Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

K_W
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Best car trailer hitch brand for paint durability?

I am going with a hitch mounted rack for the new car. Especially since I am getting a rack for free. :-)

All brands of hitch for this car are of the same basic design. The biggest difference I can see there being will be paint quality and durability.

Which brands hold up best?
    Last edited by K_W; 1 Week Ago at 07:16 PM.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    The basic frame will probably outlast the car it's attached to.

K_W
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yes the metal should, if the paint does, which is my question.

Slow
    Jan 2011
    The paint on all hitches is garbage. Sandblast the factory paint off and put on some POR-15.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you live in a very corrosive area , $2 can of paint and a wire brush is your friend. Not hard to do touch up once and a while

K_W
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    I went with Curt. It will be here Tuesday.

I am in the salt belt, yet I plan to have this car for 10 years, and the hitch with it.

I want it to keep everything looking nice as long as possible, so I will paint over it with epoxy chip resistant paint and seal the hitch and frame mating surfaces with RTV to prevent rust between them.
    Last edited by K_W; 1 Week Ago at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I live in a salty state and share your aggravation by how quickly hitches rust out. I find Curt to be the best, but they're still only 3-4 years of WI winter. I wish they sold hitches with real corrosion protection rather than just powder coat.

I spray Fluid Film on my hitches a couple times/year and keeps things from getting really bad.
    Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor | Fluid Film® Sales USA
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    I live in a salty state and share your aggravation by how quickly hitches rust out.
    Same here. They all stink in salt belt states.

For my most recent Hidden-Hitch/Drawtite/Uhaul hitch, I removed the stickers, scuffed the paint, and squirted several coats of rustolium satin black on it. No rust spots in two winters, but it's only a matter of time.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    For my most recent Hidden-Hitch/Drawtite/Uhaul hitch, I removed the stickers, scuffed the paint, and squirted several coats of rustolium satin black on it. No rust spots in two winters, but it's only a matter of time.
    I'll also add, that I've never gotten a mail order hitch that was packed well enough to not be banged up down to bare metal in spots, so you might want to plan on painting anyway...
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you truly want it to last the life of the car maybe look to see if anyone near you does galvanizing? Probably unrealistic cost and work though. Find out what boat trailer people do. Prob generous coats of heavy grease at junctions. I'm not sure how well RTV will work, not to mention that most RTV itself is corrosive while its curing, acetic acid in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just picked up a hidden hitch for my Volvo XC90 and plan on painting it with some truck bed liner rubberized paint before I install it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    The paint on all hitches is garbage. Sandblast the factory paint off and put on some POR-15.
    Yup, POR15. I have not found any other paint that lasts half as long. I painted a Da'lan hitch after it started rusting, and the POR15 was still looking good about four years later when I sold the car. And I live in southeast Michigan, where the inches of salt put on the roads usually exceeds the inches of snowfall.