mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Any suggestions on bike bags/carriers for autos?

I am looking for a bike carrier bag to put my bikes inside the vehicle so they can be locked up or possibly a carrier that goes on top (I have stock racks attached already for storage--Toyota Highlander). Just putting them on a rack on top of course means they are subject to damage and theft more easily.

Any ideas on how to carry bikes? I am not looking for an air transport carrier at least not now although I did look at the Ultra bag and what looks to be Chain Reactions stock brand carrier for about $30 cheaper (although its shipped from the UK). Doesn't seem to be any competing models here in the US that are as good for the price. (the Ultra is about $150 shipped while the Chain's brand is about $120 shipped).

I like the idea of once of those hard shell carriers that go on top of the car but they all look like they are too narrow for a bike frame and then you have the problem of having to wrap everything up. Just curious what most people here are doing to transport bikes by car which keeps them concealed from weather and possible theft?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bump

code: mtbr2011
    thule makes the roundtrip travel bike case, and sells additional hardware so that you can attach it to a roof rack.
    sounds like what you are looking for.
    http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...ies/16296.aspx
    the RFM is the accessory that attaches it to the roofrack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    thule makes the roundtrip travel bike case, and sells additional hardware so that you can attach it to a roof rack.
    sounds like what you are looking for.
    http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...ies/16296.aspx
    the RFM is the accessory that attaches it to the roofrack.
    Thanks but that's a lot more than I am willing to spend--I don't travel with the bikes that often to justify 3 or 4 hundred dollars--I am looking for something for $100 or so. I could always use the Thule Roof racks at $199 for the double--my only concern with that is again they are easily stolen.