mtbr member
    Oct 2006

anyone use a bike beam?

anyone use one of these bike beams for a hitch mounted rack? http://www.saris.com/p-170-bike-beam.aspx
    what do you think?

Was that a Bobcat?
    I use to use the performance brand version of the beam on my hitch rack. I was always a little concerned about the seatpost slipping on large road bumps. I ended up getting a flatbed hitch rack just for my peace of mind. For the short time that I used the beam I had no problems though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Has anyone else used one? I'm a little concerned as well that the seat post might slip. Has anyone noticed a slight slip in the post after getting to their destination? What's the thing made of? It looks like it's a rubber band that expands. Any more info will be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i actually ended up with the yakima version and definatly recomend it. in conjuntion with some bugees it works great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just looked up the Yakima tube top and it looks a whole lot more solid then the saris bike beam. I think I'm gonna go with that one instead. Thanks dude.

Hi!!!
    I've used the Yakima version for the past couple of years and haven't had any issues with it.