Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Allen Deluxe 3-Bike Hitch Mount Rack

It's not a Thule or 1UP, but I've had this rack for two years...no issues or major complaints. The male portion wasn't a snug fit so I ordered an adapter from Curt & the rattle is completely gone. Two bungee cords help secure parts & wheels from movement. It will start to rust/corrode if you leave it on 24/7 in the winter, but it's easy to clean up if it becomes an issue. $70

Amazon:
    Allen Deluxe 3-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1.25 or 2-Inch Receiver)
    Curt Manufacturing 22315 Anti-Rattle For 1 1/4 In Hollow Shank
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wow that was some read! Thanks for all the input.

Does anyone know if 1UP ships to Canada and what shipping would cost?

Ditto for isi-carriers? That is one sweet looking rack!

For ease of purchase I'll probably get the T2 cause my LBS carries Thule, but would consider the 1UP based on weight.

mtbr member
    Has anyone here been ticketed for obscuring the plate with a hitch rack. I was given a warning the other day by a member of the Kansas Hwy Patrol. Do I need to lose the rack before I get a ticket or did I find a particularly unfriendly policeman?

mtbr member
    Were your bikes on it at the time? I have never been pulled over for mine but have been told by many that police usually won't give you a ticket if there are bikes on the rack. It is when people leave the rack on all of the time and drive around with it folded up blocking the license plate and sometimes even the brake lights, that most of the people I know have been given warnings or tickets.
    This is one reason I LOVE my 1Up USA rack. I rarely use the extension for a second bike, so with the 1 bike rack, even folded up it doesn't cover my plate or lights. It is highly possible that even the extension for a 2nd bike would not block my plate when folded up, but I have never tried it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hitch rack?-dsc04167-small.jpg  

Last edited by tennisfan76; 12-02-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds to me like all the violent crime, all the drug running and every other serious crime must have been wiped out in KS if this is what he had time to do.

I've been running a 1upusa rack for 5+ years and never been stopped. I'd not worry about it. If they stop you again, ask them what other people do because you can't think of a solution.

J.

mtbr member
    Our Hwy Patrol has little else to do. I have had friends in local law enforcement, in dispatch, and in the KBI and the consensus is that these guys are pretty much worthless for any serious crime. Local law enforcement collaborate with the KBI directly so there is little need for the KHP to get involved in these matters. The ones out here in the boonies are generally trainees or they upset someone at the state level and were sent here as punishment. None of them seem to want to be here and they definitely do not have a "community policing" attitude. They are always the last on the scene of an accident, so not much value there either. They also do not answer to anybody at the local level, so unless you have pull in the capitol, they will screw with you just for fun. I have a 120 mile daily commute and have been stopped multiple times for 5 over the speed limit. They made me peel my tint on my last car (the KS limit on tint is the same as the weakest tint available and if your glass has any resistance to light then this will put you over). Basically if you have non factory tint in KS it is illegal. So yup, I will probably get a ticket for having a hitch mount bike rack. I was just hoping that someone here had had the same issue and one so I could quote president. To answer tennis fan, I did have just the rack on the car, but it just has a 2inch bar that is in the way of the tag. I guess that is enough,

ballbuster

I got popped...

Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Has anyone here been ticketed for obscuring the plate with a hitch rack. I was given a warning the other day by a member of the Kansas Hwy Patrol. Do I need to lose the rack before I get a ticket or did I find a particularly unfriendly policeman?
    ... by local city police. The cop thought I was talking on a cell phone, and I wasn't. He popped me for the 'Obscured License Plate' and a crack in my windshield. That was my old XPort Flatbed rack that has a vertical tube. Weird part is the cop said it would have been fine if I had a bike on there. I think the cop didn't know what he was talking about.

My 1Up doesn't have that vertical part

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    That's one of many reasons I like my 1 up rack is even with the rack in upward position you can see clearly the license plate. I have previously had that issue with my kuat nv as it obstructed the license plate. But I am from Kansas City and just recently moved to Colorado and I will say if a ks cop wants to pull you over they will find a way. They really like pulling me over because I have Colorado tags and a beard. Last time they pulled me over for tailing to close. Cop said there was less then 6 car lengths. In the end I got a warning and before he let me go he asked to search my car and I let him just so I could get the **** out of there. That was my last warm welcome into Kansas

meh
    Its a state by state thing, no laws against it in TX

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've never had a problem, but I'd put money on 99% of the time someone gets pulled over for this, it's due to this and something else, like speeding, driving recklessly, "racing" from stops, cracked windshield, broken tail lights, no front license plate (for states that require it) and so on. There are many reasons you can get pulled over, but most responsible people make sure to limit them so they aren't out there way out of compliance with the laws. Some people attract attention by doing one or more of the above, and then wonder why they are "picked on". I also don't drive around with my rack attached with no bike, because that's asking for it. That's a "reason" to get pulled over in most places (obstructing the plate). Don't give reasons. Hitch racks work fine, I take mine off when I'm not using it. The convenience is still great, as well as preserving my vehicle and everything else.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hmmm, not many raxter fan

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Not yet

But I made a harness with velcro'ed on flush -mount LED taillights for safety.

