Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bikeboatbrewski

Anyone have a North Shore 4 bike rack

Just got a Toyota 4R and was wondering if anyone here can tell their experience with the ns-4?

I emailed NS and finally got a reply from them that it will work with my vehicle but also would like to hear from real world folks before I pony up that much cash.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I have an NSR-6 an use it on my '11 4-Runner with no issues. It's easily the best MTB rack on the market, by such a great distance that I feel bad for other racks and don't even much bother to post in this forum and wave it in their faces. heh

Fast loading, no damage, completely stable at high speeds over rough terrain.

A couple friends have sold off their T2/Hookups since seeing the NSR in person. One of those is using the NSR-4 on an Acura MDX and works great. The biggest drawback to using any 4-bike rack on an SUV is that SUV's tend to have soft, comfy suspension for passengers and highway miles which leads to sag under a load of heavy bikes. My pickup carries 6 bikes with ease, my 4-Runner rides a little low in the back with 6 bikes and associated people and gear.

Shots of my rack on my pickup:

From the side, on an SUV, the rack tilts back incrementally to allow the bikes to clear the back door-

6 bikes loaded up, note how high they sit, keeping road debris from sandblasting or mud from caking the bikes ->

The tail lights are somewhat obscured with 6 bikes but not nearly as much as this picture suggests due to the wide angle of the lens used in this shot ->

FWIW, I have no affiliation with North Shore Racks and paid full retail like everyone else.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This will be the rack I order, now that my truck has a shell on it. No doubt.

bikeboatbrewski
    Thanks Err!

bikeboatbrewski
    I just got the email that they have the 4 & 6 bike racks in stock, pulled that trigger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Only thing that comes to mind looking at that pic is: "Taste the rainbow"

code: mtbr2011
    not sure what's worth more, the truck or the cargo. nice quiver...

bikeboatbrewski
    Finally got my rack and put it together today.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    oh man I want one of those...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have had mine for over a year now and will stay with NSR for as long as I am transporting bikes. It is too easy and secure to go elsewhere. I also recently changed cars from a Jeep wrangler toa Mazda Speed3 and was able to make all the adjustments I wanted to make it fit the different profile of the back of the 3. Awesome rack, highly reccomend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Worth noting that I believe you can only transport mountain bikes, is that not correct?

J.

oh crap...
    This is making me reconsider the purchase of a Thule 917 T2 that I can get used for $225. Which direction do you guys think I should go? Like J80 reminded us...I've got a Salsa Vaya, along with my FS 29er and many other types of bikes friends of mine have that I could potentially haul around. Do you think I'll have trouble with the Vaya?
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I believe it's the fork spacing that is the issue.

North Shore Racks

ask
    user
    Anyone have any trouble with their hydrolic brakes after hanging the bike vertically? I suspect I have an air bubble in the lines, as every time I hang my bike vertically the brakes are spongey until I cycle then a few times. I know I probably just need to bleed them, but I am wondering if this type of rack will make the problem worse or magnify it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Is there any possibility that really lightweight xc bikes will bounce out? My friends have some 21lbs full susp full carbon rigs, and I'm paranoid about being responsible for them in transport....

mtbr member
    I'd think if the bike is properly tied down at the rear wheel you should be ok. If you are concerned, use a strap (like a Surly Junk Strap) at the head tube mount.
    I plan on picking up one of these shortly. I have a Kuat NV today, but am selling due to it does not work that well with my Fat Bike. The NSR should solve my current woes.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    My Truth is about 24 lbs, and I have no issues. I usually run a bungee around the front wheel to keep it from spinning; the other goes around the rear wheel/rack for my piece of mind (though not really neccessary).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i think this may be the rack i go with now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Are there any bikes that cause a problem for these racks? They really seem ideal. Was thinking about the Kuat NV, not so much now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Road bikes seem to be a problem, as the crown design is more narrow on the fork.

mtbr member
    Yep... any bike with a narrow crowned fork... my wife's hybrid bike does not fit, nor my son's BMX bike. However both of my son's XS mountain bikes fit very well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quick question for you guys with this rack -
    Is it possible to fit a kid's bike? 16" or 20" wheel with BMX style fork?

I figure with some ingenuity (duct tape, ratchet, bungies etc) I could get it to work. I'd like one to carry both my bikes and my kiddos' bikes, but I'm not sure if it will work.

I know it will obviously NOT reach the lower support, I can work around that - it is the upper support/fork crown interface that makes me ask.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I can fit my son's Gary Fisher Pre-Cal with 20" wheels on the rack as it has a fairly large fork crown. His Trek with 24" wheels also fits very well... again, it has a large crown.
    As mentioned, my son's Haro BMX bike, which has a narrow fork crown, will not fit.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    I can fit my son's Gary Fisher Pre-Cal with 20" wheels on the rack as it has a fairly large fork crown. His Trek with 24" wheels also fits very well... again, it has a large crown.
    As mentioned, my son's Haro BMX bike, which has a narrow fork crown, will not fit.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I see they disclaim it is hit&miss on the site, but they say they've fit 12" and 20" bikes on there.

I figure, worst comes to worst, I can hang the wheel thru the hooks and rig something to pull the kids bike to the center mast (for lack of better term). Thinking two adult bikes on the outside, kids in the middle, or something like that. With all those mounting points, it has to be pretty easily rigged.

mtbr member
    Get a six pack of Surly Junk Straps, they will be your best friend. They do a great job of tying anything down.
    You'll love the rack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast