mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Any Origin 8 bike block fork mount users out there?

Considering mounting a couple of these in my truck. Looking for feedback re: how well they work with with9mm and 15mm forks. Easy to swap adapters? Products Description – ORIGIN-8

urmb ]-
    Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
    Theodore Roethke

mtbr member
    I haven't seen this before, looks like a pretty cool design. I'd imagine that it's fairly easy to swap adapters. How often would you be changing them around? My only suggestion would be to cover the internals with a light layer of grease. If you leave any type of fork block out in the weather it will rust up quickly. Post of some pictures if you get one. I'm interested to see how it will do. That will be on my list if/when I get a bike with a thru-axle.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    I am looking at purchasing some fork mounts for my Silverado and these would be sweet if they are quality. I have been doing some research and "cam length" seems to be an issue with cheaper mounts. If no one has origin8 advice, how about what mount you would get? Thule's look pretty nice to me????

mtbr member
    Currently using one of these stainless steel jobs off ebay, works OK but the length is a tad short I think as the fork can flop off it, not snug like the hub is (although once the QR bolt is in its all good).

Ordered one of the Origin8 units this past weekend so I can just use one adapter, my singlespeed has 9mm QR, RIP9 has the 15mm, have to keep 2 fork mounts in the rack. I'll post a mini-review when it comes in.

Bike Carrier Fork Mount Type Adapter to Mount A Bike with 15 mm Axle to Anything | eBay
    Last edited by socal_jack; 03-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jack, I am looking forward to what you have to say. Build quality, fit, feel, etc. I will be waiting patiently. Where did you order if from?
    Yea that's right, it's a bucket o' shrimp!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEarn86 View Post
    Thanks Jack, I am looking forward to what you have to say. Build quality, fit, feel, etc. I will be waiting patiently. Where did you order if from?
    Here ya go! First pic is the full kit, left to right 20mm, 15mm, and 9/10mm QR all components are steel and appear to be pretty good fit & finish. The 15mm fits my fork much better than the previous fork mount no real tendency to slip out and I can shim this one if needed. The QR is at least as good as the one on the Delta that I'll toss with the added bonus it's rubber coated and thicker. The parts are all knurled so changeout is real quick. Took it out to my FJ, pulled the Delta and put the Origin8 in next to my ebay mount, stands a bit taller about as high as the Delta, but RIP9 still fits. I sometimes put 2 bikes in so I will get another without hesitation. I have an IH 7p3 I could try the 20mm on but no QR there.

RIP9 in place, this mount will go near where the Delta was in front of the ebay mount(laying to the left)

Literally a 30 second changeout to get the GT in with QR

I was running out of light so pic is blurry but closer to where it'll be (keep meaning to trim those cables)

mtbr member
    So I can't see the pictures but it is probably the work internet proxy blocking it so I will check it out when I get off. The Marine Corps blocks all kind of things in Afghanistan. So you would say better quality the the Delta? Have you ever seen Thule's mount? Do you see a need to shim?

mtbr member
    I like the Origin8 QR better than the Delta,but it's such a different animal to the point that's the only thing comparable. The comment about a shim was more directed to my old adapter, as it was a bit short and the diameter was a bit off also ~1mm, the Origin8 15mm fits as good as my CK hub in it. The only thing I've seen so far that needs some touch-up is a tiny bit of burring on one of the 20mm adapters towards the center side. That'll clean up in 2 seconds with a fine file or even emory cloth, not even sure it needs it though as it might just be black paint.

I've seen the Thule adapters before but it's been awhile, those are more like the ebay adapter build wise, but the Thules were unsuitable for this app so I didn't really give them a thorough going over. I'm pretty stoked on this adapter as it's the only one I've seen out there that can quickly adapt between the 3 fork standards, allowing me to simplify my setup. As said, I will be getting another one.

mtbr member
    That answers everything I needed to know, I am going to order two this weekend. Jack, your the man, thanks again. I will post pictures and setup once mine get in as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Here ya go! First pic is the full kit, left to right 20mm, 15mm, and 9/10mm QR all components are steel and appear to be pretty good fit & finish. The 15mm fits my fork much better than the previous fork mount no real tendency to slip out and I can shim this one if needed. The QR is at least as good as the one on the Delta that I'll toss with the added bonus it's rubber coated and thicker. The parts are all knurled so changeout is real quick. Took it out to my FJ, pulled the Delta and put the Origin8 in next to my ebay mount, stands a bit taller about as high as the Delta, but RIP9 still fits. I sometimes put 2 bikes in so I will get another without hesitation. I have an IH 7p3 I could try the 20mm on but no QR there.

RIP9 in place, this mount will go near where the Delta was in front of the ebay mount(laying to the left)

Literally a 30 second changeout to get the GT in with QR

I was running out of light so pic is blurry but closer to where it'll be (keep meaning to trim those cables)

What product/part is holding your front wheel? Is the 4'wide aluminum base part of a system?
    thanks in advance, I am looking to do the same set up you are using (15mm fork)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    What product/part is holding your front wheel? Is the 4'wide aluminum base part of a system?
    thanks in advance, I am looking to do the same set up you are using (15mm fork)
    The wheel holder is a Saris brand for the Saris triple track rack I'm using, though it could be used for others, held in place by a couple of carriage bolts plus wing nuts and lock washers used to hold the mounts also. Scored the Saris stuff cheap off ebay, expensive on Amazon for what it is. My triple track is the 35" wide I believe but there's a 47" also.

Amazon.com: Saris Wheel Holder for Saris Single or Triple Unique Mount Tracks: Sports & Outdoors

For the 15mm hub on the RIP I use a set of Mavic adapters 15mm/QR adapters, to hold the wheel in with a QR skewer. Pull out the rubber O-ring and they slide in and out much easier

Mavic 15mm to 9mm Q/R Adapter 2014 | Mavic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com