mtbr member
    May 2010

any other way to lock hitch bike rack?

I have a Yakima Kingpin and I saw that yakima sells a hitchlock for $30. It with the same cheap lock and was wondering if there are other alternative to lock the rack to the hitch?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep.

Cables n chains.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I route my long cable through all the bike frames, bike rack, and through the loop on my hitch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Uno View Post
    I route my long cable through all the bike frames, bike rack, and through the loop on my hitch.
    same here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Owning a 1 Up is a good answer to that question.

Drunken fool
    Just about all the rack manufacturers built in locks are just for looks, you could jam a screwdriver in them and twist them open. I use cable locks to secure the bikes to the rack and to discourage thieves and hope they will move on to an easier target. To lock the rack to the hitch I just drilled out a standard hitch pin so that I could use a master lock. Other than that, there is not a whole lot you can do to ward off a determined thief.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My T2 on my jeep wrangler I used the Thule hitch lock and then ran two long cable locks through the frames of both bikes and around the bumper. Sure someone could have still stole the bikes but they'd have to cut two heavy cables and a hitch lock.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]