mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any Minivans Besides Dodge/Chrysler Feature Stow n' Go Seats?

I'm almost resigned to the fact I will buy a minivan as a daily driver/bike hauler/camping/dog vehicle. My question: has the stow n' go seating that Chrysler created been copied by other makers? The long term reliability of Chrysler products doesn't thrill me.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Honda Odyssey 2005-2010 second row seats can be removed and third row fold down into floor for complete flat bedding area…don't know if the newer ones do this or not...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Stow n go hasn't been copied. The stowage bins for the middle row are great for misc storage

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. Not sure how this thread got posted four times. Moderator, can you delete three of them? Can't seem to do this myself & I'm a little red faced here
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    You've just discovered the perfect MTB vehicle, so long as you don't care what other people think.

I have a '08 Dodge Grand Caravan I bought used with less than 5k miles in late 2008 for $17k cash. They are a super-common car, so the used market is plentiful (not like when I had my sights set for a used Volvo XC70... good luck with that, at least here in Texas).

I have Thule racks with an Atlantis 1800 XT box on top and mounted a hitch receiver for my 1-Up rack, but I rarely use it because I just fold the seats into the floor and roll the bike in and out. I can fold the seats up, add roof racks, and carry 6 people to the trail (well, honestly, I never do that - 6 people just take too long to get out the door). I have also folded the seats down and strung a camping hammock inside.

Dodge reliability ain't great, but it ain't bad, either. At least in my experience so far. After 5 years, I have had to do a brake job and replace a warped rotor. The initial buy-in is cheap, repairs can be done anywhere, and mileage is okay. Parts are cheap.

Expensive cars are a waste. You're just gonna ding them up, paint will fade, etc. Save the money for expensive bikes.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    You've just discovered the perfect MTB vehicle, so long as you don't care what other people think.

I have a '08 Dodge Grand Caravan I bought used with less than 5k miles in late 2008 for $17k cash. They are a super-common car, so the used market is plentiful (not like when I had my sights set for a used Volvo XC70... good luck with that, at least here in Texas).

I have Thule racks with an Atlantis 1800 XT box on top and mounted a hitch receiver for my 1-Up rack, but I rarely use it because I just fold the seats into the floor and roll the bike in and out. I can fold the seats up, add roof racks, and carry 6 people to the trail (well, honestly, I never do that - 6 people just take too long to get out the door). I have also folded the seats down and strung a camping hammock inside.

Dodge reliability ain't great, but it ain't bad, either. At least in my experience so far. After 5 years, I have had to do a brake job and replace a warped rotor. The initial buy-in is cheap, repairs can be done anywhere, and mileage is okay. Parts are cheap.

Expensive cars are a waste. You're just gonna ding them up, paint will fade, etc. Save the money for expensive bikes.
    I hear ya' and have been there with Mopar products. Had a Dakota (supposedly horrible truck) that gave me no issues at all. Then our Chrysler Sebring's engine gave up after only 120k despite meticulous maintenance and care. Go figure. I've always thought that minivans are the perfect biking vehicle, especially you like to camp. The kicker is my jumping into the fatbike world. My Pugsley was horribly pitted from salt exposure after 3 seasons of hauling it to the trail on a hitch rack. I have a carbon beargrease in my future and tossing it in the back of a minivan sure seems like a good idea!