mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Anyone travel with a trunk rack?

Recently while traveling, I wanted to rent a pair of bikes. Unfortunately, unless you have a truck or large SUV as your car rental, it's hard to haul two bikes. I wondered about getting a trunk rack for the sole purpose of traveling with it to haul rental bikes during trips. My priorities would be that it could be disassembled enough that it could fit into a suit case or duffel and to be relatively light for air travel. Anyone ever do this?

mtbr member
    SeaSucker maybe?
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    I use a trunk rack all the time. Hate them, but a trunk rack is all I've got right now. It's never occurred to me to try and put one into a suitcase and fly w/it. Mine does fold more or less flat though, so I suppose it's possible.

FWIW, trunk racks work best on classic-styled bikes having straight and level top tubes. Think classic, diamond frames. Full-suspension bikes are difficult, and I end up often having to improvise some sort of positioning that the rack manufacturer probably did not have in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thought about the seasucker. Looks like they only fit 9mm quick release without the use of adapters for 15mm (boost/non-boost)? Still might jump on one if I could find it for a good price. Definitely fulfills the ease of mobility requirement.

Fortunately, I'll most likely be hauling for only a few miles at a time at relatively slow speeds. I'm hoping I could find a way to mount a couple full suspension bikes and tie them down sufficiently for a short drive. I was looking at the Saris bones series....wondering if all the arms can be slid off the main tube for complete disassembly?

mtbr member
    Could you trust it to carry 2 bikes at freeway speeds (70+ MPH right hand lane)?

I did read you're flying (somewhere) and assume you'd rent a car and the bikes locally. Reasonable to also assume you'll then drive, say, 1/2 hour to get away from the airport/city/urban jungle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hollywood Racks F4 Heavy Duty 4-Bike seems like a good choice. It can carry up to 4 bikes and you can fold it flat, easy to store. And I read some reviews on Amazon that it fits kids male and female bikes. Some racks have issues with female bikes.
    Hope it helps
    http://recrostorage.com

mtbr member
    Many years ago, I used to travel to far away places and I had no idea how good a rental vehicle I was going to get, especially when saying compact. So I used to throw a trunk rack in to my bike case (they weren't so picky about weight back then). I hated a trunk rack but it was the best bet when I arrived and had to carry 2 or so bikes.

Today I just bite the bullet and rent a mini van. Costs more but boy it's nice when having to haul the bike AND the gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    Recently while traveling, I wanted to rent a pair of bikes. Unfortunately, unless you have a truck or large SUV as your car rental, it's hard to haul two bikes. I wondered about getting a trunk rack for the sole purpose of traveling with it to haul rental bikes during trips. My priorities would be that it could be disassembled enough that it could fit into a suit case or duffel and to be relatively light for air travel. Anyone ever do this?
    Having traveled for years for business and rented a lot of cars, you might want to check with the rental car company first. There's a reason that contract is all full of small print.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    2x seasucker talon = expensive but easy enough to pack. yes, works at 70mph+ no problem. if you just had 1 bike and could be sure of a vertical-enough rear (e.g. hatchback) you could get a hornet.

if you buy direct from them they'll probably swap in a 15mm ta mount intead of a 9mm qr if that's what you prefer. or get that part separately from them or elsewhere-- it's just a piece which bolts on to the plastic base. i think it was a delta mount, even if it's not it probably has the same spacing.

mtbr member
    A lot of places that rent bikes also rent racks for this very purpose (your situation is common with basically everyone else that rents mountain bikes).

for the price of 2 seasucker racks... I'd probably just buy a $50 trunk rack at my destination every time I traveled and give it away before I left. You could do that 10-12 times before it would cost more than the seasucker.