. Many autoX racers like to tow a small light trailer with their race-wheels and tires too.
    Thanks for the response. It's a small dealer and I love them and they try hard, I think they probably just don't want to cross that line. I will probably just do it myself, I don't have a lift so I figured it might be worth paying someone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Installing a hitch (on most cars) is a relatively straight forward affair. You just need some jackstands and a jack to make it easier on yourself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post

My only comment is that a $529 rack should have a more integrated locking system. I purchased 2 extra wheel locks at same time as my rack (for $19 each). I wish they were keyed alike rather than separately, plus it's a bit of a hassle keeping track of the locking cores/pins when not using them on rack. (There should be a drilled-out hole location on the rack that accepts the wheel locks without restricting swing-arm motion while locks not in use, since most of the time I don't need the locks on. This will make more sense if you own the locking cores/pins). The wheel locks work pretty well, though, and should be a deterrent to theft.

As someone else mentioned earlier, what is preventing anyone from just removing the quick releases from the wheels and then removing the frame? The integrated solutions from other brands aren't very good (and 1up's solution isn't any better). If you're serious about keeping the bike, you need to devise your own solution.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post

They will have single key locks eventually, I asked 1up about it a couple months ago. Not sure on the time frame.
    Integrated locks are pretty easy to get through (not as easy as those wheel locks though). If you want real security, as mentioned above, you need to go with something of your own creation (and put your bikes on your homeowners/renters insurance).

mtbr member
    Just used my new Swagman XTC-2 to bring two new mountain bikes home. I really like this rack for the price. This weekend I'll get the hitch installed on my Mazda3 which will be my main mode of transport.

best hitch rack?-8472183050_0e430027f5_c.jpg

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Easterday View Post
    Just used my new Swagman XTC-2 to bring two new mountain bikes home. I really like this rack for the price. This weekend I'll get the hitch installed on my Mazda3 which will be my main mode of transport.
    Ride happy. Rack happy. Hitch happy. Happiness trifecta.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Re: best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    You have to move the rod, but yes we carry 29 - 20" all the time.

Is that a $1,200 rack setup you have? Bling Bling

Sent from my SPH-L900
    Last edited by bplaizier; 02-16-2013 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1up usa here!

security is an issue but it does a great job of transporting the bike!!!

joel

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

So I've read all the posts and I'm at a loss, I really don't understand the love affair with 1 up racks. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but how do people justify spending there kids college fund on them. They are at least double the competitors price. I get the argument that you spend so much on your bikes that you don't want to risk damage to them. I get that, I really do. I have over 5k invested in bikes not racks. I want to keep my bikes free from damage as well but at an affordable price, and there are a few out there that meet that need that don't have the name 1up. So 1up are no for me, I'd rather put that money into my bike that I can enjoy riding rather than a rack.

Here's a mug shot of my 4 place rack, only cost $200 and fits all bikes and doesn't touch the frame, only the tires.

I get all sorts of comments on this rack, my favorite is "Nice Rack"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hitch rack?-uploadfromtaptalk1361050071283.jpg  

best hitch rack?-uploadfromtaptalk1361050128390.jpg  

best hitch rack?-uploadfromtaptalk1361050190942.jpg  

Last edited by bplaizier; 02-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post
    So I've read all the posts and I'm at a loss, I really don't understand the love affair with 1 up racks. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but how do people justify spending there kids college fund on them. They are at least double the competitors price. I get the argument that you spend so much on your bikes that you don't want to risk damage to them. I get that, I really do. I have over 5k invested in bikes not racks. I want to keep my bikes free from damage as well but at an affordable price, and there are a few out there that meet that need that don't have the name 1up. So 1up are no for me, I'd rather put that money into my bike that I can enjoy riding target than a track.

Here's a mug shot of my 4 place rack, only cost $200 and fits all bikes and doesn't touch the frame, only the tires.

Who makes that rack?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think the reason that people love their 1ups is because it works perfectly, every time. Add to that great customer service and that they're made in the USA and it seems pretty clear.

