Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone have the new Fiesta ST yet?

Just picked up a '14 Fiesta ST a couple weeks ago and lovin it. Only issue is I can't seem to decide on a good rack option. Anyone install a hitch on one of these cars yet? I'm curious if clearance is an issue at all. I'd rather not go the roof rack option if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Did you get a rack yet?

mtbr member
    OneUp USA racks work great on these cars. Modular and low profile.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    Did you get a rack yet?
    Had uhaul install a hitch a couple days ago. Fits great but the exhaust on this car moves around A LOT while driving apparently and the muffler bangs into the hitch while cornering or hitting bumpy roads. I'll be looking into modifying the exhaust somehow as there is no way in hell I'm sending back the 1up rack I just got

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a soft spot in my heart for Fiestas. First car I ever drove was a 78 bright yellow Fiesta, sport model no less.

The new ones tug at my nostalgia strings hard. What color did you go with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Had uhaul install a hitch a couple days ago. Fits great but the exhaust on this car moves around A LOT while driving apparently and the muffler bangs into the hitch while cornering or hitting bumpy roads. I'll be looking into modifying the exhaust somehow as there is no way in hell I'm sending back the 1up rack I just got

Try stiffer exhaust hangers. I know Cobb Tuning is dabbing into FiST tuning, maybe they are offering some.

BTW, do you have Recaros?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by natehack View Post
    I have a soft spot in my heart for Fiestas. First car I ever drove was a 78 bright yellow Fiesta, sport model no less.

The new ones tug at my nostalgia strings hard. What color did you go with?
    Heh, it's too bad the new ones can't hold a candle to those. I had a 79 Sport and that thing was a blast! Super fun little rally car that rocked on twisty dirt roads and for everyday driving you had to flog it to get under 35mpg. Too bad it had all the typical German electronic gremlins from the '70's

mtbr member

Stiffer exhaust hangers, good idea I'll give it a shot. Definitely the easiest option if it works. And a Cobb tuner is definitely on my radar. Love this little car so far. Handles great and really gets going when that turbo spools up! I traded my 2013 mustang and honestly think this car is more fun to drive. Went with black and no on the recaros. Sort of wish I got them but the base seats are pretty nice too

mtbr member
    lets see pics
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member

I've been eyeing this car. Looks like a blast!

mtbr member
    I really like the looks of it. But my co-workers tell me it's too small and it's a younger persons car. Lol

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    I really like the looks of it. But my co-workers tell me it's too small and it's a younger persons car. Lol
    You'd be surprised. I'm on a fiesta forum and a majority of the guys on there are older than me, I'm 33. Besides, who cares what others think? If you like it that's all that matters

mtbr member

You'd be surprised. I'm on a fiesta forum and a majority of the guys on there are older than me, I'm 33. Besides, who cares what others think? If you like it that's all that matters

How's the MPG on that little sucker?

I like turtles
    Really want to drive one. Currently in a '13 Focus manual HB which is a great little car...drove the ST and it was cool but just not my thing. The Fiesta looks cool but is is a little small....need to drive it.

Why not a roof rack?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

Averaging 30.9 MPG so far in mixed driving. It'll do better once broken in and I stop driving it like a rally car 😉. As to why no roof rack, basically I'm a clutz and it would only be a matter of time before I pulled into the garage with the bike up there. Plus I don't like the MPG loss

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Would a smaller exhaust be a solution? Maybe good time to upgrade? I like those Fiestas as well.

mtbr member

Victory! Had my exhaust shop weld up a firmer hanger and all is well. Cost 40 bucks. Had to go celebrate with a ride 😉

mtbr member
    That really puts into perspective how small these things are, wow. I'm either getting a FiST or VW JSW to replace my WRX wagon this year.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    That really puts into perspective how small these things are, wow. I'm either getting a FiST or VW JSW to replace my WRX wagon this year.
    Haha yeah and the bike is just a medium size frame stumpy fsr, next to the car it looks like an XL downhill rig 😉. Surprisingly a lot of room inside though. Just took my two dogs on a 700 mile trip and we were all comfy.

mtbr member
    Nice looking in the black. I like the bright green buts it's a $595 option

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm sure the camera angle is not helping, either. They're not *that* small, especially compared to what Fiesta's used to be sized. It's just all others cars have gotten so bloated and big.

mtbr member
    Same size as a Honda Fit

Did I catch a niner+?
    Same size as a fit? Wow.

Did you test a Focus Hatchback at all while looking at the Fiesta? I am not a big fan of the new Focus styling on the inside, the center console is just too wide and even at 5' 10" my knees are squished together (more leg than torso though).

I've sat in a sedan Fiesta and I really do like the car and think it is a better option than a Focus, which they would have just gone estate car with the Focus instead of hot hatch.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Same size as a fit? Wow.

Did you test a Focus Hatchback at all while looking at the Fiesta? I am not a big fan of the new Focus styling on the inside, the center console is just too wide and even at 5' 10" my knees are squished together (more leg than torso though).

I've sat in a sedan Fiesta and I really do like the car and think it is a better option than a Focus, which they would have just gone estate car with the Focus instead of hot hatch.
    I drove a Focus right after driving the Fiesta. Not bad but the Fiesta was just more fun and I was comfy driving it, I'm 5'11"

I like turtles

Re: Anyone have the new Fiesta ST yet?

Here is my Focus...drove a ST but it was a bit more than I wanted for a 2 hour daily commute. Love the small Fords.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    thanks for the pics guys,
    when my lifted jeep wrangler bites the dust I am looking at a fiesta or focus
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here is my ST. Believe it or not, it's a year old with 95k miles on it. The car has been tuned since the first week, is pretty fast for a 4, and has been really solid.

Still waiting on my frame so I can post it up with the bike on the back. They just started making hitches for this car because of the center exhaust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have the new Fiesta ST yet?-dsc00265.jpg  

I like turtles
    ^^^Nice ST! I really like those rims...are they the stock rims plastidipped? I drove one and just couldn't bring myself to buy it vs. the regular SE for my 2 hours a day I commute. A bit too stiff/loud..but man....it is FUN to drive!

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    thanks for the pics guys,
    when my lifted jeep wrangler bites the dust I am looking at a fiesta or focus
    They are really great little cars...Ford seems to have finally "gotten" w/r to building good small cars. On the Focus, I went with a manual..the DCT (auto) has been problematic for some so do your homework.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ^^^Nice ST! I really like those rims...are they the stock rims plastidipped? I drove one and just couldn't bring myself to buy it vs. the regular SE for my 2 hours a day I commute. A bit too stiff/loud..but man....it is FUN to drive!
    Yes, stock and dipped. It makes driving 350m a day tolerable. The car is good but man do I hate Ford. They will do whatever it takes to not honor warrantee work. Traded a 2012 VW GTI in on the ST and VW is miles ahead in customer service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valrico-B View Post
    Yes, stock and dipped. It makes driving 350m a day tolerable. The car is good but man do I hate Ford. They will do whatever it takes to not honor warrantee work. Traded a 2012 VW GTI in on the ST and VW is miles ahead in customer service.
    What didn't you like about your MK6? That's another car on my list to look at. It's definitely not better on gas as the GTI? What problems have you had with your Ford and warranty claims?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What didn't you like about your MK6? That's another car on my list to look at. It's definitely not better on gas as the GTI? What problems have you had with your Ford and warranty claims?

I started to put a lot of miles on the GTI and started to realize you can't just take a VW anywhere to get worked on. At 45k on the GTI the fuel pump went bad. It would have cost me 1500$ if not for drivetrain warrantee. I also changed the rims and lowered the car and started to feel silly driving it as a 45 year old! Loved the car, also tuned and also fast. Wanted to try something else. Going to look at a new one or maybe a WRX soon.

The only real issue I had with the ST is the sunroof exploded on me one day. Only had 25k on the car at the time and Ford said sorry...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have the new Fiesta ST yet?-roof.jpg  

Anyone have the new Fiesta ST yet?-dsc00046.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here is my ST. Believe it or not, it's a year old with 95k miles on it...
    95k miles at a year old??!!! 350 miles per day??? That's a LOT of seat time!

Also, wondering what issues you had with the car.

Edit: you answered as I was posting, I guess. Sucks about the sunroof and Ford's reluctance to honor their warranty...

I like turtles
    So they didn't cover it? Honestly though...would you cover that if someone came in with that? Hard to prove that it was a defect even if it was.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah it is a lot of driving. I drive time sensitive medical samples.

The ST really has been pretty solid for me. I've changed the oil, brakes, and tires. The normal Focus has issues. 2 others that do the same as me have them and both need transmissions and one also needed a rack and pinion.

I have been a Ford guy all my life. Blew an engine in a Sport-trac some years back, 18 miles out of warranty (still under drive train) and Ford wouldn't help. They wanted 14k for an engine on a truck I paid 17k for brand new. Geico stepped up and fixed it for 250. Geico also changed the sun roof. I swore I would never own another Ford and then they put out the ST, damn them.

mtbr member

Update: After doing a few trips with the bike on the rack, I've noticed that on the freeway it bounces up and down a little bit. Turns out it isn't the rack but it's the actual receiver flexing a little bit. Uhaul said its fine but I'm not sure. One bike and a rack shouldn't cause that thing to flex. What do you folks think? Is it ok?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [QUOTE=Skeeter97;10992996]Update: After doing a few trips with the bike on the rack, I've noticed that on the freeway it bounces up and down a little bit. Turns out it isn't the rack but it's the actual receiver flexing a little bit. Uhaul said its fine but I'm not sure. One bike and a rack shouldn't cause that thing to flex. What do you folks think? Is it ok?

Doesn't sound right to me man. Can you take a picture of it? I haven't mounted mine yet but it is really burly. I would think it has some movement between the rack and hitch. You should be able to move it by hand and maybe you can see where the issue is. I have never seen a hitch move at all.

Post this on one of the ST sites also. Maybe someone has the same issue. Good luck, nice looking car!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Blew an engine in a Sport-trac some years back, 18 miles out of warranty (still under drive train) and Ford wouldn't help. They wanted 14k for an engine on a truck I paid 17k for brand new.
    how could an engine possibly cost $14k??? were you going to put a Ferrari engine into it?
    whatever...

mtbr member

[QUOTE=Valrico-B;10993188]
    Update: After doing a few trips with the bike on the rack, I've noticed that on the freeway it bounces up and down a little bit. Turns out it isn't the rack but it's the actual receiver flexing a little bit. Uhaul said its fine but I'm not sure. One bike and a rack shouldn't cause that thing to flex. What do you folks think? Is it ok?

Doesn't sound right to me man. Can you take a picture of it? I haven't mounted mine yet but it is really burly. I would think it has some movement between the rack and hitch. You should be able to move it by hand and maybe you can see where the issue is. I have never seen a hitch move at all.

Post this on one of the ST sites also. Maybe someone has the same issue. Good luck, nice looking car!
    Definitely the hitch flexing a bit. I can push down on the bike rack and see the receiver flexing away from the bumper. Granted its a very small amount of movement but still. Took it to a hitch shop and he also said not to worry. Just sort of blows dropping 350 bucks on a top of the line bike rack and still have to deal with bouncing

mtbr member
    Why not just use a stabilizer strap? It was recommended to use one by Curt when I bought my hitch and read the instructions and although I've been shunned in the 1UP thread by the use of it, I still use it every time I haul my bikes. Without it the rack with 2 bikes liked to sway a bit on rough roads and road dips, but now with the stabilizer strap, I can drive without a worry about it ever swaying an inch. Puts my OCD at rest lol.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about (btw both of those bikes are long gone)

konahonzo

mtbr member

Yeah that strap would work. I'm a little upset that it flexes like that with just one bike but oh well. Thanks for the idea I appreciate it