Anywhere to buy something like this already assembled? I'm sure this is easy to do for a normal person but I would probably burn myself and short out my vehicle if I tried. Could you make up some to sell?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by POG View Post
    Anywhere to buy something like this already assembled? I'm sure this is easy to do for a normal person but I would probably burn myself and short out my vehicle if I tried. Could you make up some to sell?
    Not interested, but it's not too hard.... you could do it with crimp connectors if you're not up to a soldering iron?
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
    Loving my ISI advanced rack 4x4
    Attachment 732124
    Also folds down
    Attachment 732125
    Two years ago I contacted ISI about importing their rack here to the USA. They weren't even willing to quote me a price with shipping. While it looks like a fantastic rack, they have chosen to not even compete in the largest world market for their product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy View Post
    Two years ago I contacted ISI about importing their rack here to the USA. They weren't even willing to quote me a price with shipping. While it looks like a fantastic rack, they have chosen to not even compete in the largest world market for their product.
    How is that different than the entry level Xport rack? Performance XPORT Flatbed Bike Hitch Rack Bike Rack Reviews

Rack on frame retention seems kinda hokey, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    QUOTE=racerwad;10055420]How is that different than the entry level Xport rack? Performance XPORT Flatbed Bike Hitch Rack Bike Rack Reviews

Rack on frame retention seems kinda hokey, too.[/QUOTE]

These bike racks are really the only ones made specifically for offroading. They are very heavy duty and in this picture you can see the rising angle of the rack that provides excellent ground clearance and departure angles. They can also be adapted to use where the vehicle has a rear mounted tire carrier, and for use between the vehicle and a trailer. In short, they are a truly bad ass design for off road use. I see what you mean about the rack arm hooking over the frame top tube, but that is just there to keep the bike from bouncing out of the wheel hoops, which support all the weight and side loads during transit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm "meh" for the rack but I love the 110!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I Got a Kuat about 4 months ago. It's the 2 bike tray mount type. Picked it up off Craigslist for 2 bills. It's been great! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Here's my Kuat NV on my VW GTI

Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Has anyone used a Swagman XC 2 on a Subaru Impreza Wagon (mine is an 06 but something like that)? Was wondering how usable the folding down feature is.

mtbr member

This is the rack I've been looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
    Loving my ISI advanced rack 4x4
    Attachment 732124
    Also folds down
    Attachment 732125

And of course you can't by in the US. Grrr....

I'm looking for a rack that will lift the bikes up so they don't interrupt the departure angle and can be folded down out of the way so I can get to my bed in the back of the truck.
    The rack should also be strong enough for the bouncing you get when driving on rough roads and jeep trails.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    And of course you can't by in the US. Grrr....

I'm looking for a rack that will lift the bikes up so they don't interrupt the departure angle and can be folded down out of the way so I can get to my bed in the back of the truck.
    The rack should also be strong enough for the bouncing you get when driving on rough roads and jeep trails.
    Yep, me too. The iSi is perfect for that. I seriously hounded them a while back to try and have them ship one here, but no dice.

There was a guy here on this forum who made his own, very similar to the iSi, said that he could make more, but by then I had already bought my Thule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy View Post
    Yep, me too. The iSi is perfect for that. I seriously hounded them a while back to try and have them ship one here, but no dice.

There was a guy here on this forum who made his own, very similar to the iSi, said that he could make more, but by then I had already bought my Thule.

I just found out I can get a Kuat NV2 for $320 or the Core 2 for $260. I might just go with this due to the cost factor.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I just found out I can get a Kuat NV2 for $320 or the Core 2 for $260. I might just go with this due to the cost factor.
    Where are you finding these prices? Id pick up a Kuat in a heartbeat at that price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: best hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Where are you finding these prices? Id pick up a Kuat in a heartbeat at that price.
    Yes please share!! I will be purchasing one next month.

On a side note, any get any crap from their dealers for putting a hitch on a car that's not suppose to have a hitch? My dealer told me technically the STi doesn't support a hitch.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast