mtbr member
    Oct 2006

anyone use a bike beam?

anyone use one of these bike beams for a hitch mounted rack? http://www.saris.com/p-170-bike-beam.aspx
    what do you think?

Was that a Bobcat?
    I use to use the performance brand version of the beam on my hitch rack. I was always a little concerned about the seatpost slipping on large road bumps. I ended up getting a flatbed hitch rack just for my peace of mind. For the short time that I used the beam I had no problems though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Has anyone else used one? I'm a little concerned as well that the seat post might slip. Has anyone noticed a slight slip in the post after getting to their destination? What's the thing made of? It looks like it's a rubber band that expands. Any more info will be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i actually ended up with the yakima version and definatly recomend it. in conjuntion with some bugees it works great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just looked up the Yakima tube top and it looks a whole lot more solid then the saris bike beam. I think I'm gonna go with that one instead. Thanks dude.

Hi!!!
    I've used the Yakima version for the past couple of years and haven't had any issues with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0