Your rack is an obvious knockoff of the 1up design and I think that's the best answer to your question. You wanted a way to safely and conveniently carry your bikes and you either came to the same idea as 1up spontaneously or you chose to copy their design because it was clearly the best. Either way, 1up's concept is the best of the available designs.

The reason people pay more for it is to avoid the janky homemade look as well as better materials. I also like 1up's modularity. Since I don't need to carry 4 bikes, I don't need to spend nearly as much. That worked for me and got me a much nicer made rack out of much better materials with much better workmanship. Even though I paid more, I got more value out of the money I did spend.

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

The only people who complain about the price of 1Up Racks ... don't own 1Up Racks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got a Thule 970 Xpress 2 Bike Towball Carrier. Still going to keep it, but I need to upgrade to 4/5 bike rack.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post
    So I've read all the posts and I'm at a loss, I really don't understand the love affair with 1 up racks. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but how do people justify spending there kids college fund on them. They are at least double the competitors price. I get the argument that you spend so much on your bikes that you don't want to risk damage to them. I get that, I really do. I have over 5k invested in bikes not racks. I want to keep my bikes free from damage as well but at an affordable price, and there are a few out there that meet that need that don't have the name 1up. So 1up are no for me, I'd rather put that money into my bike that I can enjoy riding rather than a rack.

Because when you drive a focus like me, you need a small, foldable, rack. You need something modular so you're not dragging around extra rack space. Something I can leave on all summer and does not block my license plate or tail lamps. Something that comes on and off in seconds if need be.
    Nice rack you have, but that would never work on my car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Because when you drive a focus like me, you need a small, foldable, rack. You need something modular so you're not dragging around extra rack space. Something I can leave on all summer and does not block my license plate or tail lamps. Something that comes on and off in seconds if need be.
    Nice rack you have, but that would never work on my car.
    Exactly right. To that I would add: Sometimes I have to carry 1 bike, other times 4 bikes, this other rack is just for the case of when you want to carry 4 bikes. Who would want that thing on the back of their car for a single bike? So for the application of 4 bikes each and every time it probably works just fine. That's not the application for most people.

There is also the issue of storage. I don't have enough storage space to store a monster like that. So, I'd change my characterization a bit, that rack works great if you take 4 bikes all the time every time AND you have a very large garage (pole barn?) in which to store it AND help to install it.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Did I read Focus and 1UP?

Once you see one in person the price is justified. If you can't afford it, don't knock it. If you can and its not worth it to you, move on.

There is not a cleaner way to haul one bike around on a car IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

best hitch rack?

I have carried 15k worth of bikes on my $89 Allen rack from Walmart. Can't say I was proud of it though

mtbr member

best hitch rack?

Just got a kuat nv and it is the Cadillac of racks .... It's awesome!

Happy Trails

best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Did I read Focus and 1UP?

Once you see one in person the price is justified. If you can't afford it, don't knock it. If you can and its not worth it to you, move on.

There is not a cleaner way to haul one bike around on a car IMO.

Is that the Frederick Watershed? It looks like the 'shed. I'm out in Arizona now but I miss Yellow Trail and the new Blue stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Landing Rd, HoCo side of Patapsco.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Something I can leave on all summer and does not block my license plate or tail lamps. Something that comes on and off in seconds if need be.
    Isn't that random chance though? On some vehicles the license place will still be blocked with the 1up. It's just a matter of the distance from the hitch to the license plate and where the trays end up. For most people, leaving a rack on all summer long is asking to be pulled over, or one more thing you are going to get written up for when you're driving like an a$$ or there's some other infraction.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Isn't that random chance though? On some vehicles the license place will still be blocked with the 1up. It's just a matter of the distance from the hitch to the license plate and where the trays end up. For most people, leaving a rack on all summer long is asking to be pulled over, or one more thing you are going to get written up for when you're driving like an a$$ or there's some other infraction.
    Somewhat. The 1up is very small folded up on the car. Very short height from pivot to platform and a narrow platform all add up to better chance of not blocking. Of course using the second platform changes this, but since the rack is modular and each module simple and fast to remove (not to mention foldable and easily stores in a small trunk etc.) you end up with the utmost flexibility.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast