Thread: Audi Avant

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Audi Avant

Why is there no thread with Audi Avants? They are AWD, low, and sporty. With a bike rack on the roof, they become even cooler.
    A4s, A6s, Allroads, even A3s. Any Audi Station Wagon of any kind can be discussed on this thread.
    2013 Audi Allroad
    Audi Avant-img_3618.jpg
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Why is there no thread with Audi Avants?
    Because they are becoming extinct for the US market, sorta like the front derailleur.

How many current Avants in the 2013 lineup for Audi? Just the B8 A4 based Allroad which IMO is too $$$ for what it offers, especially since we get no DSG type transmission for it here unlike Europe, or even a TDI variant. It doesn't even come with an air suspension anymore. That to me is no Allroad, just a lifted A4 with extra fender cladding. Nothing will beat the C6 Allroad. That wagon to me is a classic design, still looks fresh on the road today.

Europe still sees the A6 based Allroad which we've never gotten, plus they can still order the A4 or S4 in Avant trim as well. The A4 Avant stopped being offered here in 2012, the S4 Avant with the introduction of the B8 platform in the USAi. Not too mention the RS4 and RS6 Avants.

Americans love their SUVs. Why do they fail to see the success of wagons overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Because they are becoming extinct for the US market, sorta like the front derailleur.

How many current Avants in the 2013 lineup for Audi? Just the B8 A4 based Allroad which IMO is too $$$ for what it offers, especially since we get no DSG type transmission for it here unlike Europe, or even a TDI variant. It doesn't even come with an air suspension anymore. That to me is no Allroad, just a lifted A4 with extra fender cladding. Nothing will beat the C6 Allroad. That wagon to me is a classic design, still looks fresh on the road today.

Europe still sees the A6 based Allroad which we've never gotten, plus they can still order the A4 or S4 in Avant trim as well. The A4 Avant stopped being offered here in 2012, the S4 Avant with the introduction of the B8 platform in the USAi. Not too mention the RS4 and RS6 Avants.

Americans love their SUVs. Why do they fail to see the success of wagons overseas?
    I agree with what you say, but as there are Honda threads and Subaru threads, why should not there be an Audi Avant thread?

Forth Eorlingas!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Maybe we should have a Volvo and Kia thread too.
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

YES, Volvo and SAAB, but no Kia.

Forth Eorlingas!

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Why is there no thread with Audi Avants? They are AWD, low, and sporty. With a bike rack on the roof, they become even cooler.
    A4s, A6s, Allroads, even A3s. Any Audi Station Wagon of any kind can be discussed on this thread.
    2013 Audi Allroad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3618.jpg 
Views:	2106 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	804605
    I think there is already a Volkswagon thread.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would love an avant, but they are damn near impossible to find in MT and i would walk before buying an automatic. (and those shiftable automatics are the biggest buch of bull **** on a stick ever). The A versions are slow, and the S versions are too damn expensive.

Therefore I drive a GTI

ballbuster
    I love my wife's Avant. We were looking for a Passat wagon at the time, but everything out there was high mileage, trashed and overpriced. I found this '99 Avant in great shape with 1.8t and 5MT with 130k miles on it for $5500 out the door at a used car lot. My wife works from home, so we figured that at 4k miles a year, we would get 5-8 years out of it. We're now 4 years into it, and it's been solid.

When we got it, I loved it so much I dumped my GTi and got an A4 sedan. We're looking out for another Avant for an upgrade next year.

But yeah, MT Avants are disappearing in this country. They stopped importing them after 2007. I've seen a few come across craigslist, but they are fairly rare.

As far as the A4s being slow, I disagree. Ours is stock with the 150hp 1.8t engine and it feels plenty peppy, while returning 30 mpg. My A4 sedan (b6) runs 170hp stock, but I got it chipped to 205hp, and it's way faster than I ever need, and I drive pretty heavy footed. I was seriously tempted to chip the Avant, but I really don't want to sink real money into upgrades on it, being at 175k miles at the moment.

So, our Avant is basically stock, except when we had the clutch done, we put in a lightweight flywheel and sport clutch (basically because it was $400 less than the stock clutch), I upgraded the lights to Depo Angel Eye lights with projector HID bulbs because the stock lighting sucked so bad, and I got a smoking deal on some later VW Eos 17" rims with 45 aspect tires. I would love to do the suspension from the stock mushy springs, but like I said, I don't wanna sink money into this car unnecessarily. Maybe if a shock blows, I'll do some sport springs and shocks.

You can chip the car for like $400, and it bumps it up to 200-ish hp with no other mods... and it's pretty dang safe. If you track the car and don't cool the turbo down properly before you shut the engine down, you'll run into trouble. Heh... a chipped 1.8t or 2.0t puts out more power than the V6, and keeps the better gas mileage. The V6, there isn't much power to be had by chipping it.

Off to Sea Otter!

Plus, this Avant has the funk. Gotta have that funk.

And who needs a pickup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    I would love an avant, but they are damn near impossible to find in MT and i would walk before buying an automatic. (and those shiftable automatics are the biggest buch of bull **** on a stick ever). The A versions are slow, and the S versions are too damn expensive.

Therefore I drive a GTI
    the B7 A4 Avant is the last generation for a manual transmission.

All B8 and newer A4 Avants are automatic only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post

Its a damn shame. I love a quick, stick shift Euro wagon.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5