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Why not just use a stabilizer strap? It was recommended to use one by Curt when I bought my hitch and read the instructions and although I've been shunned in the 1UP thread by the use of it, I still use it every time I haul my bikes. Without it the rack with 2 bikes liked to sway a bit on rough roads and road dips, but now with the stabilizer strap, I can drive without a worry about it ever swaying an inch.
    +1

Ha ha about the 1up thread grief! I got crap in that thread for the exact same thing. The fact is: some cars need it. The strap is simple enough to use that it doesn't bother me. I attach mine from the top of the liftgate to the bike itself (typically the stem or seatpost). Not sure it makes much difference where you connect to.

Curt Trailer Hitch Support Strap - Bike Rack Strap with Cambuckle Curt Accessories and Parts 18050
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks like that would scratch up the paint. Maybe lay down some 3M if you don't want scratches.

mtbr member

Curious how many people with the 1up have a little "bouncing" with their bikes loaded. I'm just too lazy to read that 5 million post thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Looks like that would scratch up the paint. Maybe lay down some 3M if you don't want scratches.
    There's three layers of 3M Blue painters tape underneath the strap on the spoiler. Subaru paint is shitty as is, and I would prefer not to have a semi permanent attachment of a single clear bar strip on the spoiler. I usually replace the tape a couple times a season but I leave it on after the rack is off lol.

Curious how many people with the 1up have a little "bouncing" with their bikes loaded. I'm just too lazy to read that 5 million post thread

Not many. I figure add the strap and limit the stress on the hitch itself cause once it starts bouncing around, it takes a few seconds to settle and it just looks extreme in the rear view mirror. I'm sure the bouncing looks less severe from behind than it actually is. With the strap, the "bounce" is almost eliminated 99% of the time. The road would have to be extreme or I would have to be hauling ass to replicate its bounciness before when I added the strap.
    konahonzo

ballbuster
    Victory! Had my exhaust shop weld up a firmer hanger and all is well. Cost 40 bucks. Had to go celebrate with a ride 

Nice work! Looks swank!

I have a 1Up on my A4. It bounces a bit. No big deal. It's way solid. I would be more concerned about the hitch, and who installed it, and how good a job they did. I've seen some cars develop cracks around the mounting bolts. Big Larry had issues on his Subie, IIRC.

The primary issue with my car is that it's really frickin low, and has a lot of rear overhang. On occasion, the rack drags on driveway ramps pretty badly. I'm worried about holding up the entire weight of the rear end with the rack through the hitch. I guess the thing to do is just inspect it closely once a month to see if cracks develop.

mtbr member

Re: Anyone have the new Fiesta ST yet?

There's three layers of 3M Blue painters tape underneath the strap on the spoiler. Subaru paint is shitty as is, and I would prefer not to have a semi permanent attachment of a single clear bar strip on the spoiler. I usually replace the tape a couple times a season but I leave it on after the rack is off lol.

Not many. I figure add the strap and limit the stress on the hitch itself cause once it starts bouncing around, it takes a few seconds to settle and it just looks extreme in the rear view mirror. I'm sure the bouncing looks less severe from behind than it actually is. With the strap, the "bounce" is almost eliminated 99% of the time. The road would have to be extreme or I would have to be hauling ass to replicate its bounciness before when I added the strap.
    Try the 3m clear bra stuff. You can barely see it. Not sure who told you It's permanent. It's not. Works very well.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    TiGeo, you didn't like the Focus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    With 2 bikes, mine gets "bouncy" on my car (Sonic hatch), but the same setup is fine on my wife's car (Vibe). It's the car/hitch, not the rack/bikes. The strap makes it fine on my car, and there's a thick elastomer on the clamp, so it doesn't scratch the paint.
    whatever...

mtbr member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll just keep watching it for now to see if my OCD is making it seem worse than it really is. Will no doubt get a strap if I add a second bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast